Can a 60 foot narrowboat get to Ripon?

Quaysider

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, dmr said:

We are 70 foot 8 and 3/4 inches and getting to like the North more and more, can we fit through Thorne Lock?????

...............Dave

Possibly, maybe, but certainly worth a try, and you would have to go down the lock stern first with the stem in the mitres of the top gates - the cill is very short and stays covered with the lock drained right down.

If you can't get through Thorne you can by-pass it via Selby or Goole and the Ouse down to Trent End, but only in conditions suitable for both you and your boat and with all the appropriate pilotage info.

All the advice and guidance you need will be available via the Thunderboat forum.

Edited by DonCorleone
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Possibly, maybe, but certainly worth a try, and you would have to go down the lock stern first with the stem in the mitres of the top gates - the cill is very short and stays covered with the lock drained right down.

If you can't get through Thorne you can by-pass it via Selby or Goole and the Ouse down to Trent End, but only in conditions suitable for both you and your boat and with all the appropriate pilotage info.

This is good advice from someone!! who knows his stuff. My seventy footer was touching either end HOWEVER bow and stern design comes into play and who the hell knows precisely how long my Hudson 70 footer was? I never measured it so your may well fit and as................Don...........says you can always spin round and go Trent end as you can turn top or bottom of Thorne lock.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is good advice from someone!! who knows his stuff. My seventy footer was touching either end HOWEVER bow and stern design comes into play and who the hell knows precisely how long my Hudson 70 footer was? I never measured it so your may well fit and as................Don...........says you can always spin round and go Trent end as you can turn top or bottom of Thorne lock.

yes, Tony seems to give the impression that he knows his stuff :-) . Really good at reincarnations too !

haggis

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, carlt said:

Despite disagreeing with both peterboat and mrsmelly on a multitude of subjects I would never take anything they say with a pinch of salt and could never question their years of boating experience or their honesty. 

Most importantly though... What possible reason would mrsmelly have to lie? 

Though, being on a Hudson, I expect it was the butler actually doing the steering. 

Its exactly the same for me Carl some subjects we do agree on, [green energy] and others we dont, but I know on a lot of subjects you know your onions, and I wouldnt call you a liar as its bad manners and you could easily be right and me wrong ?

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

All the advice and guidance you need will be available via the Thunderboat forum.

I have just come down the Trent and around Trent Falls, we moored at the anchorage and then when the tide came in went up the Ouse and out at Goole. The weather was good tides small and it was an easy journey [we done it both ways], the journey is all down to timing and in our case very little fresh in either river to cause us any problems. Good advice on this journey is available for free as others have said from the Thunderboat  forum.

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have just come down the Trent and around Trent Falls, we moored at the anchorage and then when the tide came in went up the Ouse and out at Goole. The weather was good tides small and it was an easy journey [we done it both ways], the journey is all down to timing and in our case very little fresh in either river to cause us any problems.

Is it feasible to miss out Goole and do Selby - Trent Falls on the outgoing tide then up the Trent to either Keadby or West Stockwith on the incoming tide?

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well there is your answer, it was probably only about 40ft. No wonder you fitted in the bloody lock! ;)

ps the poster who implied that you weren't being honest is out of order.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, Señor Chris said:

Is it feasible to miss out Goole and do Selby - Trent Falls on the outgoing tide then up the Trent to either Keadby or West Stockwith on the incoming tide?

Yes, perfectly feasible, but also potentially very hazardous. You must have suitable weather and river conditions that both you and your boat can cope with, and the appropriate pilotage and tide time information. From Howden, just above Goole on the Ouse, to Keadby (Gunness Wharf) on the Trent you will be sharing the river with commercial shipping, and for the whole of the journey you will have to cope with the all of the many effects and characteristics of the area's tides. Pilotage and/or pilotage information and guidance is available from a retired former Humber, Ouse, and Trent barge and tug skipper on the Thunderboat forum. 

Edited by DonCorleone