Boat sunk in Clifton Hampden Lock

Grassman

Featured Posts

A vessel which we have been told is a narrowboat, has sunk in Clifton Hampden Lock (between Wallingford and Abingdon on the Thames). It happened yesterday and the EA website says the lock is due to be reopened later today. Obviously there is quite a build up of waiting boats and moorings within a mile or two each side of it are hard to come by.

We're heading towards it from the south and have found a nice spot near Days Lock to sit it out until it clears. We're in the shade and have a good TV signal so we might stay here until after the footy tomorrow :) .

Notice

Clifton Lock sunken boat: river closure notice

Updated 5 July 2018

When

From 12 noon on Thursday 5 July to 12 noon on Friday 6 July 2018

Where

Clifton Lock

Details

• Clifton Lock will be closed to all boats due to the sinking of a vessel in the chamber.
  • No public mooring will be allowed in the lock laybys, up and downstream of Clifton lock.
  • The main navigation channel will remain open throughout the incident up and downstream of the lock.
  • There is no passage through Clifton Lock at this time.

This closure is for the safety of river users, pollution prevention and to recover the sunken craft. We apologise for any inconvenience it may cause.

Edited by Grassman

For the benefit of those not on FB:

Single handed going up, no lock keeper, boat got pulled forward as top paddles opened, caught on the top gate, sank in less than a minute. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Single handed going up, no lock keeper, boat got pulled forward as top paddles opened, caught on the top gate, sank in less than a minute. 

The post is global privacy, so you don’t need to be on FB to view it

Later news posted on YBW Thames forum is that the lock is now closed until Sunday.

It is said that the crane ordered for yesterday didn't turn up so the promise for earlier today didn't materialise. I suspect they really needed a larger crane than anticipated. It needs a long reach to get from the lane to the lockside.

Its quite a shallow lock and in normal operation it fills quite slowly - so perhaps the boat surged forwards - not tying off at both ends ??  and got caught under the gate cross members which are quite deep.

1 hour ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Everyone is blaming the lack of a lockkeeper, but was the workboat properly tied with two ropes? I always use two ropes when ascending on the Thames, even in unattended locks.

Is there no emergency button to make the hydraulics shut all the paddles? I can't remember!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it as reliable as all the other buttons and levers? ?

No Levers no more ,just a Stainless Steel Panel with Nice Clicky Buttons operating 3-4 Stage Sluices/Paddles and Momentary Button for the Gates

Edited by cereal tiller

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it as reliable as all the other buttons and levers? ?

As Cereal tiller stated - PLUS full instructions attached to either side of each cabinet - if somebody hasn't removed them (people do the strangest things).
 A sample panel is shown below. I don't have a recent copy of the instructions, The one below is very old and has since been updated several times

To answer your question - yes, it is I tried it recently and the operation stopped instantly

You just push the sluices down button and the system stops.

If the photo of the boat on facebook was as heavily laden as that, I guess there was not much time to react - but hey - I wasn't there, so I don't know... 

lock cabinet 2.JPG

Lock cabinet 5.JPG

4 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Given that it was a workboat, it is likely to have had a key for the steamer switch. I wonder whether he whacked the sluices straight up ... 

Doubt it, there was another boat in the lock as well by the looks of it.

40 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Given that it was a workboat, it is likely to have had a key for the steamer switch. I wonder whether he whacked the sluices straight up ... 

The "Steamer" switch will not allow instant full Sluices with the modern Control Panel.the 3-4 Stage Timed procedure still applies.

42 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

The "Steamer" switch will not allow instant full Sluices with the modern Control Panel.the 3-4 Stage Timed procedure still applies.

That isn't my experience ... I have seen full lockkeeper power available at many locks. Sluices straight up, straight down, even up both ends (by mistake).

If the timed procedure still applied it would be very frustrating having to wait for an empty lock to fill, to allow a boat to descend. Particularly at Culham, which at 20 minutes to fill is sufficient time for a shower and breakfast.

I'm so glad we heard about it early and found this lovely spot a couple of miles down river from it (just below Days Lock) to sit it out and wait. At the time I started this thread I wasn't willing to trust their estimation so we decided to moor up for the day rather than get any closer to it. I bet it was chaos with everyone trying to find moorings nearer there.

14 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I'm so glad we heard about it early and found this lovely spot a couple of miles down river from it (just below Days Lock) to sit it out and wait. At the time I started this thread I wasn't willing to trust their estimation so we decided to moor up for the day rather than get any closer to it. I bet it was chaos with everyone trying to find moorings nearer there.

There are plenty of moorings  above Day's lock on both sides if the wind's not blowing - but where you are is good anyway.

Only a short walk into Dorchester where there are good pubs - or walk up to Day's and up Wittenham Clumps if you want some exercise.

8 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Like the sage in YBW said, why not pump the fecking lock dry then pump the bote. Be done in a twinkle of the insurance mans eye.

If only life was that simple- bottom gates would be the wrong way round so you would probably still need a crane to install whatever sort of stop planks they would have to fit (and I havent a clue what) ?

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

But was not alone in the lock, there were other people there

I get ticked off by my friends on the Thames for making guesses - thereby fuelling the fire, but - hey why not...

It's an unusual lock with no apparent cill at the top gate. It's also shallow with 3ft (?) drop - so there may be some considerations that we don't know about. Even if the lock was pumped out there's a possibility that the hopper has a broken back, so you may not be able to refloat it.

If there was zilch freeboard as the facebook pics: showed, you'd still have to lighten the load, thus  a crane is still needed to lighten it / or remove the boat anyway. It'll need a 200 ton crane to lift much at that radius.

There are a number of commercial folks on the Thames who know what's what and hopefully the local waterway manager will have contacted the experts.

I have a general  message for visitors and those locals who argue -

ALWAYS use two lines when working up or down a Thames lock, one at the stern and one at the bow - even if it's inconvenient DO IT. If you're lockside  you have a chance to correct a situation with fore and aft lines - with (say) just a centre line you have less control and WATCH what's happening.

Thames locks are very safe with good lockgear - but 'we' have to monitor what's happening even if the lock is staffed. Your boat, Your responsibility

Follow the general rules and you'll have an enjoyable trip. We've been on the River for 30+ years and it's great - just be sensible....

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, and it appears the skipper wasn’t paying attention. 

My guess, but afraid to assume - do you have any information?

47 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

My guess, but afraid to assume - do you have any information?

None, no. Only the report of what happened (moved fwd then hung up). Just my assumption. 

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

There are plenty of moorings  above Day's lock on both sides if the wind's not blowing - but where you are is good anyway.

Only a short walk into Dorchester where there are good pubs - or walk up to Day's and up Wittenham Clumps if you want some exercise.

Thanks for the info. We will stay here until we know the lock has re-opened. We have enough beer, wine, and milk to last until Monday. Too hot for walking far but the trek to Dorchester will be an option should we run low on those vital supplies.