Lost Camera, Nafford Lock, River Avon

Oliver200

Featured Posts

My dear parents are currently on our narrowboat Oliver on the river Avon near Tewkesbury.

My father forgot to pick his camera back up when they left Nafford Lock at ~1pm today - he's since cycled back there but it's gone, so hopefully some kind soul has picked it up to return it to the ANT base in Stratford or Tewkesbury. Other than looking at the photos to get the boat name I'm not sure it's traceable back to him though, so if anyone sees or hears anything, please do get in touch. I think he's more annoyed at losing the photos than anything! 

I've suggested in future he leaves some contact details attached to it (it's not the first time he's had to go back for his camera, but it is the first time it wasn't where he'd left it!)

Many thanks,

Toby

When he gets his next camera tell him to take a photo of all his contact details that he's happy to have circulated.

Then never delete it whenever he downloads.

That way the first photo on it will always be his contact stuff.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

When he gets his next camera tell him to take a photo of all his contact details that he's happy to have circulated.

I have been told by a "techie" that you need to format the cards periodically to get the best from them and make them last longer.  Not sure how your idea works alongside that advice.

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Or do what I do and get some contact detail labels printed and stick them to the camera/device. I have had many hundred pounds worth of devices returned to me via this method.

Tim

14 hours ago, Jerra said:

I have been told by a "techie" that you need to format the cards periodically to get the best from them and make them last longer.  Not sure how your idea works alongside that advice.

I've never had to re-format a camera card, however if I had to, I guess I'd simply take another photo of my phone number …. doh!

• Happy 1

17 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I've never had to re-format a camera card, however if I had to, I guess I'd simply take another photo of my phone number …. doh!

It isn't a question of having to format the card!  It is that the card is less likely to fail and last longer if you format rather than delete.  Since posting I have googled extensively and it is the standard advice.  If like many photographers (professional and amateur) you format the card for every shoot there will be times you don't take that vital photograph of contact details.  Sods law dictates if you are capable of forgetting to pick up your camera and take it with you (hence the need for contact details) you will forget to take the shot of the details.

Perhaps you don't take that many shots but on a day when I have taken a couple of hundred shots ( = 400 files 1 jpg & 1 raw for each exposure) I would be there til Christmas manually deleting each file.  Formatting is so much faster, more reliable and better for the card.

Final thought you can of course have your contact details in the EXIF data.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

This seems to me the simplest solution. It’s what I do. 

If you are, or know anyone that uses Twitter, it is worth searching on there. A surprising amount of lost property is highlighted on there, camera model and boat name might be worth trying?

9 hours ago, Oliver200 said:

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advice.

I'm glad to say that my Dad has got his camera back yesterday - a big thank you to Colin from Shardlow, who handed it in to the Wychaven Council offices at Pershore. It's re-affirms my belief that the vast majority of boaters are lovely people!

That's great news and certainly re-affirms my faith in human nature! Yes, by enlarge, boaters are great people.

On 07/07/2018 at 08:29, Aguila said:

But how many cameras support it (my Nikon does) and how many finders would know how to access it ?

I dont have a clue what you are talking about but I only have a bridge camera, I only take about 250 photos in a 2 week trip but deleting them takes less than 30 seconds

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:01, Jerra said:

It isn't a question of having to format the card!  It is that the card is less likely to fail and last longer if you format rather than delete.  Since posting I have googled extensively and it is the standard advice.  If like many photographers (professional and amateur) you format the card for every shoot there will be times you don't take that vital photograph of contact details.  Sods law dictates if you are capable of forgetting to pick up your camera and take it with you (hence the need for contact details) you will forget to take the shot of the details.

Perhaps you don't take that many shots but on a day when I have taken a couple of hundred shots ( = 400 files 1 jpg & 1 raw for each exposure) I would be there til Christmas manually deleting each file.  Formatting is so much faster, more reliable and better for the card.

I doubt if even 1% of people using/losing or finding a camera know what EXIF information is or have the softwarte/knowledge to be able to edit it!

Edited by Tim Lewis

16 minutes ago, Robbo said:

However you can use the web to search for photos that are taken with the same camera..

https://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

I just tried that with one of my photos and it said there were no photos taken with this camera when I have put hundreds online

"Sorry, no results found this time. To receive email alerts the moment we find photos taken with this camera on the internet, go Pro."

26 minutes ago, Robbo said:

However you can use the web to search for photos that are taken with the same camera..

https://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

This is what I got when using stolencamerafinder

"fail

The 'EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA' does not write serial information in the exif. See the supported cameras page for a list of models that do.

If you know the serial number, you can still run a manual search, or a look at the map and submit a report."