Do you know how much it costs?

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

I'm updating my book The Liveaboard Guide and I'm looking at the chapter citing costs. It was written in 2011 and so needs updating. 

Does anyone here have, and is willing to share, their liveaboard boating expenses. If we use your info I'll make sure you get a copy of the book. 

Hope you're all enjoying the sun and not melting too much. 

Thanks

Tony

We've kept detailed accounts for the last 6 or 7 years and its consistently about £6000 per year (between £5000 and £7000). This is CC'ing and includes all boat related costs including coal, but not phone or internet. There will be some short term mooring costs for a week or two. I do almost all the maintenance myself, but do pay for blacking (epoxy) and big stuff like gearbox overhauls etc that would need a workshop. Its a 70 footer that we keep tidy but certainly not shiny. I anticipate at least two or three significant maintenance/repair bills every year so they sort of even out. There are usually a few internal improvements/changes made each year.

Paint and paint related items are always a surprisingly high expense, and thats just for minor repairs rather than repainting.

Obviously clothing, food, beer and the dog etc are not included.

I don't want to make my figures public but could give more details by PM if you are interested.

.............Dave

Dave, that would be awesome. 
Would you please PM me? If you have seperate costs for diesel, heating, coal, mooring ete etc that would be most useful indeed. 
(Can I please cut and paste your comment here alongside?)

Thanks

Tony

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

We've kept detailed accounts for the last 6 or 7 years and its consistently about £6000 per year (between £5000 and £7000). This is CC'ing and includes all boat related costs including coal, but not phone or internet. There will be some short term mooring costs for a week or two. I do almost all the maintenance myself, but do pay for blacking (epoxy) and big stuff like gearbox overhauls etc that would need a workshop. Its a 70 footer that we keep tidy but certainly not shiny. I anticipate at least two or three significant maintenance/repair bills every year so they sort of even out. There are usually a few internal improvements/changes made each year.

Paint and paint related items are always a surprisingly high expense, and thats just for minor repairs rather than repainting.

Obviously clothing, food, beer and the dog etc are not included.

I don't want to make my figures public but could give more details by PM if you are interested.

.............Dave

Dave - how many people live aboard your boat?

Thanks
Tony

i have a 2 bed 2 year old rental within 25 miles of my mooring.

my mooring fee, licence 55 ft and insurance swallow 50% of the income I receive before tax.

i continuously cruise 6 months of the year the rest of the year I am abroad. ( working to pay for the boat....)

i think the biggest cost associated with boats is the missed opportunity cost, what the money earned would achieve if put into a house. The crt professional money extractors were after me at foxton last week.

i did a quick calculation. 35 years of boat ownership (17 years of 2) and 14 years of bwb moorings at one point we were giving them £2500 a year.  I got to about £40000 into their coffers before I gave up. 

Next time the crt wanted me to be their friend for money I gave them both barrels.

3 minutes ago, tonyreptiles said:

Dave - how many people live aboard your boat?

Thanks
Tony

It might take a day or so to do a breakdown of the figures. There are two of us on the boat, plus a dog that costs a fortune in food and insurance.

We normally do over 1000 miles every year so we get through a fair amount of diesel, and we both do some working from the boat which possibly adds a little to the costs.

We have a two week holiday in Cornwall every year, otherwise its full time on the boat.

..............Dave

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

It might take a day or so to do a breakdown of the figures. There are two of us on the boat, plus a dog that costs a fortune in food and insurance.

We normally do over 1000 miles every year so we get through a fair amount of diesel, and we both do some working from the boat which possibly adds a little to the costs.

We have a two week holiday in Cornwall every year, otherwise its full time on the boat.

..............Dave

That's really useful Dave. Many thanks indeed. 
I start writing later this week so I'll be in touch.
Cheers

Tony

Two persons here on a 32' vessel. SWMBO* is very good at keeping track of the money I spend, I can PM you detailed breakdowns but we roughly work out at £2300 PA for Marina moorings, EA Anglian licence and insurance. We budget another £2,000 for maintenance and the odd surprise (last years "gift" from the old girl was casting her propeller off. It's just outside the junction of the Welford arm if anybody fancies some scrap brass...).  She sips fuel at roughly a litre an hour, although I won't do a breakdown of our cruising as everybodies situation is different.

We can PM screenshots of an annotated spreadsheet if that is a suitable format for you to work from?

Regards,

Robert

(*She Who Must Be Obeyed)

On 03/07/2018 at 21:23, Robert B. said:

Two persons here on a 32' vessel. SWMBO* is very good at keeping track of the money I spend, I can PM you detailed breakdowns but we roughly work out at £2300 PA for Marina moorings, EA Anglian licence and insurance. We budget another £2,000 for maintenance and the odd surprise (last years "gift" from the old girl was casting her propeller off. It's just outside the junction of the Welford arm if anybody fancies some scrap brass...).  She sips fuel at roughly a litre an hour, although I won't do a breakdown of our cruising as everybodies situation is different.

We can PM screenshots of an annotated spreadsheet if that is a suitable format for you to work from?

Regards,

Robert

(*She Who Must Be Obeyed)

Hi Robert. 

A breakdown would be really useful. Can you send me what you can? PM would be great. 

Thanks

Tony