Rollering varnish?

Featured Posts

As part of my slow internal refurb I've reached the revarnishing of my big cross bathroom doors. They're about 6ft2 tall and 4ft wide, so a fair acreage to cover, both sides. I'm using Goldspar Satin, and I'm only working in the early morning when it's cool, but I'm not happy with the finish I'm getting. The data sheet says it can be applied by roller, and I was thinking of giving that a go, using a foam roller and  tipping off with a brush to get rid of bubbles.  Does anyone have any experience, hopefully good, of applying satin varnish with a roller?

Thanks for the tips. I used those Screwfix rollers (which are in fact described explicitly as varnish rollers on the packaging), worked one door at a time, and tipped off the wet varnish with a dry soft 4" brush. I am a rank amateur when it comes to any kind of painting or varnishing, but the results are far better and much more even than I could achieve with a brush alone. Now psyching myself up for the ceiling panels later in the year... Additional lesson learned: de-bit the roller before you start, lest the first panel end up a bit fluffy!

• Happy 1