Hosepipe ban

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've seen on the news that a hosepipe ban may be on its way, so I'd advise everyone to fill up their water tanks now, or you'll have to spend ages doing it by filling a jug about 1000 times and tipping it in.

Glad to be of service!

Doesn’t count if ya filling ya tank up.  Also doesn’t count if you use for animals as well, like a small holding/farm

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

hosepipe bans are for numpties that still actualy wash their cars or water their lawns when there is a water shortage!!

What about people who have physical disability which prevents them from lifting and carrying a watering can to water pot plants etc.

12 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

What about people who have physical disability which prevents them from lifting and carrying a watering can to water pot plants etc.

No idea? ask  me one on sport. Is there some clause as there is in many establishments that ban dogs but have to allow guide dogs in? Or do the plants suffer?

I would be interested to know how people are informed of a hosepipe ban. Our water company, Anglia, always sends letters and bills promptly when they want our money. May i assume that they will send us a letter informing us of any ban or restriction on hosepipe use? I've never had such a letter from any of the water companies with whom we have had accounts over the years.

If they do not send a letter out to all their consumers, what would they do? Put a notice in the local paper? Possibly, but our local (free) paper is no longer delivered to our village. Place an advert on T.V? Get the ban or restriction proclaimed on regional radio or T.V. news? None of these methods is guaranteed to reach every customer. 

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've seen on the news that a hosepipe ban may be on its way, so I'd advise everyone to fill up their water tanks now, or you'll have to spend ages doing it by filling a jug about 1000 times and tipping it in.

Glad to be of service!

A few years back with a water shortage and hosepipe ban a few boaters did get shouted at by locals for using hose pipes. If I filled my tank with a jug it would take forever and the wastage from spillage would be huge. Like all sensible boaters I run a fair bit of water through my hose before filling the tank and I tried to be a bit discrete about this as it might look like reckless wastage to a landlubber. If we didn't do this and got a contaminated water tank the wastage from tank flushing would of course be massive.

...............Dave

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Glad to be of service!

I seem to remember a hosepipe ban, if one reads the letter of the Order, is usually a ban on unattended use of a hosepipe. Or used to be anyway. 

So using a hosepipe to manually fill your tank, water the plants, or even wash the car is fine. What you can't do is leave one running a lawn sprinkler for hours on end, of fill your swimming pool.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Do people actually wash cars and water lawns at any time  ?

Ahh now I am led to believe they do :giggles: strange but true innitt .............................I am told...................and you will  not believe this..............some people polish brass :lol:

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I would be interested to know how people are informed of a hosepipe ban. Our water company, Anglia, always sends letters and bills promptly when they want our money. May i assume that they will send us a letter informing us of any ban or restriction on hosepipe use? I've never had such a letter from any of the water companies with whom we have had accounts over the years.

If they do not send a letter out to all their consumers, what would they do? Put a notice in the local paper? Possibly, but our local (free) paper is no longer delivered to our village. Place an advert on T.V? Get the ban or restriction proclaimed on regional radio or T.V. news? None of these methods is guaranteed to reach every customer. 

Severn Trent have been sending text messages asking people to restrict water usage - they have plenty of water but can't get it through the pipes fast enough. Its been on the local news too.  Didn't stop the stupid numpty down the road from jet washing his perfectly clean gleaming white SUV on Sunday morning though....

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

Erm, they were a bit stinky?

Erm, No. Not at all by any means. Most of the working boaters were fastidious and took a pride in both their boats and their own appearance. Of course there were scruffy ones, just like life on the bank. Mimas and Ray, crewed by Arthur and Nellie Stokes with their two girls, would have put many a house holder to shame.

They just led far more simple lives and demanded less than we do today.

Photo from "A Canal People" Longdon / Rolt.

scan0001.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Erm, they were a bit stinky?

Probably not. Our first boat was old and very VERY basic. There was no pumped or heated water and deffo now bathroom or shower fitted. We had a gas cooker so  heated water in a pan on that and had a strip was couple of times a day stood in a washing up  bowl. We were never stinky, its more a case now that we are all whimpy and rely on ever more and more gadgets.

• Greenie 1