L & L - probable closure coming at Gargrave/Barnoldswick

PaulJ

Featured Posts

Just seen this on Facebook (posted by Bear Boating) although I havent seen the CaRT notice personally..

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS 
We have received notification from the Canal & River Trust that due to extreme water shortages on the Leeds/Liverpool Canal they will be closing the section between Gargrave and Barnoldswick later this month. This of course means that we can no longer offer one way trips and that all holidays will operate out and back of Apperley Bridge Marina until further notice. 
If you have already received your joining instructions you will receive a revised copy if your holiday is effected.
Anyone who has booked a one way trip that can no longer run will of course be refunded the one way supplement.
We apologise for any disappointment this may cause but as we are sure you can understand this is completely out of our control.

Edited by NB Lola
Title error

47 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Just seen this on Facebook (posted by Bear Boating) although I havent seen the CaRT notice personally..

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS 
We have received notification from the Canal & River Trust that due to extreme water shortages on the Leeds/Liverpool Canal they will be closing the section between Gargrave and Barnoldswick later this month. This of course means that we can no longer offer one way trips and that all holidays will operate out and back of Apperley Bridge Marina until further notice. 
If you have already received your joining instructions you will receive a revised copy if your holiday is effected.
Anyone who has booked a one way trip that can no longer run will of course be refunded the one way supplement.
We apologise for any disappointment this may cause but as we are sure you can understand this is completely out of our control.

Not surprising really, that section was very low last week.

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

We were going that way originally but changed to a trip down the Trent seems like it was good idea ?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and scenery of L &L but have to say having just come down the Trent, it was bludy nice to have some water under the boat again. Its a wonder I didnt wear through the baseplate it grounded that many times ?

17 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and scenery of L &L but have to say having just come down the Trent, it was bludy nice to have some water under the boat again. Its a wonder I didnt wear through the baseplate it grounded that many times ?

It was the same last time I went on the L & L scraping the bottom all the way, and last year to Huddersfield was no different

As I'm heading towards the section probably going to be closed, I phoned CRT to get a timescale.  Vicky in the Wigan office (I think) denied any knowledge of a proposed closure, and quoted the lock restriction notices, which I already know about.  They've had loads of phone calls about this, so she asked me where I got the info. I quoted the Bear Boating notice in the OP, but she still denied everything.

But I have since had two independent word of mouth quotes of 28/29 July for the closure, second hand from the 'men on the ground'. 

So I'm pressing on.

Thats strange. I cant imagine Bear Boating offering refunds on a rumour somehow.

Can I suggest if the  L&L shuts while Mac is on it that any local boater padlocks his boat up before he can back pedal to elsewhere.. ?

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

As I'm heading towards the section probably going to be closed, I phoned CRT to get a timescale.  Vicky in the Wigan office (I think) denied any knowledge of a proposed closure, and quoted the lock restriction notices, which I already know about.  They've had loads of phone calls about this, so she asked me where I got the info. I quoted the Bear Boating notice in the OP, but she still denied everything.

But I have since had two independent word of mouth quotes of 28/29 July for the closure, second hand from the 'men on the ground'. 

So I'm pressing on.

Can you dawdle a bit please?

I will be going up Wigan next week as they are reopening Marple flight tomorrow, and you seem to be jinxed this year! 

Bear boating post on here occasionally, perhaps they could confirm?? (I can't immediately recall their user name)

This is the obvious one but I thought it was a different user name.

@bearBOATING

This is them as well I believe

@JessicaBOO

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

Nick, what do you expect them to do?
They cannot control the weather and make it rain suddenly. At least they have given a decent amount of warning for the closure and not said "Tomorrow"!

What they could do is to maintain the locks such that so much water isn’t wasted. You’ll notice they talk about ashing up the gates, which would be necessary if they didn’t leak so much. They could also dredge the reservoirs so they hold more water. Ultimately you are right in that they cannot control the weather, but what they can do is to make the most of whatever water they do have by not allowing it to go to waste.

It is too easy for CRT to just use the weather to absolve themselves of any responsibility. Even in normal years, the L&L can be short of water due to all the wastage. It doesn’t have to be like that.

• Greenie 2

Original message:

Due to the continued drawdown of the reservoirs, the prolonged low rainfall and with the forecast for further dry weather, the Trust will be implementing temporary closures to navigation between Wigan Flight (from below lock 85) and Gargrave (from below lock 30) commencing on Monday 30 July. 

The lock flights at Wigan (locks 65 to 85), Barrowford Locks (45 to 51), Greenberfield Locks (42 to 44), Bank Newton Locks (36 to 41) and Gargrave (Holme Bridge Lock 30) will be padlocked closed and the gates will be ashed up to reduce leakage.  To prevent unauthorised access though vandalism, measures will be taken to make the locks inoperable. 

It’s not clear how long the closure will last for but it’s likely to be throughout August and potentially beyond if there is no significant, sustained rainfall. While the closure will prevent use of that stretch of canal by boats the towpath will remain open for visitors and the local community alike to enjoy.

In the meantime, boaters can help conserve water by:

• Sharing locks where possible and making the best use of the water available.

• Ensuring paddles are fully closed once they’ve passed through a lock.

• Aiming for minimal contact when navigating through locks by ensuring gates are fully open as they pass through. Pushing gates open using a boat can damage the gate lining, increasing its leakage.

An update will follow with FAQ. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13480/leeds-and-liverpool-canal

Just received this from C & RT well that makes our 10 days off in August a short cruise, just how far is it from the top of Barrowford to the top of Grenberfield

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting that they don't mention Blackburn flight or Johnson's Hillock flight. 

Maybe they have no one in the office who knows they exist! 

I just came up both within the past 2 days. There were no restrictions, and plenty of water available.  However the very long pound below Jackson's Hillock was about 8ins down.

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Could somebody change the typo on the e thread subject heading. It should read Gargrave, not Hargrave.

Thanks

Howard

Well spotted! I hadnt even noticed I had typed that wrong.Fat fingers an all..

C & RT have now put time restrictions on Bingley 3 and 5 Rise, we won't be able to go anywhere soon unless it rains.

Original message:

Due to the continued drawdown of the reservoirs, the prolonged low rainfall and with the forecast for further dry weather, starting today, the Trust is restricting opening hours daily at the following locations:  

·        

• Bingley Five Rise and Bingley Three Rise Locks will be restricted to passage at the following times; passage down in the morning (between 8am and 12pm) and passage up in the afternoon (between 1pm and 5pm).

The lock flights will be padlocked closed at 5pm.  Please ensure that you enter the lock flight with sufficient time to get through, noting the last passage commencement times above.  Moorings are available at the top and bottom of the flights. 

We will continue to monitor the water resources and updates will be issued should the situation change.  Please follow the guidance given by representatives of the Trust or on site signage. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13481/leeds-and-liverpool-canal-bingley-3-and-5-rise

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices