GRP roof leak - quick fix?

Featured Posts

I was cursing all the rain we had in the first four months of the year, as Lutine's roof leaks and it wouldn't dry out, needless to say in this dry spell I've been too busy to get to the boat!

The basic problem is a dip in the roof where water can pond. Obvious in the photo by the black bit. Water sitting here will find even the tiniest leak. In the long term the entire cabin needs stripping back, re-coating and repainting, as well as doing something about the dip (which shows up in the ceiling as well). That's a time consuming job, probably for next year.

Is there a quick fix in the meantime? Just to last this winter (or even just the next rain whenever it comes?) Paint? I'd thought if putting a lid over the area but the dip will collect water unless the lid covers the whole roof! 

20180705_192838.jpg

43 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Cover it all in EDPM sheeting.

Isn’t that the thing I keep getting emails about...?

oh no... GDPR...

• Haha 1

Can you push the soffit up - and thus return the roof to a better shape? Maybe a timber prop off the floor with something to spread the point loads. 

If you can shed the water off the roof it will help greatly.  Whilst the dip remains, it will be susceptible to leaks.  MTBs tarp will work better if it is packed up over the dip - and sufficiently sized to ensure that the water runs away at its edges rather than back underneath.

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Cover it all in EDPM sheeting. 25 year guarantee, looks quite smart if neatly applied. 

A friend with a grp top tried this and was delighted with the results. 

Checked it out - looks a good permanent solution. Only question is whether to straighten the roof first or leave it as it is

12 hours ago, Tacet said:

Can you push the soffit up - and thus return the roof to a better shape? Maybe a timber prop off the floor with something to spread the point loads. 

If you can shed the water off the roof it will help greatly. 

Very much aware of this - unsure of how to raise the roof and wary of causing further damage, but yes it's the ponding at this location that really causes the issue

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The normal quick and dirty fix is bung a tarp over it.

Agreed - bit concerned that because of the dip water will simply collect under the tarp. 

Edited by magpie patrick