Transporting a Sea Otter?

Rob VP

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm looking for a transport company, preferably near to the Midlands, that could help me with my 31ft Sea Otter. I need the boat pulled out on a slipway and moved to its new home.  I can find companies that will crane it out and move it on a truck,  but this seems to be quite expensive and unnecessary for a light boat like mine.  Does anyone know of a company that could use a trailer to pull it out on the slipway?

42 minutes ago, Rob VP said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a transport company, preferably near to the Midlands, that could help me with my 31ft Sea Otter. I need the boat pulled out on a slipway and moved to its new home.  I can find companies that will crane it out and move it on a truck,  but this seems to be quite expensive and unnecessary for a light boat like mine.  Does anyone know of a company that could use a trailer to pull it out on the slipway?

I know that some Sea Otter Owners move their boats on third party trailers. I think asking your question on the sea Otter Owners site will be helpful for you 

Haggis 

17 minutes ago, haggis said:

I know that some Sea Otter Owners move their boats on third party trailers. I think asking your question on the sea Otter Owners site will be helpful for you 

Haggis 

it doesn't always work out well though... see here 

That's what happens when you go with the cheapest quote and use someone who is not used to trailing sea otters which are a lot heavier than the GRP s which is their usual business. The boat wasn't even strapped down on the trailer. 

That's why I suggest asking sea Otter Owners as they will know who can do the job safely 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis

The 31' will fit on a fairly standard boat trailer. The problem is the weight : Ray (Mr. Sea Otter) used to claim that the 31' could be got to under 31/2 tons on the trailer, but I have my doubts. (and that was for a show boat, no water, fuel, gas cylinders or personal property.)

The second time he showed one, the trailer had air brakes and a ring hitch ....

Edited by Iain_S