Sand for anti slip rectangles on roof

Featured Posts

I bought a 5KG pack of silver sand for this job, after a recommendation on here. It was delivered but unfortunately it came soaking wet. I'm now going to have to dry it out which is a pain, but at least we have the weather. The sand seems really fine, so fine that I'm wondering whether it will do a decent job at being anti slip, when there is a coat of gloss over it. Will this be OK or would I be better with something coarser? I've already spent a week prepping the roof, I'm happy to buy again rather than make do with this stuff, if it isn't ideal. Any thoughts?

Frankly, in my opinion I think sanded roofs are dreadful. Boat builders seemed to start the craze I expect to avoid doing a nice smooth paint job and to cover up any blemishes and rough welds. Its a pain to keep clean too and if ever you want to remove and repaint the roof its hard, hard work. Most folk regret having it. Using just matt paint or even gloss is not slippery if kept washed clean and the correct footware is worn.

Usual stuff as far as I am aware is the sand used for filling the cracks in pavoir drives etc.  It should be kiln dried and free running.  You don't want it too coarse or it is a pain to clean and looks bad.  Use for side decks etc.  I prefer to use the rubber additive added to the paint for the roof as it still gives a bit of extra grip and is easy to clean.

As I understand it the coat over the top of the sand should be thinned slightly. Too thick and it will indeed cover the roughness. 

5 minutes ago, dor said:

Usual stuff as far as I am aware is the sand used for filling the cracks in pavoir drives etc.  

Kiln dried silver sand, yup. 

Took me days to remove the sand on my roof. I wouldnt do it again- though to be fair it did last for 20 years.

I much prefer either using the additives made by International (for example) or the ready mixed paint if you can find the colour you want-I use the sachets slightly thicker than they reccomend-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/International-Non-Slip-Additive-Sachet-20g-Add-to-Toplac-Paint-to-make-non-slip-/282899815356

I got a bag of "play sand" from toys r us, or should I say, as a 60 something bloke, I got someone to get me a bag, from toys r us.  Bone dry and did the job champion, see photo below.

I wouldn't advise use on roof, just did the gunnels.

Method of application was to mark the areas off with masking tape, paint one piece at a time and immediately sprinkle the sand (used an old coffee jar with holes drilled in the lid).  Job finished the day after with a second coat of paint.

Did just what I wanted with no problems.

IMG_0008.JPG

Both of my shareboat and my present boat had sanded roofs.

Very grippy, gives absolute confidence to walk on when wet or icy.

Obviously harder to keep looking clean on a light coloured roof.

To clean I use a strongish solution of Aldi caravan cleaner, scrubbed in with a long handled, stiff bristled brush, then hose off. Doesnt take much effort if done fairly frequently.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

To clean I use a strongish solution of Aldi caravan cleaner, scrubbed in with a long handled, stiff bristled brush, then hose off. Doesnt take much effort if done fairly frequently.

I used MucOff Marine Cleaner which doesn’t hurt the fishies. Again, a reasonably easy job; spray on, agitate with a brush, wash off. 

I'm well on with this now, just need to gloss over a few remaining sanded rectangles tomorrow. I'm pleased with it, it looks great. I've made a mistake though! Despite brushing the loose sand off with a stiff brush the subsequent glossing has resulted in particles of sand being picked up by my brush and going into my (new) 2.5 litre can of gloss. There isn't a lot of sand but I'd prefer it not to be there, when I gloss the remaining areas of the roof. Having said that I'm not into binning a virtually new tin of paint. I was wondering, are these sand particles likely to float, and therefore be towards the top of the tin? If so I could give it a good stir. If the sand sinks though, I could leave the tin undisturbed and use paint from the top, I won't get through the whole tin.

Any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Gareth E said:

I'm well on with this now, just need to gloss over a few remaining sanded rectangles tomorrow. I'm pleased with it, it looks great. I've made a mistake though! Despite brushing the loose sand off with a stiff brush the subsequent glossing has resulted in particles of sand being picked up by my brush and going into my (new) 2.5 litre can of gloss. There isn't a lot of sand but I'd prefer it not to be there, when I gloss the remaining areas of the roof. Having said that I'm not into binning a virtually new tin of paint. I was wondering, are these sand particles likely to float, and therefore be towards the top of the tin? If so I could give it a good stir. If the sand sinks though, I could leave the tin undisturbed and use paint from the top, I won't get through the whole tin.

Any thoughts? 

You could always filter the paint through a lady's stocking.

Just ensure she isn't wearing them at the time! :)

On 04/07/2018 at 14:15, bizzard said:

Frankly, in my opinion I think sanded roofs are dreadful. Boat builders seemed to start the craze I expect to avoid doing a nice smooth paint job and to cover up any blemishes and rough welds. Its a pain to keep clean too and if ever you want to remove and repaint the roof its hard, hard work. Most folk regret having it. Using just matt paint or even gloss is not slippery if kept washed clean and the correct footware is worn.

I agree 100% or roof is grey Epifanes and a walk on it in all weathers (I am one of those silly buggers who doesn't stay tied up if its raining) We have the same paint but in red on the gunwales and never had a problem with it. Our share boat had a cream sanded roof and it always looked half black, when it was repainted they didn't strip it all off first as it was sound but the new paint just waved good by to it  Saw a boat done with a non slip paint and it looked like leather but I bet that will be a bugger to clean

2 hours ago, Gareth E said:

Any thoughts? 

To late now, but that is one of the reasons you shouldn't dip your brush in the tin of paint, decant some into a paint kettle and seal the lid back on.

• Greenie 1

From experience I would say sand on roof or anywhere else is a bad idea.  It reduces water run off and holds dirt.  My boating style/requirements put me in a position where I can ban any roof walking or roof adornment/storage, however this will not suit everyone's needs.  If poss do not sand!

20 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Would it not be better to mix the sand into the paint then apply?

No. 

If you’ve ever used Polytex (very popular in the 70’s) you’d know why.