Rylard Bitumastic

Featured Posts

Had my boat blacked last November. After eight months it's still nice and shiny,and I would like a tin of the same stuff for touching up.

The yard that did the blacking tell me they used Rylard Bitumastic. They havn't got any as they now use something else. Have looked on the net but can't find any,however I have noted that coal tar products are to be banned from Jan 2019,perhaps this has got something to do with it.

Does anyone know of a supplier of Rylard,or another make of blacking that stays shiny for a long time?

Thanks for any replies.

1 hour ago, Furness said:

Had my boat blacked last November. After eight months it's still nice and shiny,and I would like a tin of the same stuff for touching up.

The yard that did the blacking tell me they used Rylard Bitumastic. They havn't got any as they now use something else. Have looked on the net but can't find any,however I have noted that coal tar products are to be banned from Jan 2019,perhaps this has got something to do with it.

Does anyone know of a supplier of Rylard,or another make of blacking that stays shiny for a long time?

Thanks for any replies.

Rylards do two blacking products: Rytex is thick and matt black; Premium is thinner, supposedly more diesel resistant, and has a sheen.  I used both last August, and it's still on the shelf in my marina so I'm pretty sure they're both still available.  Sounds to me like you're looking for Rylards Premium.  Where are you?

37 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Rylards do two blacking products: Rytex is thick and matt black; Premium is thinner, supposedly more diesel resistant, and has a sheen.  I used both last August, and it's still on the shelf in my marina so I'm pretty sure they're both still available.  Sounds to me like you're looking for Rylards Premium.  Where are you?

Thanks for the reply, I am in Huddersfield.

14 minutes ago, Furness said:

Have found Ely Boat Chandlers specifically advertise Rylard Premium Blacking.They will post,so I will order from them.

Thanks to Sea Dog for your reply. 

I don't want to be a misery or wrong - but Rylands stopped making bituminous coatings in January. Some companies don't always update their websites promptly...

Be prepared for your bituminous coating to be no longer available..

There are good alternatives available - it is said.....

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I don't want to be a misery or wrong - but Rylands stopped making bituminous coatings in January. Some companies don't always update their websites promptly...

Be prepared for your bituminous coating to be no longer available..

There are good alternatives available - it is said.....

That will be a disappointment. I've done mine twice with Rylards now and it's gone on without much bother and  stood up pretty well.

I am now utterly confused. Having been informed by two well respected boatyards that bituminous blacking coatings were no longer available, I went onto Rylard's site this morning and found this:-

http://rylardpaints.co.uk/product/rylard-premium-protection/

I downloaded the spec: sheet and extracted this nugget -

An economic, high performance bitumen paint

Now I can't get rid of this text box so will continue -

The spec sheet is dated April 2018 so supercedes the previous notice.

I may well do some more research and report back.

3 hours ago, Furness said:

Just tried Ely Boat Chandlers and although Rylard Premium is still on their website they haven't got any.

Will keep looking,but if anyone knows of a stockist, please post it here.

We bought ours online here:

https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/Rylards_Hull_Coatings_.html

We also got some from Uxbridge Boat Centre