How much will be “cruisable” by August?..

Movin' on

Featured Posts

This year looks like it will prove how inept CRT management is and how badly if at all our licence is being spent - todays announcements - no deep drafters out of Brum via Knowle due to water levels and a failed pump and same day Curdworth closed indefinitely - add that to everything else going on and the Oxford summit being sure to shut next where are we all supposed to enjoy this outdoor gym we pay far too much for?

We have just come back to our mooring before there is no water to do so and the whole system goes into meltdown once the vandals , sorry little darlings are on holiday in 2 weeks time

Apparently your glass, as well as the canal, is half-empty!

We plan to cross the Oxford summit next week. We are quite deep-draughted (22" prop). Any problems, I'll report them.

As you are probably aware, we don't rush about. We are planning on leaving where we are now, South of Banbury but north of the M40 tomorrow, we may well stop somewhere between here and Cropredy to do some planned maintainance. (A bit of paint application.) So, we may well 'bump' into you. Ideally either Croppers or the Folly, if you know where that is! I think you do.

The summit has always suffered from lack of water, sometimes in Winter! We are only 1'10" so should be okay, but we have dragged our bottom at times.

The Leicester Line from Foxton to Kings Lock Aylestone will no doubt be next to go, CRT like to blame the little scoundrels but still haven't found the leak they were looking for when they shut it last September for 6 months.

• Greenie 1

Plenty water in the Trent and Mersey and the Caldon, with water running down the byewashes. Currently on the Coventry below Atherstone. It's

down a few inches here.

Edited by billS
  • Greenie 1

I have the (mis) fortune to moor just north of Broadmoor Lock on the South Oxford. The level in the Broadmoor / Varneys pound is dire 90% of the time. Just on 2 weeks ago (20th June?) it took 60 hours of waiting before I was able to get off my mooring and that was with a tow!. Arrived back on the mooring last Saturday about 1pm to be told the level had come up that morning after it being down all week. By 4 pm the boat was aground and by 10 pm it was listing about 12 degrees. Remained so the following morning when I gave up and came home. Out of curiosity I checked the CRT reservoir site that is seemingly updated mid month. Assuming this to be correct levels in mid June (say 15th) for the South Oxford reservoirs were around 89.7% . Similarly high levels of reserves were reported for most if not all reservoirs.

What the h*** is happening?

As an aside as I went past Neil's Bridge last Thursday a CRT employee was busy painting a dredger that was on the bank.  

Edited by Slim

1 hour ago, Athy said:

We plan to cross the Oxford summit next week. We are quite deep-draughted (22" prop). Any problems, I'll report them.

My glass is actually empty so it’s time to fill it up again - thanks to Tesco’s for providing the reservoir - at least they deliver vfm.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The Leicester Line from Foxton to Kings Lock Aylestone will no doubt be next to go, CRT like to blame the little scoundrels but still haven't found the leak they were looking for when they shut it last September for 6 months.

Planning to go that way over the next 6 weeks en route to the excellent Alvecote Gathering (other gatherings are available) and we are allowing for 2 week delay at that point even though our winter change of boat was focussed quite heavily on reducing our draft by 4-6”

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Please do Athy. I'm on my way down to Cropredy from Lancaster so it would be a beggar if I fell at the final hurdle! So far so good to Middlewich.

Edited to add the June CRT reservoir report; next one due mid-July 

38244-june-2018-reservoir-watch.pdf

Edited by rgreg

Hardly appears to be quite the impending doom and gloom of the OP. Curdworth is a cill failure with the stoppage notice stating repairs will start in the morning but I guess for some CRT aren't able to do anything quickly enough.

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Hardly appears to be quite the impending doom and gloom of the OP. Curdworth is a cill failure with the stoppage notice stating repairs will start in the morning but I guess for some CRT aren't able to do anything quickly enough.

It’s not that they can’t do anything quickly enough it’s that everything is reactive with no proactive management ie lengthsmen with eyes and ears on the ground - apparently (towpath gossip) the landowner around the middlewich has been telling local CRT in writing for the past 5 years that the breach was likely due to wildlife habits and is now going to sue, seeing yet more of our licence money lost (if true)

If this situation was repeated in any truly commercial entity contingency plans would be in place for weather/vandalism/damage etc such that the effect on stakeholders is minimised this never seems to be the case here as there aren’t enough knowledgeable feet on the ground except of course the CEO who thinks 1.5 days a week in the office is enough to do his job (his words) and seems to manage to get his face in every photo opportunity going.

Rant over - I’m not sure these days of “social media” really help us all - last time it was this hot 76 I was boating and life WAS better......or is my memory clouded with old age and wine - thanks again Tesco’s for the wine reservoir which is always at least half full

Edited by Halsey
Senility
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

It’s not that they can’t do anything quickly enough it’s that everything is reactive with no proactive management ie lengthsmen with eyes and ears on the ground - apparently (towpath gossip) the landowner around the middlewich has been telling local CRT in writing for the past 5 years that the breach was likely due to wildlife habits and is now going to sue, seeing yet more of our licence money lost (if true)

If this situation was repeated in any truly commercial entity contingency plans would be in place for weather/vandalism/damage etc such that the effect on stakeholders is minimised this never seems to be the case here as there aren’t enough knowledgeable feet on the ground except of course the CEO who thinks 1.5 days a week in the office is enough to do his job (his words) and seems to manage to get his face in every photo opportunity going.

Rant over - I’m not sure these days of “social media” really help us all - last time it was this hot 76 I was boating and life WAS better......or is my memory clouded with old age and wine - thanks again Tesco’s for the wine reservoir which is always at least half full

They may not have lengthsmen but the canal is covered by Blinkered enforcement officers i believe every fortnight.

6 minutes ago, b0atman said:

They may not have lengthsmen but the canal is covered by Blinkered enforcement officers i believe every fortnight.

It's good that they inspect their length regularly - but will they report water level problems, breaches and so on as well as jotting down the index numbers of non-payers? They certainly should be made to do so.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's good that they inspect their length regularly - but will they report water level problems, breaches and so on as well as jotting down the index numbers of non-payers? They certainly should be made to do so.

As i say Blinkered yet they could be exactly whats needed however how many managers want to be informed of their failings .

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Doubtful. Sadly. On the odd occasion perhaps. 'Not their job' I hear them say. In my opinion, it could/should be.

No idea of pay levels these guys are on, Enforcement Officers I mean, but more than the average I guess. The checker boys are probably on a lower salary but to multi task with additional reward would/could pay dividends in avoiding costly repairs and call outs. 

But as has been suggested would Office bound manager react to such information being transmitted?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, dor said:

At least the good people of Wolverhampton keep the Shroppie topped up!

Thought it was the S&W that benefited was always told the water turned left at the bottom of the 21?

Edited by X Alan W

7 hours ago, b0atman said:

I thought they were now called customer liaison offices with a different set of skills - I don’t see them being much good as lengthsmen and as been said it’s not in their job description and is it doubtless someone else’s responsibility which is just not being delivered 

10 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Thought it was the S&W that benefited was always told the water turned left at the bottom of the 21?

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The Staffs & Worcs actually, but I'll overlook that.

The Shroppie gets plenty too. The outfall is just by the water point along from the hire base.

On 04/07/2018 at 18:14, Halsey said:

This year looks like it will prove how inept CRT management is and how badly if at all our licence is being spent - todays announcements - no deep drafters out of Brum via Knowle due to water levels and a failed pump and same day Curdworth closed indefinitely - add that to everything else going on and the Oxford summit being sure to shut next where are we all supposed to enjoy this outdoor gym we pay far too much for?

We have just come back to our mooring before there is no water to do so and the whole system goes into meltdown once the vandals , sorry little darlings are on holiday in 2 weeks time

Indefinately doesn't necessarily mean a long time.  The cill is fixed one day later and the navigation is open.

• Happy 1

We’re currently on the T&M at Stone travelling north from Tamworth. No real issues with water levels and plenty water running down the bywashes North of Great Haywood. Only problem we’ve had other than the usual for a deepish draught boat was a low pound at Fradley.