River Colne Navigation?

WJM

Featured Posts

Barges were used on the Wolverton gravel pits. The pits were not connected to the Grand Union,although not far away. I suppose the old Newport Pagnel arm would have been the closest,but probably long closed before the gravel was worked. I remember one of the tugs pulled out of the water in early 70,s Apparently,the gravel company had the idea to have it as a feature at the entrance to the pits. No idea what happened to the tugs and barges.

On 17/03/2019 at 23:51, WJM said:

Yes, I found it today. The Coln really was navigable. Though the air draft was tight. 

5BB527B5-623E-4B82-BDFE-047011FD5848.jpeg

6699A370-6609-46CB-82C7-9F651B79B1BB.jpeg

This stretch was navigable and was in regular use by William Boyer taking gravel from Farlows lake and very likely two or more pits long filled in that constitute the adjacent farmland. Until the nineties there was a piled access cutting into Farlows about 200 yards upstream of the aqueduct pictured, now filled in. The traffic went down to the group of lakes at the end of Trout road and eventually to Boyers processing yard.