An anti-slip paint with decent colours?

Featured Posts

I'm thinking that it's time to repaint the gunnels of my GRP which currently has a mid-blue anti-slip paint on.

Can anyone recommend a good paint that is easy to use, easy to clean when dirty, and has a decent line in colours?

I've seen a few brands mentioned in old posts, but most only do five, or six, basic colours (black, white, blue, red, yellow, etc.) that are pretty naff. I'd like a nice mid-blue.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Can't you add some sand or plastic beads to "insert colour here"? 

Probably, but add them to what paint? And would it be easy to keep clean?

I also don't want it to start flaking off after a short time.

Edited by ronnietucker

6 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Probably, but add them to what paint? And would it be easy to keep clean?

I also don't want it to start flaking off after a short time.

Crown, dulux, International, other expensive boat paint. 

The adhesion will be determined by the quality of prep. 

ETA. Non slip will always be more difficult to clean than smooth gloss imo. 

You can also get antislip tape. 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Have a look at Symphony Paints (http://www.symphonynarrowboatpaint.co.uk/index.html), all their top coats are available in anti-slip.

Yep, emailed them to ask if their paints are glossy or rubbery. Didn't get a reply. Their site suggests enamel. Which sounds glossy to me.

I'd kinda prefer a rubbery one, but I know they're a bit of a bitch to use sometimes.

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Yep, emailed them to ask if their paints are glossy or rubbery. Didn't get a reply. Their site suggests enamel. Which sounds glossy to me.

I'd kinda prefer a rubbery one, but I know they're a bit of a bitch to use sometimes.

We have their paints, the gloss finishes are shiny which includes where we have anti slip on the roof but on the gunnels we have raddle anti slip which is a matt finish.  We only have raddle black and raddle red in anti slip.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, that's what I thought. When I had a 26ft cruiser I don't think I ever had to walk along the gunwales!

What with me being 'vertically challenged' I have to walk across the gunnels, holding on to the handrail, just trying to reach the middle of the roof when giving her a clean.  :D

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I must admit I'm rather intrigued as to what part of a GRP cruiser you would need to walk on, to the extent that anti-slip paint was necessary?

I have used anti slip tape on the top  steps up to the side decks - which when wet can be a little slippery despite a moulded in anti slip pattern.

20160910.jpg

22 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Can't you add some sand or plastic beads to "insert colour here"? 

If I go the above route (and I may have to if I want to get a decent colour) what would be a good type of paint to use on fibreglass?

Some exterior paints expressly say that they're for wood/metal. Are they still OK on GRP?

I've looked at so many types of paint, and so many manufacturers that I've completely confused myself! I hate when this (over thinking it) happens.  :huh:

Edited by ronnietucker

11 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

If I go the above route (and I may have to if I want to get a decent colour) what would be a good type of paint to use on fibreglass?

Some exterior paints expressly say that they're for wood/metal. Are they still OK on GRP?

I'm no expert, but always associate international (toplac) with grp. I think they sell a non slip additive too (if you don't like the idea of adding sand) , but don't know if they have the colour you require. 

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/topcoat-finishes

Screenshot_20180703-195414.png

Edited by rusty69

22 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I'm no expert, but always associate international (toplac) with grp. I think they sell a non slip additive too (if you don't like the idea of adding sand) , but don't know if they have the colour you require. 

https://international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/boat-paint-products/topcoat-finishes

Yes, I was looking at Toplac and the additive. To order enough paint would be about £100. Oof! Think I might hold back at the moment.

I'm thinking it might even be better to go with white for most of the boat, Bondi blue for the gunnels (as that's closest to what colour is currently there) and maybe use some small strips of anti-slip tape on parts of the gunnels where I/someone might stand.

Doesn't cut my costs any though. Unless I use some paint from B&Q  :D

2 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Yes, I was looking at Toplac and the additive. To order enough paint would be about £100. Oof! Think I might hold back at the moment.

I'm thinking it might even be better to go with white for most of the boat, Bondi blue for the gunnels (as that's closest to what colour is currently there) and maybe use some small strips of anti-slip tape on parts of the gunnels where I/someone might stand.

Doesn't cut my costs any though. Unless I use some paint from B&Q  :D

Well, if you want cheap, how about Sandex textured masonry paint:)

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, if you want cheap, how about Sandex textured masonry paint:)

Evidently, you can read minds too.

I was just looking at Sandex, but wasn't sure if it was a sand texture, or just part of the name. I'm assuming no sand as it does say 'smooth' on the tin.  :D

Was also looking at Dulux Watershield:

https://www.diy.com/departments/dulux-weathershield-frosted-lake-blue-smooth-matt-masonry-paint-5l/261740_BQ.prd

Quite like the idea of that colour with white. Which someone has helpfully included a review photo of their house in that colour with white window frames.  :D

Is any masonry paint usable with GRP, or just the Sandex stuff?

Edited by ronnietucker

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

Evidently, you can read minds too.

I was just looking at Sandex, but wasn't sure if it was a sand texture, or just part of the name. I'm assuming no sand as it does say 'smooth' on the tin.  :D

Was also looking at Dulux Watershield:

https://www.diy.com/departments/dulux-weathershield-frosted-lake-blue-smooth-matt-masonry-paint-5l/261740_BQ.prd

Quite like the idea of that colour with white. Which someone has helpfully included a review photo of their house in that colour with white window frames.  :D

Is any masonry paint usable with GRP, or just the Sandex stuff?

https://www.pbo.co.uk/event/beaulieu-boatjumble/deck-paints-test-17514