TV aerials again!

Grassman

Featured Posts

I've tried various TV aerials on my boat over the years. All have been recommended by other boaters but haven't turned out to be as good as I'd anticipated, and too many times we've moored up and my wife has been without her precious tv and I've had to talk to her all evening. 

Perhaps my expectations are too high and I do realise that there are places where I'm never going to get a signal. Could the reason I have more difficulty be because we run ours through a PVR recorder rather than directly from the TV's Freeview?

This is the latest one I've had recommended and I was wondering if any of you have had experience with one and what your opinions are.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321875830076?ul_noapp=true

3 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I've tried various TV aerials on my boat over the years. All have been recommended by other boaters but haven't turned out to be as good as I'd anticipated, and too many times we've moored up and my wife has been without her precious tv and I've had to talk to her all evening. 

Perhaps my expectations are too high and I do realise that there are places where I'm never going to get a signal. Could the reason I have more difficulty be because we run ours through a PVR recorder rather than directly from the TV's Freeview?

This is the latest one I've had recommended and I was wondering if any of you have had experience with one and what your opinions are.

In all honesty we have a short log thingy and paid a tenner for it. Only twice this year have we had no signal. If we have no signal we plug in the mini tv aerial from fleabay at £6.49 including delivery its about four inches high and always picks up at least the beeb and itv stuff and usualy loads more. Bro in law is traveling with us and has a fancy boat omni thingy at about 80 squids and he gets worse signal mostly than we do.

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

Another toy. Get a log periodic as others have said. See the link in post 2

Log periodic is the right answer for the aerial, but also look at the coaxial run between your set and aerial. The cheapest reasonable stuff is RG6 and it works quite well, but is nothing like as good as PF100 or WF100 which is better screened so preserves weaker signals better. Likewise, the more joints you have, the more signal loss you'll suffer. If your connectors are F-type that helps too and using a bit of vaseline or silicone grease when you make up the joints will keep moisture out and prevent signal-sapping corrosion.  If you've got a flaky coaxial run you'll sometimes be fine if the signal is particularly strong, but sometimes you'll struggle and other times you'll get nothing.  So, it's a combination - and even then there'll be "those times". ;)

As with many things in life, there's no absolute answer. "It all depends" There are too many variables to give a fixed and positive answer.

I our 30+ years of cruising from Godalming in the south to Leeds in the north we have discovered that:-

-      Omni directional antennae don't work well (or at all)

-      Domestic large units with 'wings' are a pain  

+     an aerial amplifier is an advantage if your TV is a long way from the aerial

+     WF100 cable is much, much better than TV coax, use F-plugs and adaptors, NOT coax type

+      Log periodic antennae work best

-       In some places you just won't get a signal at all

+      A good (not necessarily expensive) signal meter is essential, especially if it's tossing with rain when you stop 

-       Nothing works if there are trees nearby between you and the transmitter

FWIW I have a flat satellite dish as well because you can always get a signal if you have a clear view (no trees, buildings etc) of the satellite. I use a compass (on a GPS receiver) to check before we stop...

Aerial - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-DIGITAL-TV-AERIAL-WIDEBAND-FREEVIEW-HD-IDEAL-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-BOAT-CAMPING/162892615966?hash=item25ed28111e:g:ICsAAOSwrslafCQ

Signal meter - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-Dish-and-TV-Aerial-Pro-Signal-Meter-Finder-Fringe-Electronics-2-in-1/390265757649?epid=2255629319&hash=item5adda6dfd1:g:TFoAAOSwvR5aCZR8  often cheaper from Amazon

Edited by OldGoat

The mini log aerial, whilst ok, requires quite a strong  signal, so may not be suitable everywhere. 

We have a mini log and also a larger one. The larger one gets a signal most places we have been so far. 

Edited by rusty69

There are black holes where nothing will work. A log periodic is obviously best but even they can fail in bad signal areas i.e. In Warwickshire on the border  line between the Sutton Coalfield and Lark Stoke antennas ....especially parts of Warwick and Stratford.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Amplified-Outdoor-Digital-White/dp/B00BF4OUXI/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1530777400&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=one+for+all+aerial

We have been using this one for some years now, and very rarely need to adjust it. Gives us a full set of freeview channels and all other digital ones. I've yet to find a blackspot and based in Warwickshire in an area where many complain about coverage. Not cheap but worth it, and can be installed in a cratch or similar without loss of reception. 

2 hours ago, BWM said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Amplified-Outdoor-Digital-White/dp/B00BF4OUXI/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1530777400&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=one+for+all+aerial

We have been using this one for some years now, and very rarely need to adjust it. Gives us a full set of freeview channels and all other digital ones. I've yet to find a blackspot and based in Warwickshire in an area where many complain about coverage. Not cheap but worth it, and can be installed in a cratch or similar without loss of reception. 

I can't believe it works down all the VMs by the Cape in Warwick?

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I can't believe it works down all the VMs by the Cape in Warwick?

I haven't tried them all but my daughter was watching tv as we passed through earlier this year without interruption. The only reduction in channels we experienced was at Stoke bruerne but it only affected some. I've recommended it to three of my friends and they were astonished at the difference to their previous set ups. 

On 02/07/2018 at 20:47, Grassman said:

See my separate post on digidomes so far very impressed

Long log absolutely, but most important get high up off the boat and it will work. We have a Harris extending brush pole fitted to the cratch board.

in ok reception areas ours works just lying on the roof.

Tried the plastic units and found them to be useless unless in a good reception area.