It's like bloomin' bumper cars!

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

Yesterday, moored on a relatively wide long straight, I watched a rented day boat turn towards me at about 100 metres range.  He got closer and closer without course correction.  He began to look panicked at about 25 metres, and by 10 meters was exclaiming "Ohh! Ooh! Ooh!" in increasingly high pitched tones until, you've guessed it, he hit us a glancing blow amidships and bounced off. 

Just now, moored on a different relatively wide long straight, there was a loud bang, the sleeping dog did a backward somersault and general carnage resulted - a hire boat was diagonally across the canal and had driven slap bang into my stern.  Apparently his rudder got stuck.  

Now, this stuff doesn't happen to me much, possibly because I avoid mooring where I might make navigation difficult for others but, streuth, I'm glad I don't park my car  near a hire car depot if it's acceptable for companies to rent transport to folk who really have no idea how to steer!  :banghead:

Rant over. Many thanks. :)

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Up periscope captain, and torpedo the buggers! 

Too short a range Rusty - there'd be massive self-inflicted damage too.  I also fear the CRT budget would not cope with the aftermath of the deployment of warheads containing Torpex on the canal system. :captain:

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Too short a range Rusty - there'd be massive self-inflicted damage too.  I also fear the CRT budget would not cope with the aftermath of the deployment of warheads containing Torpex on the canal system. :captain:

We were once hit, V hard amidships  by a twenty foot trip boat on a river. I had my head in the cupboard exactly where and at the same time he rammed us.He hit us square on at speed. I jumped out of my skin.I thought a bomb had gone off.

It left a dent in the side of our boat.He was sorry. I should have claimed on his insurance, but stupidly didn't.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

...should have claimed on his insurance, but stupidly didn't.

When there's already wear and tear from canal cruising it's a bit hard to justify a claim for scrape, some paint damage or a dent though, isn't it. :(

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

When there's already wear and tear from canal cruising it's a bit hard to justify a claim for scrape, some paint damage or a dent though, isn't it. :(

I was going to claim for new underpants!!!!

Watch out for the Rothens dredger crews on the GU between Weedon and Whilton. 2 brand new push tugs and 6 hoppers lifted in today and most of the agency staff who turned up have never steered a boat before.

I had a few sharp words with one who turned at a daft speed and then came to moor in front of me, smacking off the newly painted front end without an apology. He then reversed into me and was trying to kick the boat away by sticking his boots on the shiny front cant. I didn't call him a cant but did have a growl.

Clearly its universal  caused by the sunspots .Got hit admidships pushing  trolley  in tescos today by some bloke today came out of an alley at 4 mph and t boned me, trolley crashed across isle and hit display stand.  I politely made the observation that i am glad he wasnt driving, at which point he told me to f off. At least he wasnt on farcebook as well

I got hit, almost head-on, the other day at a bridge.

As I approached a bridge there was a boat about the same distance approaching from the other side.

I slowed down, almost to a stop, but then the other boat veered  into the towpath side and disappeared from my view. I wrongly assumed he was giving way to me so began to speed up. The other boat then suddenly reappeared,  sporting a large bow wave so I did an emergency stop, stopping well over an boats length from the bridge. My nose was againt the non towpath side bank, which was on my right.

The other boat came out of the bridge at unabated speed, carried on straight towards me and glanced off my bow.

I asked him if he knew the correct side to pass on. He answered that it was impossible to steer for several boat lengths after exiting a bridge, and he was surprised I didn't know this! 

So I guess it proves every day is a school day.  45 years boating and I only just found this out! Fortunately not knowing this previously has always allowed me to steer a bit to one side, if necessary, whilst exiting under narrow bridges with a boat close to the bridge.

Of course now I know that you can't steer for a couple of boat lengths after coming out of a bridge I will have to change the habit of a lifetime. ?

• Greenie 1