JOHN WHITE BOAT BUILDER,IS HE ANY GOOD

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Really? She is still listed as a member.

The fact that Betty is still listed as a member bears testimony to her death as she is hardly in a position to change her status. For the record her other half, Dave, is not in too good a way healthwise let alone coping with the loss of Betty.

Phil 

1 minute ago, Phil Ambrose said:

The fact that Betty is still listed as a member bears testimony to her death as she is hardly in a position to change her status. For the record her other half, Dave, is not in too good a way healthwise let alone coping with the loss of Betty.

Phil 

Thanks Phil, and best wishes to Dave.

One thing I will never understand is folk seeking help/advice get rude & stroppy toward reply's that they feel don't comply with their expectations ,to me if I was able to help I  would feel less inclined than to some one that was courteous

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I suspect it’s related to the “You’re all winners, just for taking part” philosophy. No, they’re all losers if they didn’t actually win, and all those platitudes achieve is to encourage that feeling of entitlement that seems to pervade modern society. 

I used to gopher for a team in British GT. One of the drivers, the late Allan Simonsen, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Simonsen_(racing_driver) had a saying

"To come second, is the first of the losers."

Edited by Ray T

Just now, Ray T said:

To come second, is the first of the losers.

Absolutely. And my old PE teacher used to say “If you gain a place you’ve actually gained two places because not only is there one less in front of you but there’s now one more behind you.”

Okay, he wasn’t that great at maths ;)

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Absolutely. And my old PE teacher used to say “If you gain a place you’ve actually gained two places because not only is there one less in front of you but there’s now one more behind you.”

I'm gonna think about that one all day an' I know I still won't get it. ?

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Reminds me of this old amusing trope:

"You are in a race and you overtake the person in second place. What position are you now in?"

Most people will incorrectly insist they are in "first place".

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Reminds me of this old amusing trope:

"You are in a race and you overtake the person in second place. What position are you now in?"

Most people will incorrectly insist they are in "first place".

O.K., fools rush in where Angles fear to tread (Saxon proverb).

What is your answer?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

O.K., fools rush in where Angles fear to tread (Saxon proverb).

What is your answer?

Second place, surely ?

(You were in third place before the overtaking).

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Second place, surely ?

(You were in third place before the overtaking).

Quite.

The person in first place will still be there in first place. Second and third have just swapped over. You have to overtake the person in first place to take first place, innit!