Lost ignition key

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Me, being a muppet, I have only gone and lost our spare set of boat keys. On it is the ignition key for our Beta 43. The ignition key looks fairly simple but i) is it easy to get one cut (or is it the sharp intake of breath saying these cost £521.79p to replace) or ii) do you order them from Beta...ie they are all the same key? Getting lots of stick from Mrs Bob........and rightly too!

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Rich git. We had a motorbike and sidecar.

Very fashionable at one time, 'specially if the sidecar was a Swallow...

As seen on Dad's Army - but you're not that old....

Back on topic - I got a couple of Kubota keys on eBay for a reasonable price -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KUBOTA-OLD-TYPE-B-SERIES-TRACTOR-KEY-FREE-UK-POST/391975717549?epid=2170879603&hash=item5b4392caad:g:O4oAAOSwwo1XfsDS

Three poonds - probably get two for a fiver if you message the seller first. Care there are loadsa different types on fleabay - the one above fits my Beta 'B' panel

If you know anyone who operates machinery, mini diggers, etc, they have probably got a selection.  As some have said above, generic plant keys mostly. 

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Very fashionable at one time, 'specially if the sidecar was a Swallow...

As seen on Dad's Army - but you're not that old....

It was a large enclosed one with a seat down the middle you could straddle" Myself, mum and my younger sister used to ride in the sidecar and my older sister rode pillion. An AJS 500 single was that one.

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It was posh. It has a sunroof. Mind you, if it rained we had to get out and shelter in a shop doorway ;)

54 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Me, being a muppet, I have only gone and lost our spare set of boat keys. On it is the ignition key for our Beta 43. The ignition key looks fairly simple but i) is it easy to get one cut (or is it the sharp intake of breath saying these cost £521.79p to replace) or ii) do you order them from Beta...ie they are all the same key? Getting lots of stick from Mrs Bob........and rightly too!

I disagree with the others. I lost my spare Beta key back in the day and no locksmith could come up with a blank to cut me a copy. I eventually asked on here (this was back in about 1824) and someone said ring Beta. I did this, they asked for my engine number, looked some stuff up and sent me a correct additional key for a pittance.

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Poor me had to sit in the sidecar whilst Mum and Dad rode the tandom!

We was green those days!

Nipper

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

If your key looked like this one, it is a generic "Tractor Key" and can be bought for a couple of quid at any chandlery.

image.png.e3a9c714fc3a5768d7e4bb59e893278c.png

Edited by David Schweizer

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree with the others. I lost my spare Beta key back in the day and no locksmith could come up with a blank to cut me a copy. I eventually asked on here (this was back in about 1824) and someone said ring Beta. I did this, they asked for my engine number, looked some stuff up and sent me a correct additional key for a pittance.

Thanks Mike. 'No locksmith could come up with a blank'  .....is what I thought might happen if I pop into the nearest key cutter place.

32 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Back on topic - I got a couple of Kubota keys on eBay for a reasonable price -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KUBOTA-OLD-TYPE-B-SERIES-TRACTOR-KEY-FREE-UK-POST/391975717549?epid=2170879603&hash=item5b4392caad:g:O4oAAOSwwo1XfsDS

Three poonds - probably get two for a fiver if you message the seller first. Care there are loadsa different types on fleabay - the one above fits my Beta 'B' panel

Thanks Old Goat. My panel is the "murphy deluxe 2C panel" so the book says that is a 200-98965 part number. I guess I need to call Beta (thanks again Mike).

22 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If your key looked like this one, it is a generic "Tractor Key" and can be bought for a couple of quid at any chandlery.

image.png.e3a9c714fc3a5768d7e4bb59e893278c.png

Nah, my Beta BD3 key looked like a proper key, like a Yale lock key but a bit smaller.

I have had three complete sets of keys cut for the boat including the Bukh engine key and (to my surprise) the BW key. The handle of the engine keys are all metal and it looks different but still works. I think I use a place in Abingdon for one set and a Timpsons for the other.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I got an addition key from Beta, just give them the WOK number from the and they will identify the key, although I think there are only two types depending on the age of the engine.  I don’t think it was a pittance though.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I got an addition key from Beta, just give them the WOK number from the and they will identify the key, although I think there are only two types depending on the age of the engine.  I don’t think it was a pittance though.

Yes on reflection mine might have been two pittances. Or three even...

31 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

boat with a key start? Quaint. Ours is push button. Finally we are ahead of the game.

Ah now one of mine used to have a loose and grubby bit of wire hanging by the engine which one touched onto the battery positive terminal, and away she would go. And I thought THAT was posh. 

A button to press indeed. Show orf!