Navigation

Rory 2

Featured Posts

Navigating ‘canalworld.net’ is difficult enough, then you learn that there are many obstacles , asking a question without being ridiculed or mocked is a problem for ‘newbies’ I’ve noticed amongst the useful and practical advice. I’m after commissioning a new build, a visit to Northampton wasn’t helped by my navigational aid, an iPhone that couldn’t get a signal in Northampton. A wasted day. Most boatyards that offer narrowboat new builds appear to be far from London. I’m told newbuilds require a certain amount of breaking in. It seems systems are prone to be dysfunctional and returning for repairs is common. Makes me think Thames boat or GUCanal yards would be better for me. Anyone out there commissioned a new build narrowboat from a yard within ‘easy reach’ from London. 

Why don’t I google it. I have, it doesn’t seem to understand ‘narrowboat’ and offers up ‘boat yards’ or boat builders who don’t do narrowboats. Any suggestions welcomed.

Personally I wouldn't buy new. The pitfalls are numourous in my view. I would guess the reason boat builders don't operate 'close' to our capital city is because space is at a premium.

Ask around other boaters for their opinions of boat builders. There are poor (in quality), good ones and perfectly proffessional boat builders.

Try waterscape. Google Canal boat builders. Try steel boat builders. They are there somewhere.

Try this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=narrowboat+builders+uk&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Edited by Nightwatch

The issue you refer to about asking a question here Rory arises because, after a while, folk have difficulty in not rising to yet another "I've decided to buy a Narrowboat because housing is so dear here in London, so I'm looking for a good boat for about the same price as a shed, but I know nothing about them as I have never been on one, and I'll be continuously cruising but I don't want to move the boat because I have a full time job and 3 kids in school - would someone else please fill in the gaps in my complete lack of research for me"  type of posting.  This is actually a very helpful forum, but spoon feeding those who can't be bothered to do enough spadework to even put a sensible question together isn't really it's strength.

Is yours one of those posts?  I'm not sure, but the title doesn't fit the content, there's a bit of a rant (for example no-one here is really equipped to improve your iPhone reception in Northampton) before you ask  "Anyone out there commissioned a new build narrowboat from a yard within ‘easy reach’ from London." just before you also berate Google for not coming up with the goods for you, so it certainly has the style.  Even so, Nightwatch a has tried to help, as indeed have I if you're at all willing to consider what I've said.  :)

A good way of getting the info you need to refine your queries is to buy a couple of the canal magazines, who often do supplements dealing with how to buy a boat.  You can also pick up freebie canal publications from chandlers which are a mine of information and help with the thought process. 

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Greenie 1

To be clear are you talking about build of the shell, (the steelwork), or the fitting out of a shell?

I doubt there are many shell builders in easy reach of London - you might do better with "fitter-outers".

30 minutes ago, Rory 2 said:

Navigating ‘canalworld.net’ is difficult enough, then you learn that there are many obstacles , asking a question without being ridiculed or mocked is a problem for ‘newbies’ I’ve noticed amongst the useful and practical advice. I’m after commissioning a new build, a visit to Northampton wasn’t helped by my navigational aid, an iPhone that couldn’t get a signal in Northampton. A wasted day. Most boatyards that offer narrowboat new builds appear to be far from London. I’m told newbuilds require a certain amount of breaking in. It seems systems are prone to be dysfunctional and returning for repairs is common. Makes me think Thames boat or GUCanal yards would be better for me. Anyone out there commissioned a new build narrowboat from a yard within ‘easy reach’ from London. 

Why don’t I google it. I have, it doesn’t seem to understand ‘narrowboat’ and offers up ‘boat yards’ or boat builders who don’t do narrowboats. Any suggestions welcomed.

Narrowboats are often built in two stages, these being the steel hull and engine and often spray foam insulation - often called a sailaway.  It is then fitted out by

a) the same lot that built the hull

b)  A boat yard

c)  Self DIY build

So you may wish to pick the fabricator if you like the look of a certain boat, then decide who will fit it out.

If you want a reasonable, but not fancy (also known as expensive) some one like Colecraft makes a good hull.

35 minutes ago, Rory 2 said:

As Nightwatch says dont buy new as you have absolutely no idea what you want. Buy used and see how you get on.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

As Nightwatch says dont buy new as you have absolutely no idea what you want. Buy used and see how you get on.

I'd go with that, too. But just to respond to the point about "breaking in" a new boat, all narrowboats are hand built. They start as a heap of steel sheet, a load of planks and boards and are laboriously constructed. Just like a new house, there will be snagging to be done in the first few months, and one of the critical tests of a boatbuilder is how well and promptly they do that.

The only way to find out about that is to ask around, the boat reviews in the comics won't tell you.

Edited by BruceinSanity
Typos

Hi Rory 2, have you got a timescale? The reason I ask is that Crick boat show in May is worth a visit to see the boats of many builders, going away from London will probably be cheaper too. Buying secondhand is good advice, however we did buy new and it's our first boat. Did we get it right, yes we did but that was only after a heck of a lot of research,  talking to boaters and several great weekends at Crick. Our boat was built in Warwickshire and craned on to the Kennet and Avon, we had a few snags, which the boat builder sorted by sending two of his guys down to us and doing the work. 

Thankyou , everyone, for a fast response and lots of avenues to investigate. It seems to me unless you really want to get on and make a lifestyle change it requires a lot of commitment, research and probably taking risks, but my few experiences of staying on a boat , despite poor TV connection and iPhone cold spots ( iTunes is even more disturbing Mad Dog ) I feel it is what I need and worth the effort.  

1400D4B8-0D8D-4F2B-9A97-8E99D42AABF8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Rory 2 said:

Thankyou , everyone, for a fast response and lots of avenues to investigate. It seems to me unless you really want to get on and make a lifestyle change it requires a lot of commitment, research and probably taking risks, but my few experiences of staying on a boat , despite poor TV connection and iPhone cold spots ( iTunes is even more disturbing Mad Dog ) I feel it is what I need and worth the effort.  

1400D4B8-0D8D-4F2B-9A97-8E99D42AABF8.jpeg

We did practicaly zero research, there was no where to do any and bought our first boat to live aboard from a bloke at the side of the canal in Ansty in 1989. Loved it ever since. You are dead too long so just get on and do it. One thing I will say though is take that fotograph in january to see more living on a boat reality :cheers:

• Greenie 1

Look in the comics; reading adverts is all they're any good for.

From 70s to mid 90s plenty of boat yards were churning out production line boats. From then on it has tended to be bespoke boats built to order.

If you haven't experienced, first hand, the myriad of different permutations of fitting out a boat you will regret at least some of your design choices.

Buy second hand first to do your apprenticeship, you will ….

• Decide it's perfect and save yourself a fortune on a newbuild
  • Learn what you need to be aware of and then design a much better new boat for yourself
  • Come to the conclusion that the boat people of yore and their awkward boats were so incapable of capitalising on wi-fi, eye-fones, phoneless-cords or satellite dish-washers that this is not the life for you.

Oh .…. and, by the way, it's not a narrowboat, they're called narrow boats.

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We did practicaly zero research, there was no where to do any and bought our first boat to live aboard from a bloke at the side of the canal in Ansty in 1989. Loved it ever since. You are dead too long so just get on and do it. One thing I will say though is take that fotograph in january to see more living on a boat reality :cheers:

Increases the argument for buying second hand first. We've known several sad cases of folk who have an incredibly hi end boat built, use it for two years or less then sell at a swingeing loss. 

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

it's not a narrowboat, they're called narrow boats

None sense! (Fight, fight!)

:giggles:

• Greenie 2

22 hours ago, Rory 2 said:

I’m after commissioning a new build..... Any suggestions welcomed.

A lot of people like to buy things new. Cars, TVs, laptops etc. Boats are like houses. If you buy new then there will be huge snagging list that takes years to sort....and only if you know what you are doing. We bought a new salingy yacht at vast cost 10 years ago and it took 2 years for it to be really ready to go ocean sailing. We gave that up after many years aboard and bought a 15 year old narrow boat. I like buying new things.....but never again with a boat. Our 15 year old narrow boat is great.

This is not a site for the narrowminded or those easily offended, I have experienced canal life under canvas with a petrol pumped stove for twelve mouths. I didn’t die. I have experienced the high end and found I didn’t even need to use the jacuzzi. I’m confused how those who are obviously more Wi-fi dependent than me judge me to be obsessed with wi fi coverage! Sadly it is a technology that one is forced to buy into or you pay more, you can’t pay bills, can’t park in town, travel to a country that demands a visa, or learn something on an open forum. . I thank everyone for pointing me away from what was perhaps a foolish and ill conceived vision of a magnificent new build, whilst still encouraging me to have a go, now, and learn what suits me by finding out first hand what doesn’t. Hugely helpful.

Without wishing to put the mockers on the treasure of our inland waterways, I have a sinking feeling that as we ‘chat’, developers are busy working out what canalside jetty’s or mooring areas they can grab, exploit for the easy profits their investments in property gave them at the cost of everyone who ever tried to rent or buy a flat in almost any town. 

I hope the peace and tranquility I have experienced canal side, continues to be the norm. But I sense many feel their way of life is being threatened and ‘hostility’ , overt or poorly disguised is a natural human response to the fear of change. I will now go boldly or even boldly go, on my way both better informed and much the wiser. Thanks again. Rory 2.

AF137E27-09AC-4849-9F1D-42AE0EA72CAA.jpeg