Nitromors ineffective owing to the heat

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

In what way is petrol less efficient now compared to 20 or 30 years ago?

Lower octane rating and limited storage life are just two. 

3 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I used to get 17-31 mpg in my Rover 90 back in the 60s. Now my neighbour regularly gets over 50 mpg frown his old Mini Minor. 

That is down to engine efficiency with all its electronic control and absolutely nothing to do with the fuel. 

The v8 engine in a p5 rover was an absolute pleasure to drive, and the more modern lower compression versions just don't measure up. The rope crankseal was a pain though!

Edited by BWM

28 minutes ago, rogeriko said:

Dichloromethane

Banned by the EU in 2010

Not exactly banned but the Occupational Exposure Level can only be met with appropriate ventilation and correct application techniques - hence it is not available to the general public.

Paramose paint stripper contains dichloromethane and whilst in theory it is only sold to the trade, is actually quite easy to acquire - and it works!

Chris Gis 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Lower octane rating and limited storage life are just two. 

That is down to engine efficiency with all its electronic control and absolutely nothing to do with the fuel. 

The v8 engine in a p5 rover was an absolute pleasure to drive, and the more modern lower compression versions just don't measure up. The rope crankseal was a pain though!

Nothing to do with banned components. Quality of fuel is all about what the refineries blend into the gasoline to meet the current specs. Too much C4 is a big problem. No benzene is a big advantage.

Have you tried drain cleaner - there's quite a bit of info on Google. It's cheaper too.

I've used it on stripping wood to good effect, except you've to be careful not to leave it too long on wood as it can make the wood crack when drying out, not tried it on metal though

Edited by Jennifer McM

4 hours ago, Batavia said:

Not exactly banned but the Occupational Exposure Level can only be met with appropriate ventilation and correct application techniques - hence it is not available to the general public.

Paramose paint stripper contains dichloromethane and whilst in theory it is only sold to the trade, is actually quite easy to acquire - and it works!

Chris Gis 

Funnily enough I had the same problem trying to acquire Proper Creosote , I sourced it on the Internet and simply gave a Business Address for the delivery , job done

24 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Funnily enough I had the same problem trying to acquire Proper Creosote , I sourced it on the Internet and simply gave a Business Address for the delivery , job done

I too have had the runaround trying to buy creosote.  Everyone I called prior to visiting to check, turned out not to stock it at all. Just a water-based stain designed for putting on fences. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too have had the runaround trying to buy creosote.  Everyone I called prior to visiting to check, turned out not to stock it at all. Just a water-based stain designed for putting on fences. 

You want the Bartoline stuff Mike direct from their Website , about £70 for a 5 gallon Drum

Edited by Parahandy

Langlow stripper pro is excellent stuff, but lethal to any living organism. Available from automotive trade paint suppliers. R H Services Middlewich, 01606 835532. Usual noo connection other than satisfied customer.

I stripped many coats of black gooey 1950s paint from an aluminium casting in two applications. And two toothbrushes.

I get creosote from Creocote Ltd, EBay. Need trade address. This stuff is so dangerous the wife looked like a ghost dressed in the protective overall! Very fetching.

You need to be very aware using this kind of stuff.

Mike.

53 minutes ago, The Ents said:

Langlow stripper pro is excellent stuff, but lethal to any living organism. Available from automotive trade paint suppliers. R H Services Middlewich, 01606 835532. Usual noo connection other than satisfied customer.

I stripped many coats of black gooey 1950s paint from an aluminium casting in two applications. And two toothbrushes.

I get creosote from Creocote Ltd, EBay. Need trade address. This stuff is so dangerous the wife looked like a ghost dressed in the protective overall! Very fetching.

You need to be very aware using this kind of stuff.

Mike.

Thanks for that Mike I shall get onto the local Automotive Paint Supplier on Monday , I hadn't even considered the fact that the Nitromors " recipe " had been changed , in fact I was resolved to purchasing another tin , what a great Forum this is for this sort of informed opinion , I was simply putting the Products ineffectiveness down to the heat

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

As everyone has told you Nitromors just ain't the same since "the improvement" ……….

Oddly, although the active ingredients aren't included, and basically you're left with the jelly, the price is still eye watering.

You can buy the original if you declare you are a professional with industrial workshops and all of the Safety Elfins at your disposal.

Even more odd is that if you go on eBay and search for the no longer included active ingredient you can just buy it, no questions asked.

And because Nitromors won't tell you how much of the brain rotting nasty stuff they put in the jelly, you're then tempted to guess the quantities ….. which isn't dangerous at all is it?

Yep, go onto e bay and you can source the proper stuff (not that I would)

Oh dear, are we really suggesting that we go back to the bad old days when products actually worked, petrol could be left in your tank for a year without gumming up the carbs, paint stripper stripped paint and the fumes killed us all...............

Oh, hang on, we're still here.

The idea that drinking a gallon will kill a rat, so ban it was a brilliant step by the establishment. Prices could go up and production costs could go down. Win all round (except for the general public).