Squirrel back boiler condensation

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Hi all

Has anyone had experience of condensation inside their fire? Stupidly I closed the fire vents when I cleaned it and stuck the cap on the top of the flue. I think I have done the same in previous years to stop any smell. Today I noticed small drops of water inside the fire and more on the back boiler. Now this is either condensation, which it looks like, or the boiler sprung a small leak. Header tank still has water in. Any thoughts? 

Assuming you are somewhere in the UK its unlikely to be condensation - I don't imagine anywhere has been cold enough for the air to reach dew-point temperature.

dew point
noun
noun: dew point; plural noun: dew points; noun: dewpoint; plural noun: dewpoints
  1. the atmospheric temperature (varying according to pressure and humidity) below which water droplets begin to condense and dew can form.

It's not true  condensation, it's the acids and stuff in the deposits on the boiler from the coals attracting moisture from the air at above the dew point.   it will eventually eat your boiler. Technical term is deliquescence IIRC.  The way to cure it is to give the boiler a wash over with either lime wash or soda crystals to neutralise the acids.

Easier said than done though.

N