Lost ignition key

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

in ten years it’ ll be a phone app

.....but when your phone goes flat, you will have to start the engine to charge it.

All sing " there's a hole in my bucked dear..........."

To prevent it happening in future, get spares for ignition and entry keys and a couple of magnetic key boxes. Put the entry key in one and hide it somewhere externally (perhaps somewhere under the deck boards of a cruiser stern) and the ignition key in the other and hide it somewhere withing the boat.

What was that about stable doors and horses bolting? ?

New ignition keys ordered. 20 squid with postage....eeek! Also changed the door lock. Only £11 for a new barrel from screwfix with 2 keys. Now I won't be getting a cork ball so I can put the damn thing in my pocket so I won't loose them again. The cork ball was Mrs Bob's idea. 

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

New ignition keys ordered. 20 squid with postage....eeek! Also changed the door lock. Only £11 for a new barrel from screwfix with 2 keys. Now I won't be getting a cork ball so I can put the damn thing in my pocket so I won't loose them again. The cork ball was Mrs Bob's idea. 

this of course means they will be lost down the gap between the boat and the towpath after a night in the pub (bonus points if it's lashing it down)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Beware the cork ball thing. Don't rely on the thing floating if you drop the keys in the water. They only have enough buoyancy to float a couple of small keys. Test it in a bucket of water before finding out the hard way...

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Beware the cork ball thing. Don't rely on the thing floating if you drop the keys in the water. They only have enough buoyancy to float a couple of small keys. Test it in a bucket of water before finding out the hard way...

WotEver had two balls...

So what did I do?  I dropped the car/house/work keys into the cut instead!  Half an hour dredging with a large net on a pole eventually found them (plus mussels, odd shoes and other detritus). 

July's smart idea #1

Put the cork on a piece of nylon string about 2' long, keys on the other end. Now when its in the water, the cork holds the string up and its an easy fish to find it under water.

Or buy one of those water sensitive release string capsules.

Let the missus keep them in her handbag then it is her responsibility.

We watched a chap fishing for his keys after he dropped them in the cut as his wife passed them to him from the bank so he could unlock the boat. They had loads of shopping. They failed to find them and ended up having to call a locksmith.

33 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Let the missus keep them in her handbag then it is her responsibility.

We watched a chap fishing for his keys after he dropped them in the cut as his wife passed them to him from the bank so he could unlock the boat. They had loads of shopping. They failed to find them and ended up having to call a locksmith.

Rule 1, never pass keys, or anything similar like phones, from bank to boat.  Get off or on the boat before doing that.

Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Rule 1, never pass keys, or anything similar like phones, from bank to boat.  Get off or on the boat before doing that.

I.e. Show a bit of common... ah, I can see the problem now. ?

Rather than the cork ball, I keep my keys on a lanyard (kindly donated to me by MasterVolt one year) with the other end fastened to my belt. It seems to me that the main risk for dropping keys is when you pull something else out of the same pocket and the keys come with it. The lanyard ends in a snap buckle so it's easy to detach the keys from it to use them, once standing safely in the well deck.