Fernwood boats

r&slambert

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, r&slambert said:

Is there anyone on here or know of anyone  who is having a boat built by fernwood boats at sewstern

Don't know of any current customers, have known several in the past, but from the Ken and Julia days. I guess there's a story behind this?

1 hour ago, r&slambert said:

yes there  is a story we can't get any contract with them we think he has passed away leaving us with no rcd paperwork for our boat

Does your boat date from before or after Ken and Julia sold it to the present owner? Ken is definitely still around, he now works with Jonny Wilson on Finesse boats (and it shows). It must be four years since they sold it, so if it's earlier, you'd need a BSS now anyway. Don't know anything about the new owner. You could try a PM to adam1uk of this parish: https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/706-adam1uk/, he knows the boat building scene very well.

Once the business is sold its upto the new owner to keep records (RCD 10yrs).

Just try and contact the new owner. If indeed he has died, then there should be an executor, if he was self employed. If it was a ltd company, there will have to be some type of order to dissolve the company and records be kept (in this case RCD compliance details), or given to owner/customers that are still within the time period (10yrs).

Its a very grey area.

3 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

Once the business is sold its upto the new owner to keep records (RCD 10yrs).

Just try and contact the new owner. If indeed he has died, then there should be an executor, if he was self employed. If it was a ltd company, there will have to be some type of order to dissolve the company and records be kept (in this case RCD compliance details), or given to owner/customers that are still within the time period (10yrs).

Its a very grey area.

Companies House shows Fernwood Boats Ltd as a private limited company, up to date with its filings, but only one active director, namely Andy Munro. Francesca Munro resigned a year ago. If Andy has died, it will depend on his will, if there is one, as to who owns his shares in the company and so who can appoint new director(s). If he died intestate, the rules for that will divide his estate up between his spouse and his kids, if any.

i agree with Brian. If I had a boat in build, I'd be down there in person to find out what's going on. If it turns into a messy dissolution of the company, you need to get your hands on your part completed boat before the bailiffs do. OP, if yours is a completed boat, then the RCD docs should still exist. If they don't, you'll have to get a BSS done in order to licence the boat with CRT or EA.

1 hour ago, r&slambert said:

We have been lucky ours was the last completed boat out with just a few little niggling fault's were just short of paperwork

Tedious for you, but as you say, count your blessings! In your position I'd just get a BSS done and forget about getting the RCD stuff until the dust settles at the company. Without Andy, there may not be anyone who can sign off the Certificate of Compliance.

Feel very sorry for the staff, it must be a worrying time for them.

ETA Thinking about it, it might be worth giving someone like Mike Carter (http://www.marinesurveysltd.co.uk/) a ring and taking his advice about your situation. You can get a post hoc RCD declaration now if you make major changes to the boat, so that might be a route that you could go down.

Edited by BruceinSanity
Add afterthought

42 minutes ago, r&slambert said:

Have been in contact with British marine who have told me I will have to get a rcd and a bss is no substitute at this time

Deleted my question, as I've just read above you have taken delivery. Although how you took delivery with no paperwork (RCD) is quite surprising. If you have your HIN number, then the builder should have paperwork to match that number.

Edited by 70liveaboard

There were a quite a few changes in regards to boat builds that are regarded as "fit for use" to the RCD requirement and compliance in Jan 2017, making it more difficult to get a RCD from someone other then the registered builder, I've even heard that the British Marine Federation(BMF) has set up official organisations in various parts of the country that are only allowed to RCD a boat if one is not issued by the official builder with costs varying from £2K-£10K, all this was to do with regulating new built boats and making it more difficult to home build/sailaways.

You need to get all the relevant paperwork RCD from Fernwood or it could turn into a nightmare,

Thinking about it, yes, the builder is obliged to issue the RCD paperwork and you could go to the relevant Trading Standards office and complain if he doesn't. But what do you actually need it for? I can think of three reasons, the obvious one being to get the boat insured and licensed. For that, you should talk to the EA or CRT as appropriate. I'm sure a BSS would cover that.

Otherwise, you need the RCD to visit Europe with the boat and when you sell it on. No way round the Europe bit, but we had a thread on here not long ago about buying a boat without an RCD. It's not strictly legal, but most posters felt that, since the buyer would probably be getting their own survey, it wasn't an insuperable obstacle. Either way, it allows time for Fernwood to get sorted out after the sad loss of Andy.

I'm told he seemed fit and well at Crick, so it must have been very sudden.

1 minute ago, r&slambert said:

Andy told us he couldn't complete the paperwork until he'd seen it in the water to check it was ballasted ok

A week later he told us the paperwork was in the post which was obviously no true

Has it got the CE plate fitted. If so it will have the Manufactures Identification Code on which will be something like GB-FER-NB1234-G-18-3 if it has this number will be on all the relevant paperwork, it is important you get the hull declaration of conformity and all paperwork from Fernwood, they should have all the paperwork in the chain to sign off the boat and issue the final RCD. You must contact Fernwood to get this and not just sail off thinking it will be ok it will not. It will be very difficult to get a third party RCD on your boat and could end up costing you thousands.

17 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Thinking about it, yes, the builder is obliged to issue the RCD paperwork and you could go to the relevant Trading Standards office and complain if he doesn't. But what do you actually need it for? I can think of three reasons, the obvious one being to get the boat insured and licensed. For that, you should talk to the EA or CRT as appropriate. I'm sure a BSS would cover that.

Otherwise, you need the RCD to visit Europe with the boat and when you sell it on. No way round the Europe bit, but we had a thread on here not long ago about buying a boat without an RCD. It's not strictly legal, but most posters felt that, since the buyer would probably be getting their own survey, it wasn't an insuperable obstacle. Either way, it allows time for Fernwood to get sorted out after the sad loss of Andy.

I'm told he seemed fit and well at Crick, so it must have been very sudden.

If you want to sell it within the next couple of years you can't and I believe it is illegal to sell by a broker without the RCD/declarations of conformity. There is a big difference with the new RCD regulations and new builds compared to much older boats, so you can't compare the two. The owner needs the RCD from Ferwood it's that simple or it could turn out an expensive nightmare.

Edited by PD1964

With regards to my post about CE plate the long 14 digit number is the WIN (Watercraft Identification Number) which now replaces the CIN/HIN. which is unique to each craft, The Manufactures Identification Code for Fernwood is FWB so GB-FWB-

We have the hull declaration as it was bought as a 2 year old sailaway Andy did the fitout and finish for us we have the stamped numbers which start GB-FWB

But not the paperwork I have called on numerous times his mobile and landline with no answer and written and been to the workshop as it's close to us we even know the guy in the unit next to them who is going to phone If anyone appears

we are not sure what to do next short of breaking in and removing some goods

I know it can't be a good time for the family but a bit of contact wouldn't come a miss