Tidal boating - new RYA safety application

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I registered my boat with the Coastguard a while ago (for our Wash crossing) - a system called CG66. It means they have access to useful data in case of emergency.

It's now being replaced with a new free system, developed by the RYA, called safetrx.  It looks really rather neat. For example it will send your emergency contacts a text message if you are late in arriving at your destination. Following a 999 call, the coastguard would have access to it, and the tracking data from your phone, in case of emergency.

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/safe-boating/keep-in-touch/Pages/safetrx.aspx 

I have just sail to the corner shops, to buy some beer for the football match  this afternoon. You can see if I arrive safely here, the system has the facility to share a URL like this.  Could be handy for lots of canal related purposes! (NB I have defined my boat as a "canal sloop", I will give them some feedback on that!).  I thought I might use the "divers down" facility next time I go down the weed hatch.

https://safetrx.rya.org.uk/sharetrip.html?id=IKT0SIUEBGEW&token=l0he03cu663g51e8t6t7icaf3o

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I just tried your link which it states was last updated at 13:43 and shows you as being between Lords cricket ground and Brent cross.  I clicked on your little dot on the map and it states GPS accuracy is very good.  

Yup, that was bang on...

Is CG66 the one that is covered on the VHF course?  If it is I was surprised that the form did have Narrowboat as one of the categories of vessel.  I never filled it in though.

As an aside when I spoke to Selby lock yesterday, there a a boat in trouble on the tidal Ouse, and they were waiting for the fire brigade to launch their boat and tow it back to Naburn.  Was surprised it was the fire brigade and not the coastguard.  Hope I don’t have need for their help tomorrow.