Sewage

Su Jonesy

Featured Posts

Why do people have to empty their pump out toilets into the canal? In Burscough this happens everyday as boaters seem to think because this is a quite stretch the can.

This weather it's terribly smelly and a health hazzard. I darent carry out prop clearing. Offenders should be fined or their licences revoked.

Just now, Su Jonesy said:

I wish I could find out who is doing it. Quite a few boats by the amount of filth floating about. Just passers through not locals.

If you don't know who is doing it, how do you know its 'passers thru' ?

Had I been asked I would have thought 'passers thru' would be unlikely to do it as they will be passing a elsan point most days. I would have suggested the guilty party(s) are those locals that don't move very much and its easier to tip it overboard than it is to start up the boat and go and find an elsan station.

Try getting photo's of the offenders then you will know rather than just speculating.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Su Jonesy said:

I wish I could find out who is doing it. Quite a few boats by the amount of filth floating about. Just passers through not locals.

Defo NIMBY boaters

What a bizarre argument.

I don't know who is doing it, but they are definitely not locals! :wacko:

Not really on to make an allegation you appear to have no proof for.

Edited by alan_fincher

Like I said where I am it's quiet. Only a few regular boaters and liveaboards majority have cassettes and even if we all pumped into the canal at the same time it would still be a lot less  mess than what's in there now.

I know what she means, though.  Around Burscough there is quite a bit of brown frothy stuff floating around.  I didn't immediately assume it was boaters' sewage, and there wasn't any extra smell, but I still avoided contact as far as I could.  People were letting their dogs swim in it, though.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

So it's "very quiet", but even so at least one "non local" boat pumps out it's pump out tank directly into that stretch of canal.

Not something that people regularly stand accused of elsewhere, so wh do you imaine this stretch has been singled out for this unusual behaviour?

I'm sorry - I for one don't buy it.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

So it's "very quiet", but even so at least one "non local" boat pumps out it's pump out tank directly into that stretch of canal.

No, you are not listening it's LOTS of passing boats, even if it was all of the local boats there wouldn't be so much 'scum'.

Not being of the pump out persuasion I wouldn't know, but do a high proportion of boats with pump out toilets also carry self pump out kit? If this is a regular occurrence in one locality then one local with no sense of responsibility sounds more likely than lots of passing boats which all happen to have their own pumps.

4 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Not being of the pump out persuasion I wouldn't know, but do a high proportion of boats with pump out toilets also carry self pump out kit? If this is a regular occurrence in one locality then one local with no sense of responsibility sounds more likely than lots of passing boats which all happen to have their own pumps.

When we had a pumpout toilet we didn't have a self pumpout kit.

There are hundreds of boats going through there at the moment all heading for Liverpool. When I passed through in sunny weather it was very busy, but I bet 90% of the boats were from local moorings just going out for the Bank Holiday weekend and getting stuck at the swing bridge which broke every day.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Report the pollution to the environment agency.

You are assuming it is from boats but could be illegal discharge from some other source.

Hoscar Moss sewage treatment works - I think that has a discharge into the canal.

I have to admit I'm confused how passing boats are pumping out into the canal without it being very obvious to everyone.

I have seen sludge from the bottom of the canal lift and float on the surface when it gets rather warm.. which it currently is... so could it be that?

Also I suspect a lot of crud might have been stirred up by the breach and now the re-filling...

Edited by StephenA

In ten years of CCing I have seen one possible case of a boater doing a pumpout into the cut, though it was actually a small river.

So is the OP saying that all of these offending boats choose to moor up at Burscough, get their self pump out kit out onto the bank and do a pumpout?

It just doesn't happen like that. I know there are very few pumpout facilities on that bit of canal, but surely if it was going to happen it would be done out in the sticks and out of sight?.  Its most likely a natural process due to the hot weather and nothing to do with sewage, otherwise its a local static boat emptying a cassette into the cut.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Su Jonesy said:

Like I said where I am it's quiet. Only a few regular boaters and liveaboards majority have cassettes and even if we all pumped into the canal at the same time it would still be a lot less  mess than what's in there now.

If it's very quiet how many boats pass by per day ? & if its a pump out dump surely some one would see who was doing it After all it's not an activity you can hide/disguise very well & even if they did it after dark they would still need lights & would make noise so the resident boaters would become aware I have no knowledge of who is dumping or what is being dumped in the cut but would suggest the culprit is perhaps more local than passing traffic Play the "nosey" neighbour & see,if you see who's dumping

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are hundreds of boats going through there at the moment all heading for Liverpool. 

They won't be getting very far, there's still a hole at Melling and a distinct lack of water beyond. I'd be surprised if there was anything much moving at Burscough, unless it was heading for Tarleton. 

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

They won't be getting very far, there's still a hole at Melling and a distinct lack of water beyond. I'd be surprised if there was anything much moving at Burscough, unless it was heading for Tarleton. 

Of course, I now understand. Hundreds of boats heading for Liverpool with a critically full tank and hoping to do a pumpout at the Liverpool marina. They all failed to answer the phone call from CaRT informing them of the breach. As they get to Burscough they see a load of S**t in the water and phone CaRT to report it. during the conversation they suddenly learn that the Liver Pool is closed. Oh well they think, there's already a  load of S**t in the water here so a bit more won't make any difference.

There is a process in summer that sometimes generates nasty brown frothy turd looking lumps on the surface of the water, can't remember the details. I wonder if the breach has totally stopped the natural flow of water through Burscough???

..............Dave