How old is too old?

The dog lady

Featured Posts

☺️

42 minutes ago, Furness said:

I remember the Romans leaving Britain as though it was last week!

Nope, it was 2 weeks ago, i saw them go.

Edited by Mike Hurley
Smiley insert from a Roman.

Not sure how all this sex stuff got mixed up in here - I thought this was a sober, chaste and learned forum for serious boatsters!?

Me and him are agile enough but middle-aged labrador might take some persuading to hop from tow path to rear apron. Might have to rig up a mini-gangplank. Anyone else have dog boarding issues?

2 hours ago, The dog lady said:

Not sure how all this sex stuff got mixed up in here - I thought this was a sober, chaste and learned forum for serious boatsters!?

....er, No. 

2 hours ago, The dog lady said:

Yes.

• Haha 2

No idea about starting at an advanced age but a good bit of advice given to me at a younger age similar to the carpenter with his measure twice cut once the advice was Think carefully twice & act once

yes defo go for it im 55 soon and then its the cut for me and the wife cannot wait I've jenned up on here going on the necessary course to get my hand in and then its a lifetime dream come true and im looking forward to my 1st winter the colder the better, just bring it mother nature

More pearls of wisdom. What a wise lot you are. Sensible advice though but too late to think twice - been awake at 4am for the last week wondering what on earth we've done and how to get our money back! We have been dithering for nearly a year, looking at so many boats the broker must be sick of us. So now or never. Survey in hand so we are on our way.

14 minutes ago, The dog lady said:

More pearls of wisdom. What a wise lot you are. Sensible advice though but too late to think twice - been awake at 4am for the last week wondering what on earth we've done and how to get our money back! We have been dithering for nearly a year, looking at so many boats the broker must be sick of us. So now or never. Survey in hand so we are on our way.

Buyers regret is quite normal for most of us. Once you get out on your first cruise it will disipate to "Why didn' t we buy a boat sooner."?

9 hours ago, The dog lady said:

Can we know the boat and where you will be yet

Edited by Halsey

On 06/07/2018 at 20:36, The dog lady said:

Me and him are agile enough but middle-aged labrador might take some persuading to hop from tow path to rear apron. Might have to rig up a mini-gangplank. Anyone else have dog boarding issues?

The dear departed dog in my avator suffered a bout of vestibular disease which left him very unsteady on his feet in his last couple of years.

We got an aluminium ladder, covered with chequerplate to act as a gangplank for him. It is lighter than a wooden one and wider.

We also got him a lifejacket with a handle, which made getting him out of the cut a lot easier. 

Finally some boats have an almost vertical set of steps from stern deck to cabin, which are particukarly unfriendly for elderly dogs. The best stern for elderly dogs is a modern trad with the engine at the rear. The steps go over and down beside the engine making access easier for them. Some cruiser sterns have dog friendly steps into the cabin as well.

On 06/07/2018 at 20:36, The dog lady said:

Oh yes, in fact I reckon getting the dogs on/off the boat has been our main headache over the years we've been boating.  Not so bad when the dogs are fit and healthy but a large elderly/ailing dog can be a real handicap.  The best boat we've been on for dogs was actually a hire boat that had a big cruiser stern and nice big steps down to the cabin.  Even so, unless you can get the boat right up to the towpath side there's always a risk of the dog trapping a leg in the gap, it's happened to us so many times it's the main reason why we now have a shallow draught boat with a V shaped hull.  

On 08/07/2018 at 08:38, The dog lady said:

Will share all soon as we get the keys. A few hurdles to negotiate still, so won't jinx anything. Our local waters are the Gt Ouse and Nene.

Understood we moored with Mark and Jackie at Oundle for a number of years great fun and a great starting area