Hosepipe ban

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

What about people who have physical disability which prevents them from lifting and carrying a watering can to water pot plants etc.

They are exempt from the ban,.

A very low pound from lock 7 to lock 6 on the Rufford Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool today caused us to shuffle along. Two huge shed sized pumps by the field side sucking water for the vegetable plants from the canal are pumping fountains over the countryside. The fields of brilliant green turf for golf courses, sports pitches and gardens are an impressive sight here too.

I understand the Trust makes a few bob from this sort of extraction.

Winter Hill in the distance with its plumes of smoke from the grass fires gives a contrasting note to it all.

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No idea? ask  me one on sport. Is there some clause as there is in many establishments that ban dogs but have to allow guide dogs in? Or do the plants suffer?

I know that in Wales if you have a blue badge you can use a hosepipe to water your garden without a licence. 

A bit of googling shows that there currently is a ban only in NI.  This seems to not because water is running out but because demand is up 25% which is probably unsustainable.

The Irish restrictions are below:

The following activities are prohibited during this period:

• Watering a garden using a hosepipe;
  • Watering outdoor plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe;
  • Drawing water, using a hosepipe for domestic recreational use;
  • Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool using a hosepipe;
  • Filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe;
  • Cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe;
  • Cleaning a private motor vehicle using a hosepipe;
  • Cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises using a hosepipe;
  • Cleaning paths or patios of domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe;

It would also appear that each water company draws up its own restrictions and exemptions as a page at hosepipeban.org.uk gives you links to each water companies restrictions for the last hosepipe ban in 2012.

4 hours ago, StephenA said:

Severn Trent have been sending text messages asking people to restrict water usage

As I understand it, such messages reach only people who have a mobile telephone. How will everyone else get the message?

In the 39 years we have lived in West Wiltshire, I can only recall us having a sprinkler ban a few times, but never never a hosepipe ban. Our water company is Wessex Water, who are one of the most expensive, but they claim (or used to claim) that we pay more because the system has been updated and maintained to reduce water loss through bursts etc. Our water does not come from a reserviour, but a borehole just outside the village, and given the amount of rain we have had until recently, the water table must be almost full, so I am not expecting any sort of restrictions in the immediate future, not that we use much any way.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

So if I put a small dog in my tank, I can use two hoses at the same time?

No it has to be a Tiger

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Just tell interested onlookers (or busybodies) that boaters are exempt because it's drinking water. That should shut them up for long enough to fill your tank.  

Last time we had one I was on the Fens and watched a bloke pressure washing his house roof at Prickwillow clambering around on the tiles

7 hours ago, Athy said:

As I understand it, such messages reach only people who have a mobile telephone. How will everyone else get the message?

As I said - its been on the TV and apparently also on the radio, and in the local press (both printed and on-line).

13 hours ago, Ray T said:

However did working boaters manage with just these?

20130703-070921.jpg

13 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Erm, they were a bit stinky?

Can I ask if you ever had contact with a working boater/family in his working environment the cleanliness of boat & persons would probably have surprised you

13 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

A very low pound from lock 7 to lock 6 on the Rufford Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool today caused us to shuffle along. Two huge shed sized pumps by the field side sucking water for the vegetable plants from the canal are pumping fountains over the countryside. The fields of brilliant green turf for golf courses, sports pitches and gardens are an impressive sight here too.

I understand the Trust makes a few bob from this sort of extraction.

Winter Hill in the distance with its plumes of smoke from the grass fires gives a contrasting note to it all.

The income from the 'utilities' (water extraction and surface water drainage into the canal, etc etc) is almost as much as the total boating income from licences & moorings

Utilities = £27 million

Boat Licences and moorings = £36m

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The income from the 'utilities' (water extraction and surface water drainage into the canal, etc etc) is almost as much as the total boating income from licences & moorings

Utilities = £27 million

Boat Licences and moorings = £36m

As opposed to the total income from boating related activity which is a higher figure.

George

15 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

As opposed to the total income from boating related activity which is a higher figure.

George

No argument (but don't forget that BWML is up for sale and C&RT will therefore lose the £8.3m that BWML generates)

£27m is not to 'be sniffed at' and if C&RT started putting extraction restrictions on the water supply they would soon lose it as other arrangements were made.

A couple of years ago we sold 45 acres of land of which 50%  has been turned into an enormous** agricultural reservoir, with pahse 2 being the building of a second one in the future.

The Government / EU gave the farmer a grant in excess of £3m to become 'self sufficient' in water.

** Capacity, leaving 1.2m freeboard, is 230,000,000,000 litres

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Can I ask if you ever had contact with a working boater/family in his working environment the cleanliness of boat & persons would probably have surprised you

Alan, my comment about the water cans was very much tongue in cheek. I am priviledged to know a few retired boaters and I'd rather mix with any of them than some off the bank.

Please see also post No 22.

Edited by Ray T

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

In the modern sense, yes.  In the 100 years ago sense no.  Have you?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I must have a strange sense of humour.  I started this topic as a joke, but it must have been a bit off because it's led to a serious discussion.  I'm new, so I don't know if that is normal on this site.

Yep. Lots of people here seem to have had a sense of humour bypass. 

I find if you attempt a "joke", you must put a funny smiley afterwards :)

When I was small it was normal to have a bath once a week.  Nowadays I'm tempted to have more than one (shower) per day.  I can't help feeling that in some way it is related to us eating more (and more fatty stuff) than we did then.  Does food = fumes?

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I started this topic as a joke, but it must have been a bit off because it's led to a serious discussion.

After a group discussion, the Bee Gees tidied the lyrics up a bit and got themselves a hit.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

When I was small it was normal to have a bath once a week.  Nowadays I'm tempted to have more than one (shower) per day.  I can't help feeling that in some way it is related to us eating more (and more fatty stuff) than we did then.  Does food = fumes?

Er....how can one put this delicately?...not immediately, no.