empty pound on T & M

markeymark

Featured Posts

Just to let you know that the pound is too low to pass between locks 69 and 70 , south of Middlewich on T&M and there are now 6 boats waiting to go south and 3 to go North......could be a long wait as after 4 hours of moving water its still too low

We're at lock 70 along with three other boats, the first of which arrived at 9am.

An Anderson hire boat went through about 30 min ago, despite advice he may not get to lock 69 (the pound is still very, very low) so keep your eyes open.

I think we've written off today, although it is daylight until 10ish.

C&RT are apparently letting water down from Malkins Bank/Pierpoint area.

Rog

1 hour ago, dogless said:

We're at lock 70 along with three other boats, the first of which arrived at 9am.

An Anderson hire boat went through about 30 min ago, despite advice he may not get to lock 69 (the pound is still very, very low) so keep your eyes open.

I think we've written off today, although it is daylight until 10ish.

C&RT are apparently letting water down from Malkins Bank/Pierpoint area.

Rog

Coming down from Red Bull. Met man from CRT running water down Peirpoint Locks. A cheerful man but a bit pissed off that having asked for assistance they've sent him one other man. That's to cover some 7 miles and a dozen locks. 

Mind you, we're moored at Halsall Green and there's plenty of water! 

got down from lock 69 to Middlewich this am but there will be a queue for boats going up..how long is anyones guess. Do NOT recommend going through the pound between locks 70 and 69 without finding out if there is enough water

1 hour ago, archie57 said:

Any news on this yet?

Very very low below King's. Stuck badly under the bridge. 

However CRT are on the case now. A full team of 4 rather than Saturdays 2 and Sundays 1. 

18 hours ago, pearley said:

Very very low below King's. Stuck badly under the bridge. 

However CRT are on the case now. A full team of 4 rather than Saturdays 2 and Sundays 1. 

If that is the pound below Kings Lock where the junction with the Middlewich branch is, then I wonder why the don't empty the currently redundant water from the Middlewich branch, through Maureen's Lock, into the T&M, as well as running water down the "Heartbreak Hill" locks?

Edited by cuthound

The pound below Middlewich Kings Lock is, as said, where the Wardle Branch joins. There is also a basin that once served the Mid Cheshire Alkali Works. If there was a historic and agreed extraction of water there is it possible that this might be a reason for the low pound.  

This attached section of the 25 in 1898 O/S shows the end of that basin:

Middlewich1.png

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

The pound below Middlewich Kings Lock is, as said, where the Wardle Branch joins. There is also a basin that once served the Mid Cheshire Alkali Works. If there was a historic and agreed extraction of water there is it possible that this might be a reason for the low pound.  

Middlewich1.png

Any chance putting up the bit of that map,that shows the location of Middlewich Dry Dock please?

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

If that is the pound below Kings Lock where the junction with the Middlewich branch is, then I wonder why the don't empty the currently redundant water from the Middlewich branch, through Maureen's Lock, into the T&M, as well as running water down the "Heartbreak Hill" locks?

I don't think that would go too far and there are quite a few end of garden moorings on that stretch.  Much better to put a pump in above Stanthorne Lock and feed a similar amount of water to norfmal lockage below the dam so that it runs down to the junction. 

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

Middlewich1.png

Looks like the very end of the basin as been infilled to make the slipway for King Lock Boatyard. Mid Cheshire Works now a Trading Estate

Edited by pearley

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

And 67 as well.

Looks like you are staying put!

Well I am but, as you'll know from our passing at that swing bridge on the Peak Forest, I'm stuck between the Marple and Bosley stoppages! Whichever opens first probably decides my route! :boat:  Enjoy Bugsworth! 

11 minutes ago, pearley said:

Looks like the very end of the basin as been infilled to make the slipway for King Lock Boatyard. Mid Cheshire Works now a Trading Estate

Here is an aerial view from Google maps, most of it looks to be in water still

Capture.JPG