Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MJG

Bluddy cars...$%&^€£%$%/=

Featured Posts

Well the first major breakdown in a car for many years happened today.

Nipping to the shop for tea bags in the Antara it suddenly developed a scraping sound from underneath followed by a jerky forward drive and a sound akin to a cat being tortured with a hot poker.

Pulls in quickly to check and see the pretty bad sight of gear oil weeping down the sides of the transfer box. It looks like it's pretty well completely destroyed the transfer box and at only 3.5 years old and just 49,000 miles!!! (And out of warranty of course)

Unbluddybelievable.........current estimate of cost is a cool £4.5k!!!!!!! Apparently Vauxhall 'may' be willing to make a 'contribution' as I have a full documented service history.

If it was drivable I'd just take the thing to the local cliff and push it off.

Positive thing was Caravan Club/mayday/green flag were spot on.

• Horror 2

21 minutes ago, MJG said:

Well the first major breakdown in a car for many years happened today.

Nipping to the shop for tea bags in the Antara it suddenly developed a scraping sound from underneath followed by a jerky forward drive and a sound akin to a cat being tortured with a hot poker.

Pulls in quickly to check and see the pretty bad sight of gear oil weeping down the sides of the transfer box. It looks like it's pretty well completely destroyed the transfer box and at only 3.5 years old and just 49,000 miles!!! (And out of warranty of course)

Unbluddybelievable.........current estimate of cost is a cool £4.5k!!!!!!! Apparently Vauxhall 'may' be willing to make a 'contribution' as I have a full documented service history.

If it was drivable I'd just take the thing to the local cliff and push it off.

Positive thing was Caravan Club/mayday/green flag were spot on.

Thats a proper bugger Martin, See what Vauxhall offer as a contribution, if its not enough maybe a secondhand one is the way forward. If its not a common fault the parts can be very cheap, in the past I have been surprised expected a fortune and was quoted a couple of hundred quid!! customer was surprised as well

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Thats a proper bugger Martin, See what Vauxhall offer as a contribution, if its not enough maybe a secondhand one is the way forward. If its not a common fault the parts can be very cheap, in the past I have been surprised expected a fortune and was quoted a couple of hundred quid!! customer was surprised as well

It looks like it's not uncommon. Googling shows a number of Antara owners have had it at similarly low mileage. The parts to rebuild are hard to impossible to get and on top of that it looks the disintegrating internals have punched a hole in the casing.

The thing is I could buy a decent car for the price of the repair. We have by total coincidence just changed our caravan to something lighter meaning it's opened up the tow car options considerably meaning we don't need a bloody very heavy 4x4 now.

Pushing it off Huntcliffe at Saltburn is looking like an increasingly appealing option.

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, MJG said:

It looks like it's not uncommon. Googling shows a number of Antara owners have had it at similarly low mileage. The parts to rebuild are hard to impossible to get and on top of that it looks the disintegrating internals have punched a hole in the casing.

The thing is I could buy a decent car for the price of the repair. We have by total coincidence just changed our caravan to something lighter meaning it's opened up the tow car options considerably meaning we don't need a bloody very heavy 4x4 now.

Pushing it off Huntcliffe at Saltburn is looking like an increasingly appealing option.

Know the feeling Martin I have had a couple of my own cars do similar stuff, it helps to be in the trade sometimes but its still bloody annoying!!! All I can say is find a part or something like that for a complete unit.

Alternatively as its not uncommon I think you need to apply pressure to Vauxhall for them to fully fund it as its clearly down to them

Edited by peterboat

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Know the feeling Martin I have had a couple of my own cars do similar stuff, it helps to be in the trade sometimes but its still bloody annoying!!! All I can say is find a part or something like that for a complete unit.

Alternatively as its not uncommon I think you need to apply pressure to Vauxhall for them to fully fund it as its clearly down to them

I am going to play hard ball (but polite) with them. I mentioned a droning noise in 5th and 6th at 2k revs to them when it was last serviced by Sherwoods at Stockton. It was under warranty then but they dismissed it as tyre noise. I insisted they document it and I got a copy on my service/vehicle condition report which I kept in case anything happened. If that was an indicator of something going wrong but something which they fobbed me off about time will tell.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

I am going to play hard ball (but polite) with them. I mentioned a droning noise in 5th and 6th at 2k revs to them when it was last serviced by Sherwoods at Stockton. It was under warranty then but they dismissed it as tyre noise. I insisted they document it and I got a copy on my service/vehicle condition report which I kept in case anything happened. If that was an indicator of something going wrong but something which they fobbed me off about time will tell.

I have googled it and yes they do have an issue fingers crossed for you, looking at it reasonably you have a viable claim, they should made the product up to the job, and clearly its not! I really hope you get the right result on this one ?

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

It seems that this guy might be able to help if the dealer doesnt

Seriously email Rory Harvey direct, he was superb!! [email protected]
Hope it doesnt come to that

If it was me.... I would try various breaker sites on the net and see what turned up (plus local breakers) might get a decent casing anyway and might well find the droning noise was 'only' a relatively simple bearing and the rest of the gubbins undamaged or fixable without breaking the bank. However, I feel your pain if its any help. B%^&&* cars.

An experience from the past that may be of relevance.

We operated  a fleet of Citroen vans, very good vehicles, reliable and economic.

We had a gearbox failure, around 100,000 miles. One of the small planet wheels in the differential burst, got smacked through the casting into the clutch housing. That should of written off the gearbox but as we did all our own repairs the gear got replaced and the casting welded up. Satisfactory repair.

The two pieces of gear sat on the garage windowsill for months, an unusual failure, the broken edges were mostly black. An engineer friend picked them up one day and asked what had happened. He remarked that the break looked like a rolling fault in the steel production. Hey ho, that's life, the odd faulty part is inevitable.

Some months later another van did exactly the same. Same fault, same odd looking fracture.

Over the next 2 years we had 2 more let go, all at reasonably low mileages, we used to put 400,000 + miles on these vans in their short lives. All the broken gears had the same distinctive fractures.

As the fix was never too expensive for us, welding up the casings was straightforward and the gears were not an expensive part, we never complained.

But it does show what can be a repetitive manufacturing fault, I would browbeat Vauxhall.

• Greenie 3

I dislike Vauxhall cars immensely, on my last trip to UK i arrived at the car hire in Luton airport to be told the good news that i was being given a free upgrade from the small car i booked to a Vauxhall Moka, how crap was the first car then if this is an upgrade i asked, Fiat 500 says the guy, i will keep the Fiat thanks says i. The road noise on any Vauxhall i have ever driven is beyond belief. Manufacturer should pay all/some of this repair bill.

• Greenie 2

I couldnt believe what I was reading on the website, they were all saying the same thing about the transfer box, some were failing at 20k and all started with a droning noise like Martin described, apparently at that point its not a bad fix but still expensive! They knew exactly what they were doing when they told Martin it was nothing, in lots of ways it is fraud as they hope that the transferbox last until its out of warranty, rather than do the right thing and fix it. I hope that Martin wins this one as the evidence on the sites is clear the transfer box isnt fit for purpose! 

3 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

I dislike Vauxhall cars immensely, on my last trip to UK i arrived at the car hire in Luton airport to be told the good news that i was being given a free upgrade from the small car i booked to a Vauxhall Moka, how crap was the first car then if this is an upgrade i asked, Fiat 500 says the guy, i will keep the Fiat thanks says i. The road noise on any Vauxhall i have ever driven is beyond belief. Manufacturer should pay all/some of this repair bill.

had the usual (mid - late 90s) corsa and astra, the corsa was terrible for noise but surprisingly well powered, the astra was a fun drive and I cant remember any nasty noise.

then I moved onto the omega... that thing was dangerously quiet, it was all too easy to think you're sat at 70 on a quiet motorway and then look down to realise it's actually 120+

then my work changed and I needed vehicles with big towing capacity and ground clearance.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

had the usual (mid - late 90s) corsa and astra, the corsa was terrible for noise but surprisingly well powered, the astra was a fun drive and I cant remember any nasty noise.

then I moved onto the omega... that thing was dangerously quiet, it was all too easy to think you're sat at 70 on a quiet motorway and then look down to realise it's actually 120+

then my work changed and I needed vehicles with big towing capacity and ground clearance.

The older ones were better, i would not say no to a Lotus Carlton or one of the 3.0 litre coupes, the name escapes me.

8 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

The older ones were better, i would not say no to a Lotus Carlton or one of the 3.0 litre coupes, the name escapes me.

Senator / Calibra / Cavalier / Belmont

Just now, Jess-- said:

Senator / Calibra / Cavalier / Belmont

Senator, thats it, quite liked those back in the day.

Yes, push them hard for a no cost option from you!

I like my very reliable petrol Volvo 1989 240 auto estate, on 234,000 and my petrol 1996 940 SE LPT auto estate. On 195,000.

Hope you get it sorted cheaply. My 3 cars. left 240, owned 10 years, cost £350 then. right 940, owned 18 months, £250. Lexus IS 220d £1,475

James:)

Fleet.jpg

Edited by canals are us?

49 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Opel Monza I had one fantastic vehicle very similar to my Ford Granada mk 1 coupe mine was a 2.8 LHD one superb

• Happy 1

Here's my current stable, both landcruiser amazons (4.7 V8 on petrol / lpg)

the blue one (left) is the general workhorse and is generally in worse condition (it looks good in the photo but not so good in the flesh), does around 25,000 miles a year
the black one (right) is damn near showroom condition and gets used when everything needs to look good but still work hard, does around 3,000 miles a year

Oddly the better vehicle of the two (the black one) is the oldest (S & R reg respectively)

2lc.JPG

30 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

Yes, push them hard for a no cost option from you!

I like my very reliable petrol Volvo 1989 240 auto estate, on 234,000 and my petrol 1996 940 SE LPT auto estate. On 195,000.

Hope you get it sorted cheaply. My 3 cars. left 240, owned 10 years, cost £350 then. right 940, owned 18 months, £250. Lexus IS 220d £1,475

Fleet.jpg

Yep, petrol every time innitt. I splashed out £550 on my latest car a couple of months ago, everything including the ice cold air con works perfectly and nice and comfy. Nipping up from  Reading to North Yorkshire and the Lakes at the weekend then back to Reading. It may go bang but I doubt it and I would get £ 200 as a non runner.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

Lotus Carlton was a formidable car., but good ones I suspect are now very rare.

How about a VXR8 GTS-R?

Edited by Edders

I like Toyota and Lexus for a new car.

The Lexus IS 220d isn't well regarded engine wise as head gasket failure and EGR and DPF issues. Mines on 176k Ie not inherently different to any modern diesel really but not as good as the IS250 petrol with the V6 2.5 engine. Quite fancy a Lexus Hybrid or an LS430.

Edited by canals are us?

21 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

I like Toyota and Lexus for a new car.

The Lexus IS 220d isn't well regarded engine wise as head gasket failure and EGR and DPF issues. Mines on 176k Ie not inherently different to any modern diesel really but not as good as the IS250 petrol with the V6 2.5 engine. Quite fancy a Lexus Hybrid or an LS430.

I too like toyota/lexus but what they are making now for this country just isn't up to the job when compared with the older landcruiser, the closest thing they do now is the toyota sequoia which is an american continent only vehicle despite it virtually being a clone of the landcruiser amazon (100 series).

for the work I have to do on a regular basis vehicles can have short lives before they suffer terminal damage to the suspension or chassis...
Landrover Defender - 3 years (bent chassis by 3 inches)

Landrover Discovery - 18 months (punched rear suspension through body)

Rangerover (classic) - 3 years (twisted chassis) but needed new rear springs every 6 months
Jeep Cherokee - 1 year (burst into flames in the middle of a ploughed field)
Nissan Patrol - 3 years+ (nobody broke one but try finding one with decent bodywork)

Landcruiser amazon - 4 years+ (only one broken so far by being wrapped around a motorway bridge at 50Mph - everyone walked away unhurt and the vehicle still drove despite there not being a straight part left)

I ran 32 Land Cruisers in Kosovo, 4.5 V8 Diesels, all armored 5 tons each, awesome motors, we also had about 800 Nissan Patrol/Pathfinders on the fleet, total crap.

• Greenie 1

Sign in to follow this