Sewage

Su Jonesy

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is a process in summer that sometimes generates nasty brown frothy turd looking lumps on the surface of the water, can't remember the details. I wonder if the breach has totally stopped the natural flow of water through Burscough???

I suspect that's what it is - we saw it when we used to be moored at Crooke

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is a process in summer that sometimes generates nasty brown frothy turd looking lumps on the surface of the water, can't remember the details. I wonder if the breach has totally stopped the natural flow of water through Burscough???

..............Dave

I see that happening a lot just now on a pond in our local wood. In bright sunlight you can watch the lumps of brown stuff coming up from the bottom and sitting on the surface. They don't look pleasant but when poked with a stick they break up into small particles. Perhaps with few boat movements there just now the water is clearer and the sunlight is getting to the bottom of the canal and causing these brown blobs.

haggis

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

I see that happening a lot just now on a pond in our local wood. In bright sunlight you can watch the lumps of brown stuff coming up from the bottom and sitting on the surface. They don't look pleasant but when poked with a stick they break up into small particles. Perhaps with few boat movements there just now the water is clearer and the sunlight is getting to the bottom of the canal and causing these brown blobs.

haggis

Rotting vegetation creating methane which bubbles up to surface bringing said turd looking stuff with it. Marina where I am is full of it.

If people were pumping out into the canal it would be very obvious, as it isn't an easily disguised activity. They would have to wait until after dark and have some sort of masking noise. The slurry would also be easily recognised as it would have a mass of shredded loo paper in it. Hard to miss. That is the giveaway for sewage - not lumps of what look like poo. Whenever there is sharp temperature change the decaying algae crust at the bottom of the canal lifts and rises to the surface looking just like turds and scum. For those already minded that canal users are dirty etc this feeds into and 'proves' a preconception.

I would bet that is what happens here.

Of course it is remotely possible that people are pumping out late at night, but a lot less likely.  

18 hours ago, Su Jonesy said:

even if we all pumped into the canal at the same time it would still be a lot less  mess than what's in there now.

If you think that it is definitely sewage and not bits floating up off the canal bed then it could be a faulty / badly maintained septic tank contaminating water that runs into the canal - I have experienced this but it's still too traumatic to talk about. ?  It was reported to SEPA who took it very seriously and dealt with the guilty party PDQ. So if like Tigerr said you can see toilet paper or sanitary products contact EA as soon as you can and let them investigate the matter.

It's more likely a faulty septic tank that boaters I would have thought and more likely stuff floating up from the canal bed than sewage - but I don't know cos I'm not there. ?

*SEPA - Scottish Environment Protection Agency. 

Its deffo sewage. We have been informed its a good area to pump out into so we nip up there every two weeks to pump out. Its a right pain at the moment we are having to travel all day and all night to get there as we are currently on the K and A.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its deffo sewage. We have been informed its a good area to pump out into so we nip up there every two weeks to pump out. Its a right pain at the moment we are having to travel all day and all night to get there as we are currently on the K and A.

There was a boat on the K&A that had a built in pump so that he could push the contents of his pump out tank out of the boat. He claimed to use the CaRT pumpout machines without paying by pushing his poo up through the CaRT pump. This always struck me as incredibly ant-social and incredible foolish, poo under suction is ok but poo under pressure is a messy accident waiting to happen.

...............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

There was a boat on the K&A that had a built in pump so that he could push the contents of his pump out tank out of the boat. He claimed to use the CaRT pumpout machines without paying by pushing his poo up through the CaRT pump. This always struck me as incredibly ant-social and incredible foolish, poo under suction is ok but poo under pressure is a messy accident waiting to happen.

...............Dave

There was a boat moored at Lower Heyford long term moorings around twenty years ago with a similar device fitted to push the poo out. The lady a  nurse as it happens who bought the boat had it removed!!

It's highly unlikely to be sewage from a passing boat. In all my years boating I have never seen anyone pump out into a canal though I suspect it occasionally happens. To have more than one boat pumping out as it's passing the same location would be stretching probability to the limit. 

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:38, Iain_S said:

It's surely a lot easier to tip a cassette over the side, than do a pump out?

My thoughts exactly.

I have a pumpout and years ago considered buying a self pumpout kit. It didn't take long to work out all the disadvantages. I can only think of one or two occasions where I've seen self pumpout taking place. My casual observations are that most Elsan points specifically ban it.

Now, cassettes would be much easier to be anti-social with  Indeed when I used take the dog for a walk along the local canal (Rickmansworth on the Grand Union) I had to put her on the lead as we passed a long line of 'visitor' moorings. If I didn't she would disappear into the scrub and as like as not come back with signs of **** on her. Not pleasant company for the drive home

On 01/07/2018 at 19:27, ditchcrawler said:

Or it may not even be sewage, it could be organic material coming up due to the warm weather, but then it may not, The EA will sample and tell for sure

I'm shocked to discover the (EA) River Ouse allows sewage into the river..... totally shocked, considering many like to swim in this river.

Sorry, I know this is little off topic

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/canal-boat/20161201/283412011260526

8 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm shocked to discover the (EA) River Ouse allows sewage into the river..... totally shocked, considering many like to swim in this river.

Cows, fish and various other creatures are also rumoured to poo in rivers, regardless of EA regulations.

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Cows, fish and various other creatures are also rumoured to poo in rivers, regardless of EA regulations.

I know, though perhaps some of those creature's diseases don't affect us, though weils and hepatitis does. 

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

1 hour ago, Ssscrudddy said:

The Nene also allows sea toilets

Also add the River Trent to the list

On 01/07/2018 at 21:08, dmr said:

There is a process in summer that sometimes generates nasty brown frothy turd looking lumps on the surface of the water, can't remember the details.

Saw several instances of this last week from Buckby to Blisworth.  I too wondered if it was sewage or summat else.

The bubbly frothy brown stuff is sewage. talking to my neighbour about it He has also noticed it more when boats come over from the Lancaster canal. apparently quite a few boats have a sea toilet. As Burscough is a  main thoroughfare from Lancaster to Liverpool. Via Tarlton and the Douglas. Makes you think. 

The reason Aguilla has seen few boats about is because of the breach at Melling. Not so much traffic going into the Pool.

Edited by Su Jonesy
extra info

7 minutes ago, Su Jonesy said:

The bubbly frothy brown stuff is sewage. talking to my neighbour about it He has also noticed it more when boats come over from the Lancaster canal. apparently quite a few boats have a sea toilet. As Burscough is a  main thoroughfare from Lancaster to Liverpool. Via Tarlton and the Douglas. Makes you think.

But you can't get far past Burscough as the canal is closed so no one is going to Liverpool for the next few months.

More importantly have you reported it to the EA so they can investigate?

23 minutes ago, Su Jonesy said:

The bubbly frothy brown stuff is sewage.

Without evidence to support your claim , I think you will struggle to convince most people on this point.

You have certainly failed to convince me, I'm afraid.

Edited by alan_fincher

It is being narrowed down a bit now though from just passing boats to passing boats which have come from the Lancaster. I wonder why boats on the Lancaster have sea toilets? That's a puzzling one but I am sure we will hear the answer soon.

Another puzzle is why boats from the Lancaster wait till Burscough to empty their sea toilets when they have just come over a couple of rivers.

haggis

Edited by haggis

Just now, haggis said:

It is being narrowed down a bit now though from just passing boats to passing boats which have come from the Lancaster. I wonder why boats on the Lancaster have sea toilets? That's a puzzling one but I am sure we will hear the answer soon.

haggis

I have a sea toilet (actually two) and I am not on, or from the Lancaster, Liverpool or Douglas