Whats going On ?

Parahandy

Featured Posts

Has anyone else noticed the complete absence of Grass Cutting on the Towpath this Summer on the GU South , no doubt they are waiting for the Snow before they start .

Have Fountains lost this Contract or am I simply mistaken ?

Drat, I thought this was going to be a Marvin Gaye tribute topic.

Can't speak for the G.U., but on out South Oxford patch, they didn't cut the verges until June, which is much later than usual. Perhaps CART are reducing the number of cuts per year.

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Ànd on our local community website someone is whinging about council workers mowing grass that isn't growing due to the lack of rain for weeks.

Yup, I drove past two council mowers Today that were doing nothing more than making a dust cloud. 

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Has anyone else noticed the complete absence of Grass Cutting on the Towpath this Summer on the GU South , no doubt they are waiting for the Snow before they start .

Have Fountains lost this Contract or am I simply mistaken ?

I have heard it said that Fountains were connected to Carillion.

I have seen grass cutting in a couple of places recently and they were not Fountains men.

George

No grass cutting down our way on the South Stratford.

On our moorings many lawn mowers have been bought and we’re doing it ourselves.

I just wish they had the balls to say, sorry cash is tight and we can’t afford to cut the grass, but the only suggestion I’ve heard is to create a wildlife margin, we moor in the middle of acres or grass and woodland.

I spoke to someone from CRT last week near Banbury. He was in fact from the GU south area. He mentioned that grass cutting has been reduced from seven to five cuts. Why they don't cut the edges I've no idea.

39 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I have heard it said that Fountains were connected to Carillion.

I have seen grass cutting in a couple of places recently and they were not Fountains men.

George

Fountains are owned OCS, as far as I am aware their only link is veg management trackside as a contractor

http://www.fountainsgroup.co.uk/about_us/registered_companies

13 hours ago, Athy said:

Drat, I thought this was going to be a Marvin Gaye tribute topic.

Can't speak for the G.U., but on out South Oxford patch, they didn't cut the verges until June, which is much later than usual. Perhaps CART are reducing the number of cuts per year.

you must have missed the February cut

11 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I spoke to someone from CRT last week near Banbury. He was in fact from the GU south area. He mentioned that grass cutting has been reduced from seven to five cuts. Why they don't cut the edges I've no idea.

At least if thy don't cut the edges they don't fill the canal with cuttings.

George

8 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

At least if thy don't cut the edges they don't fill the canal with cuttings.

George

The worst thing George is returning to your Boat and finding the cuttings effectively welded onto the gunnels on account of the heat , a good soaking with a Mop works wonders

3 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Well there has at this juncture been nothing " Cut " between Cosgrove and the Three Locks so far this Summer , time will tell I guess

Pictures taken on that stretch in May

It's hardly a jungle, is it ?

P1000872.JPG

P1000877.JPG

P1000881.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

P1000865.JPG

P1000867.JPG

15 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Fountains are owned OCS, as far as I am aware their only link is veg management trackside as a contractor

http://www.fountainsgroup.co.uk/about_us/registered_companies

I don’t think I have seen this before but up in the North East Fountains clean the service facilities.  The apear to do it every day, and I suspect in many case no one has used the facilities since the previous day, there a lots of comprehensive facilities and few boats.

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Quite a bit of cutting on the GU north of Napton up to Kingswood Jnct

And onwards through Lapworth up through Knowle, i've noticed that they don't cut next to moored boats-a dead giveaway, highlighting those that don't like moving. 

I noticed on the south oxford in June that they had cut the towpath side of locks but not the other, maybe they didn't have time. We saw the van arrive at 8:30 but work started after 10:00 and they were back in the van by 15:30 but it stayed parked until 1659 when it raced off. I think they need trackers fitted to the mower and strimmer not the van, so the boss sees working fine and not time in the car park.

Edited by Detling
Fat fingers

13 minutes ago, Detling said:

I noticed on the south oxford in June that they had cut the towpath side of locks but not the other, maybe they didn't have time. We saw the van arrive at 8:30 but work started after 10:00 and they were back in the van by 15:30 but it stayed parked until 1659 when it raced off. I think they need trackers fitted to the mower and strimmer not the van, so the boss sees working fine and not time in the car park.

The wrong side of locks is often a separate operation due to the difficulty of getting plant to the far side.

Having worked for British Rail in the past, I have no comment on your subsequent comments!

George