Mooring in Chester.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ianali said:

Will be in Chester by weekend probably. Was told Chester basin is good mooring for weekends, away from the party people. Any advice on Chester mooring please? 

If you can get in, there is room for around 4 boats under the city walls, lovely and quiet there. Unfortunately, once there are 4 boats, it narrows too much to moor, and you will need to go down the Northgate staircase.

Chester Basin is OK, but felt a little desolate to me.

There are a lot of moorings on your left soon after you leave the last lock just before Chester city centre--near Waitrose. I moored outside "The Lock Keeper" pub three weeks ago on a Friday evening and spent a quiet night there, despite being literally yards from the city centre. Depending on the time of day you arrive, you may prefer to go down the Northgate staircase and find a mooring in the basin below, which I found to be preferable. Try not to moor too close to the "Telfords Wharehouse" pub if you want a quiet evening. No problems there, just lots of people sitting outside the pub chatting and enjoying themselves in the sunshine.

From here it's a 10 minute stroll into the city centre.

33 minutes ago, mayalld said:

If you can get in, there is room for around 4 boats under the city walls, lovely and quiet there. Unfortunately, once there are 4 boats, it narrows too much to moor, and you will need to go down the Northgate staircase.

Chester Basin is OK, but felt a little desolate to me.

Sadly the basin (Tower Wharf) will only hold about 6 boats doe to the isolationism of many boaters.

The exception is, of course, Maundy Thursday when boats are on their way to Ellesmere Port!

=_utf-8_B_SU1HMDI2OTQtMjAxMTA0MjEtMTc1NS5qcGc=_=-710181.jpg

George

Edited by furnessvale

Has Telfords stopped being a music venue? Last time I was there at a weekend the music went on loudly until about 2am and made the basin almost unbearable.  I usually stop now opposite Mecca - remarkably quiet at night ( even though you can hear their bingo callers for a while) and you can use their free wifi!

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Has Telfords stopped being a music venue? Last time I was there at a weekend the music went on loudly until about 2am and made the basin almost unbearable.  I usually stop now opposite Mecca - remarkably quiet at night ( even though you can hear their bingo callers for a while) and you can use their free wifi!

They still have music at weekends.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Some sort of music most nights, but extra loud and late at the weekends. Some weekday stuff was ok but I was a bit disappointed by most of the weekend stuff. They had a superb Pogues type Irish band on Paddies night but sadly I think it was their last ever gig. It feels a lot more studenty since the student housing was built but its still a good place. Several real ales and dogs are allowed in. The Goat'n'Much Micro just down the road (towpath to next bridge and turn right) is rather good.

We moored right outside the student flats and there was quite a bit of late night shouting at weekends but no trouble.

..............Dave

4 hours ago, mayalld said:

If you can get in, there is room for around 4 boats under the city walls, lovely and quiet there. 

My experience also... mid week.  At the weekends, when Chester hands it's central streets over to the visiting drunk and disorderly, it's not so quiet at night.  I believe they've recently painted those very same city walls with a special urine repellant coating so that it's not just their boots that get splashed. Lovely English city with more than their fair share of a somewhat less endearing English problem. 

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My experience also... mid week.  At the weekends, when Chester hands it's central streets over to the visiting drunk and disorderly, it's not so quiet at night.  I believe they've recently painted those very same city walls with a special urine repellant coating so that it's not just their boots that get splashed. Lovely English city with more than their fair share of a somewhat less endearing English problem. 

Chester is something of a stag and hen attraction, thats why I much prefer mooring in the lower basin, as close to Telfords Warehouse as possible, real ale and music venues attract a rather better class of customer.

............Dave

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Chester is something of a stag and hen attraction, thats why I much prefer mooring in the lower basin, as close to Telfords Warehouse as possible, real ale and music venues attract a rather better class of customer.

............Dave

Chester always did have a reputation for a party town, it was bikers in the 70's to 80's, until the pubs started banning leather jackets and similar badged gear.

I got chucked out of a few for such heinous crimes ;)

It then slowly turned into a bit of a yuppie town and as I understand it the students have now moved in.

Race day is always special,  especially if you like pissed scousers

12 minutes ago, nebulae said:

Under the wall is very handy,but the access to the wall above the mooring seems to atract a certain type of transaction involving illegal substances. O.K. during the day.

Never mind under the wall, Chester has a big big druggie problem and transactions take place in broad daylight on benches in the city centre.

.........Dave

Just now, tree monkey said:

Chester always did have a reputation for a party town, it was bikers in the 70's to 80's, until the pubs started banning leather jackets and similar badged gear.

I got chucked out of a few for such heinous crimes ;)

It then slowly turned into a bit of a yuppie town and as I understand it the students have now moved in.

Race day is always special,  especially if you like pissed scousers

Yup, quite entertaining, thuggish blokes in suits who look like they were never made to wear a suit, and pissed up "ladies" in dresses and high heels who are totally unable to walk in heels. Best to go to the racecourse on non race days, we take our lurcher and she does the racing for us! Still one of my favourite cities though.

.............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yup, quite entertaining, thuggish blokes in suits who look like they were never made to wear a suit, and pissed up "ladies" in dresses and high heels who are totally unable to walk in heels. Best to go to the racecourse on non race days, we take our lurcher and she does the racing for us! Still one of my favourite cities though.

.............Dave

And mine, Dad was born and bred so I still have some family ties to the place

Its sad that there is no mooring in the little side basin (North Basin)? just by the services block. I always think it a classic case of what happens if high rise building is put around a basin and too close to the water. There are no boats either because its too overlooked or because the developer said no mooring???. Its all shops/commercial units on the ground floor facing the water, then several floors of apartments (flats). With no boats the water is just unattractive and so everybody dumps their litter in it, and I assume this is why every single shop/commercial unit still remains empty.

..............Dave

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Its sad that there is no mooring in the little side basin (North Basin)? just by the services block. I always think it a classic case of what happens if high rise building is put around a basin and too close to the water. There are no boats either because its too overlooked or because the developer said no mooring???. Its all shops/commercial units on the ground floor facing the water, then several floors of apartments (flats). With no boats the water is just unattractive and so everybody dumps their litter in it, and I assume this is why every single shop/commercial unit still remains empty.

..............Dave

We were in the main basin in February and there was nothing to stop us opening the swing bridge (with a CRT key) and going into the North Basin. Didn't fancy it though and anyway there was plenty of room where we were. I've never seen any boats in there.

There was a partial collapse of the Towpath side of the cutting some time ago, to the Northgate Locks side of the Northgate Bridges.

This was fixed, and the Towpath re-opened....

Then the 'cliff' between King Charles Tower and Northgate Bridge was declared 'unsafe', and the Towpath closed again.

After some time, 'the authorities' decided that only the land between the Towpath itsels and the foot of the 'cliffs' required fencing off....

So, 'corrugated steel' fencing was erected, amd the Towpath re-opened again.....

The steel fencing was replaced by wooden post-and-rail fencing.....

Then the 'cliff' between King Charles Tower and Northgate Bridge was declared 'unsafe, (After some abseiling investiagtions it seems...) again...., and the Towpath closed again.

It was still closed off last Monday 9th July....

The 'diversionary route' from Cow Lane Bridge (Frodsham Street) to Northgate Locks.

Go up the path from the Towpath through the recently cleared 'King Charles Tower Gardens' to the wooden steps (propped up with scaffolding last time I was there!) and onto the City Walls.

Turn right towards the King Charles Tower, and follow the walls walkway to The Nothgate.

The City Walls walkway has been closed for some years now, between The Northgate and Mogan's Mount (For Northgate Locks). The diversionary route for the diversionary route is:-

Go down the steps from the City Walls walkway to Northgate Street.

Carefully cross Northgate Street and pass between the concrete blocks and scaffolding holding up the City Walls and the 'Liverpool Arms' PH. (Watertower Street).

Follow Water Tower Street to just before the Inner Ring Road (St. Martins Way). Here are steps up onto the City Walls. (Morgan's Mount.)

By the steps there is an arch in the City Walls. Pass through the arch, and either follow the 'cobbled' ramp, or turn left and pass the 'gun' artwork, and follow the steps downwards,  to Northgate Locks.

Diversion Ends.

Edited by wrexham lass