tv aeriel

Featured Posts

hi all, just got back from a three week trip on my nb, couldn't get any service on my tv anywhere so going to have to upgrade my aerial so could i get some suggestions on what kind of aerial i should be looking at buying, many thanks 

The answer is a log periodic - see lots of similar threads.

However, were you getting a good picture before and you've just started to struggle? If so, check your connections are clean and tight, remake any that are suspect, use a bit of silicone grease or vaseline to keep the moisture out, use F-type connectors in preference to push on where possible. Perhaps chop off the last couple of inches off the outside end of your cable if there's a chance water could have penetrated the end of the cable. If the coax is old and/or tatty replace it with PF100 or WF100.  A poor run from your aerial can lose you much of whatever signal you're receiving. 

16 minutes ago, BWM said:

There is a very recent thread covering this subject over the last week or so. 

but the search engine is crap, so the chances of finding it with a search are slim to nil.

Log periodic, not a short one. However, as above, if all was working well, then it wasn’t, it’s probably not the aerial.... what kind of aerial have you got?

29 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

but the search engine is crap, so the chances of finding it with a search are slim to nil.

Log periodic, not a short one. However, as above, if all was working well, then it wasn’t, it’s probably not the aerial.... what kind of aerial have you got?

Digidome working well Lewis on pole,

Are you sure it is the aerial that is the problem? Corroded connections in the coaxial cable between the aerial and the TV can lead to signal loss. Partial to complete Sometimes, even the cable can corrode if water has got in it. Open up as many connectors as you can and check the visual condition. The connection between aerial and cable, any through bulkhead connections that may exist and the one to TV, or digibox. Might save you buying a new aerial and finding the problem hasn't gone away. If possible, you could run a borrowed cable between the aerial and tv and see if it makes any difference.

Jen

12 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Are you sure it is the aerial that is the problem? Corroded connections in the coaxial cable between the aerial and the TV can lead to signal loss. Partial to complete Sometimes, even the cable can corrode if water has got in it. Open up as many connectors as you can and check the visual condition. The connection between aerial and cable, any through bulkhead connections that may exist and the one to TV, or digibox. Might save you buying a new aerial and finding the problem hasn't gone away. If possible, you could run a borrowed cable between the aerial and tv and see if it makes any difference.

Jen

Might even be a duff TV

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Agreed, I find more on this forum by googling than through the search facility. I use a one for all aerial, about £80 on Amazon and enjoy fantastic reception, even on the move. 

28 minutes ago, BWM said:

Agreed, I find more on this forum by googling than through the search facility. I use a one for all aerial, about £80 on Amazon and enjoy fantastic reception, even on the move. 

I'm not surprised - if you're location is in London as your bio suggests, you've got the huge Crystal Palace transmitter beaming megawatts of signal at you. I can even get a signal of sorts as far west as Marlow (that's not far from Henley-Actually if your bump of location is not that good) and that's with a short log periodic.

Folks don't seem to realise that TV signal varies from place to place so 'such and such' that works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. There's no hard and fast rule.... 

6 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I've found the Moonraker DTV 1000 to be the best. It has an amplifier built in at the aerial. Needs 12v or 240v power.

Used to be available from Maplins now Amazon or Ebay.

To the OP. Where are you and which transmitters were you trying to get reception from?

As Sea Dog says, Log periodics are the best. Anything else will be a compromise. Size does matter.

We have a log periodic and a moonraker. The moonraker is fine in stong signal areas but in weak reception areas the log period outshines it. Get the DTV app for you phone to find out where your nearest or best transmitters are. There are lots of areas on the cut where you wont get signals.

Lots of threads on TV antennas over the past 2 months.

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I'm not surprised - if you're location is in London as your bio suggests, you've got the huge Crystal Palace transmitter beaming megawatts of signal at you. I can even get a signal of sorts as far west as Marlow (that's not far from Henley-Actually if your bump of location is not that good) and that's with a short log periodic.

Folks don't seem to realise that TV signal varies from place to place so 'such and such' that works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. There's no hard and fast rule.... 

Not in London, i've relocated to Warwickshire and based my comment on our fairly regular travels. Even so, there are some very poor areas for coverage down there. 

13 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

To the OP. Where are you and which transmitters were you trying to get reception from?

As Sea Dog says, Log periodics are the best. Anything else will be a compromise. Size does matter.

We have a log periodic and a moonraker. The moonraker is fine in stong signal areas but in weak reception areas the log period outshines it. Get the DTV app for you phone to find out where your nearest or best transmitters are. There are lots of areas on the cut where you wont get signals.

Lots of threads on TV antennas over the past 2 months.

i moor at shardlow in derbyshire,and once we left there to cruise to the llangollen basin we could`nt get a signal at anytime,so no tv for three weeks,i did`nt miss it but the mrs`s did

19 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

i`ve got vision plus status 335, less than a year old with new coax cable to the signal booster box then on to tv

19 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

But of course any search engine would have a  better chance if people could spell "aerial".  (See title of this thread!)

15 hours ago, BWM said:

Agreed, I find more on this forum by googling than through the search facility.

But the default search facility for the forum now uses Google!

If I simply use the default forum search, entering the word "aerial", this recent thread comes up in the list below the posts already made in this one....

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But of course any search engine would have a  better chance if people could spell "aerial".  (See title of this thread!)

But the default search facility for the forum now uses Google!

If I simply use the default forum search, entering the word "aerial", this recent thread comes up in the list below the posts already made in this one....

That's the thread I was thinking of, perhaps less is more when searching, I.e just using one word?

2 hours ago, dreadnought said:

i`ve got vision plus status 335, less than a year old with new coax cable to the signal booster box then on to tv

Don't use a booster as default option - if a clean but weak signal is the issue they can help, but if there's noise or interference they simply make that bigger too.