Access ladder

Tractor

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tractor said:

No bulkhead to fix to, but look a neat solution, thanks for the response.

You see a lot of toe steps on narrow boats like the below on the outside cabin.    Depends where you want to put them I presume.

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-sprung-folding-toe-step-chrome.html?sqr=n step&

Edited by Robbo

23 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You see a lot of toe steps on narrow boats like the below on the outside cabin.    Depends where you want to put them I presume.

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-sprung-folding-toe-step-chrome.html?sqr=n step&

Is there no frame at the rear to hold the doors?

I bolted a couple of the above steps to either side if the rear door frame and hop up using them...

I am looking for a ladder to rest against the sliding hatch, in the open position. With feet resting on the decking which covers the engine bay. This will give quick access to the roof of the boat for single handed operation. Fast securing points are not available without reworking the wood lining.

1 hour ago, Tractor said:

I am looking for a ladder to rest against the sliding hatch, in the open position. With feet resting on the decking which covers the engine bay. This will give quick access to the roof of the boat for single handed operation. Fast securing points are not available without reworking the wood lining.

With the foot of the ladder on the deck boards and the top resting on the open hatch the ladder will be at far too flat an angle to be safe.

And how will you get in and out of the cabin with a ladder there?

As has been said, a folding step on the cabin side is the normal solution. Assuming a steel cabin shell, these can be attached using suitable hollow anchor fixings if there is no access to the inside face of the steel.

Edited by David Mack

I have seen it done, the top of the ladder was fastened onto the hatch runners with the ladder extending be about 2 foot above the roof. It meant the gent could climb easily and 'safely' onto the roof for singlehanding locks. Obviously you remove ladder and store on roof when accessing the cabin.

Had an old wooden ladder in the garage for years.Sawed it half [about to six or seven rungs,] and skip onto the roof easily.

When you want to go into the cabin simply turn the ladder sideways.