The Fat Ones are revolting.

zenataomm

Featured Posts

One came past us when we we moored to the east of Leamington on the GU (east of the Redford Smele bridge). Just enough room to get past the long row of moored boats but displacing a huge amount of water in quite a shallow stretch of canal. The wash was ridiculous despite a relatively slow speed. The banks of the canal are not going to last well there if that happens a lot. Someone will need to pay for that. 

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Any increase in any form of taxation will lead to an outcry from the losers. The economists have a saying "don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that man behind the tree."

I see what your saying there Bruce, but it would have to be a bloody big tree.

hidden-boat-old-fishing-shade-palm-view-golden-sandy-beach-hikkaduwa-sri-lanka-82654896.jpg

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So CRT have announced a licence hike for wide beams.

Yes I have narrow beam, but I have had wide beam.

My observation according to The Waterways Comics and online participants of forums and BookFace is that there is a lot of kerfuffle amongst those owners about paying more because they are too fat enough!

Now as an ex owner of a wide beam river cruiser on The Trent 12 years ago I didn't expect a rebate because I couldn't access the whole of the network.  I considered myself lucky Waterways didn't want more off me because I took up more room.

They're argument that they should be left alone because they're using waterways that were originally designed for oversize boats. 

However the widening of the GU in the 30s seemed to merely make it more commodious for breasted up boats.  The few wide boats that were built failed.  They might have fitted the locks, although there were a few bridge 'oles they got jammed in, however they really had major issues passing each other.

From what I can see if you can afford to foul up a canal with an overwide boat then you can afford to pay for the relevant licence for it. If you restrict it to Rivers you can have the cheaper river only bit of paper for your window.

So far I haven't heard a realistic point of argument from their camp.

So what actually is their problem? 

Whats an " Oversize " boat? Most boats worldwide are over 7 foot beam, 7 Foot  is the weird size not anything greater. My Dad and Great Uncle worked proper size boats out of Goole and Hull down to Nottingham where they off loaded and smaller stuff such as narrowboats amongst others moved the cargo further on. I am always suprised when narrowboat owners talk as though every thing else isnt a " Real " or " Proper " boat when in fact  reality is much the opposite. Todays problems are caused by wider beamed boats being on small canals such as the K and A and the GU. Just sayin like.

• Greenie 4

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats an " Oversize " boat? 

Surely this has to be taken in context - narrow canals or at least canals which are now not suitable for boats over a certain size hence "oversize boats".

Equally take narrowboats in context (as above) and they are the "proper boats".

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats an " Oversize " boat?  …………….. Todays problems are caused by wider beamed boats being on small canals such as the K and A and the GU. Just sayin like.

Thank you, I think you've just paraphrased my post which you quoted.

Just now, Jerra said:

Surely this has to be taken in context - narrow canals or at least canals which are now not suitable for boats over a certain size hence "oversize boats".

Equally take narrowboats in context (as above) and they are the "proper boats".

I think it depends on your view? Many posters on here ( Not Zenataomm) seem incapable of accepting  narrow boats are just one type of boat of many types and they certainly are not the B all and whatever of boating, in fact far from it.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think it depends on your view? Many posters on here ( Not Zenataomm) seem incapable of accepting  narrow boats are just one type of boat of many types and they certainly are not the B all and whatever of boating, in fact far from it.

This is true but we post on "canalworld" which means we are (in general) talking about canals.  I don't see the sense in people harping on about canal boats not being the only sort of boat, of course they aren't but on a canal forum and in context it is surely sensible to accept there place as one of the most (if not the most) suitable boat for canals.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

This is true but we post on "canalworld" which means we are (in general) talking about canals.  I don't see the sense in people harping on about canal boats not being the only sort of boat, of course they aren't but on a canal forum and in context it is surely sensible to accept there place as one of the most (if not the most) suitable boat for canals.

Nicely put :D But surely you would agree that for instance a L and L short boat is a canal boat?

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Nicely put :D But surely you would agree that for instance a L and L short boat is a canal boat?

I would refer my learned friend to my post #7 where I make the point narrow canals or those no longer suitable for boats other than narrow.  Of course there are canal boats wider than narrowboats.  Revolting fatboats  Sorry fatboats that are in the process of revolting are canal boats.  However I am under the impression there are more miles of narrow than wide canal, happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.

• Greenie 3

A compromise is in order here all the wide boats stay up North and pay a standard licence and all the ugly non standard sewer tubes stay down south and pay a standard licence everybody happy especially us lovely big boys

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

I think you're wrong...

widebeam_map.png

The map shows all waterways I was asking about canals specifically.  I wouldn't suggest a narrowboat is the only boat for rivers or drains.  I specifically mentioned canals.  Does anyone have any figures for canals alone.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

The map shows all waterways I was asking about canals specifically.  I wouldn't suggest a narrowboat is the only boat for rivers or drains.  I specifically mentioned canals.  Does anyone have any figures for canals alone.

It shows Navigable waterways, the majority of the Narrow canals are really only in the Midlands, the majority of the rest are wide.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

It shows Navigable waterways, the majority of the Narrow canals are really only in the Midlands, the majority of the rest are wide.

This is why we are lumbered with poxy narrowboats ☹️ The reality is to use most of the system then we must buy narrowbeam, its a real bummer. However when we decide we r needing to  tie up most of the time rather than cruise most of the time it will be another superior fatty for us but DEFFO in the North where they are suited.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is why we are lumbered with poxy narrowboats ☹️ The reality is to use most of the system then we must buy narrowbeam, its a real bummer. However when we decide we r needing to  tie up most of the time rather than cruise most of the time it will be another superior fatty for us but DEFFO in the North where they are suited.

I don't follow your line of argument.  The map clearly shows most navigable waterways are broad so broadbeams can use the majority of the system, so no need to be stuck with a "poxy narrowboat".

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

As I said in the post you quoted it shows all waterways I was specifically referring to canals.  I fail to see why you felt the need to repeat more or less what I said.

24 minutes ago, Robbo said:

So if I follow your thinking all narrowboats should be in Brum and a few other areas and the proper waterways should only have big boats on them ? I like it a lot

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Its simple, narrowboats and craft over 7ft that look like they were built as boats, normal licence. FUGLY wide beams that are just gross narrowboats double the cost.

But how can you call a sewer tube a boat? ?

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As I said in the post you quoted it shows all waterways I was specifically referring to canals.  I fail to see why you felt the need to repeat more or less what I said.

Because the majority of the system is wide even if you just count the canals, only the midlands is the real narrow bit.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I don't follow your line of argument.  The map clearly shows most navigable waterways are broad so broadbeams can use the majority of the system, so no need to be stuck with a "poxy narrowboat".

But you absolutely do have to be stuck with a  narrowboat unless you consider regular hiring of cranes and trucks at megga bucks a  go part of boating? if you use the system. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Because the majority of the system is wide even if you just count the canals, only the midlands is the real narrow bit.

So in your book are Oxford, Llangollen, Manchester, Huddersfield etc all "the Midlands" then?

• Greenie 2