Can a 60 foot narrowboat get to Ripon?

Quaysider

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats what I was expecting from you a typical numpty relpy. I no longer own it I sold it to another forum member who also took it through Thorne lock. I also took it up there with another forum member after buying it from yet another forum member. The boats name was Jenny  Rose CRT number 507293. I will remember you called me a liar I dont suffer fools too lightly. When someone gives you genuine true advice I suggest its better manners to respect what they have told you. If you realy want I will get them all to confirm it for you.........oh then again no I wont, just get on disbelieving someone due to some secondhand bought they once owned :banghead:

Another numpty reply coming "Not really Bothered" obviously your the "sensitive" type

Edited by PD1964

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

The point is the locks are shorter than you are used to,not that they are too short!  The big ones are not 200ft using the gates that you use though,  but still big.  Was a surprise that Skyehouse lock was manned, seems rather extravagant given how few boats there are in that area, proved by that fact we had to go wake him up from his snooze, nice work is you can get it, although I guess be could have been a volunteer.

Yes.

The regular vlockie is called Brian.

He lives over the road from Libby's (aka Little Else of this parish) sister's ma in law in Thorne.

We'd never met him but he knew all about us and our boat when we went through there for the first time a year or two ago!

AKA The New Junction Canal is lovely, can't recommend it enough. It is quiet, wide, deep and everything works just as it is designed to. Such a contrast with the HNC.

Although you are only a short distance from Doncaster (I was going to say civilisation but a line has to be drawn somewhere) it has a real 'middle of nowhere' feel to it.

Edited by Victor Vectis

5 hours ago, john6767 said:

Who said it was ?.  But my surprise was that CRT as paying a guy to sit there all day to lock perhaps half a dozen boats.  I did not even have the radio turned on or m at the back of the boat or else I could have woken him up that way, which I will do next week on the way back!

Sykehouse often used to go belly up, or people sometimes used to get confused because of the bridge. Often this resulted in a call to CRT, so perhaps they have decided it's easier just to have somebody there?

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Another numpty reply coming "Not really Bothered" obviously your the "sensitive" type

Tim, 'the sensitive type'.

Really?, you've obviously not met him......

11 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

The regular vlockie is called Brian.

He lives over the road from Libby's (aka Little Else of this parish) sister's ma in law in Thorne.

We'd never met him but he knew all about us and our boat when we went through there for the first time a year or two ago!

AKA The New Junction Canal is lovely, can't recommend it enough. It is quiet, wide, deep and everything works just as it is designed to. Such a contrast with the HNC.

Although you are only a short distance from Doncaster (I was going to say civilisation but a line has to be drawn somewhere) it has a real 'middle of nowhere' feel to it.

Too many bridges though, and we had the usual idiot run the red lights at one, he must have got under the barrier at the far side by inches.

A couple of observations.  The levels in the Ouse/Ure are very low, so the walkway on the bottom gates that stick out into the lock are too high relative to the water to cause a problem at the moment.

theee is a lot of leakage from the top gate at Milby lock in Boroughbridge so you will get a lot of water over the bow/stern with 60ft.  Here is our 50ft boat, not great pictures as the phone was fooled by the contrast, but you can see there is not much room behind, and the bow is close to the waterfall.

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

Edited by john6767

As far as taking a 60 footer to Ripon, we did so last year and it was less of a hassle than doing the Calder and Hebble. The only issue of note that we had was coming back down into Oxclose Lock on the way back the Ripon Canal. Water was leaking under the top cill at quite a rate and, since we were diagonally across the lock, the force of the flow pinned the boat to to lockside so initially we couldn't get out of the lock. A local gent who assisted said that CRT were due to try to fix the leak in last winter's closure programme, I didn't see on their website whether they did or not, I would hope that they did.

On 02/07/2018 at 16:45, PD1964 said:

Being a Hudson owner you probably think your better then most anyway,  then again we just have your word for it. Anyone else on here done it in a 70ft boat?

My understanding is that 70 footers can pass through Thorne Lock, but full length ex working GU narrow boats at 71ft 6in can't.

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

My understanding is that 70 footers can pass through Thorne Lock, but full length ex working GU narrow boats at 71ft 6in can't.

Why would an ex working GU boat at 71ft 6ins even want to go on the northern network where it can't go anywhere except the large electric commercial locks? Speaking to most people who have done the lock no one has ever known a 70ft doing it.

Edited by PD1964

Just now, PD1964 said:

Why would a ex working GU boat at 71ft 6ins even want to go on the northern network where it can't go anywhere except the large electric commercial locks? Speaking to most people who have done the lock no one has ever known a 70ft doing it.

I tell you what, we need to meet for a pint someday then we can discuss it in more depth?

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Why would an ex working GU boat at 71ft 6ins even want to go on the northern network where it can't go anywhere except the large electric commercial locks? Speaking to most people who have done the lock no one has ever known a 70ft doing it.

I've done Thorne lock a good few times and can see it would be incredibly tight but I see absolutely no reason not to believe Tim,  why are you being so insistent that he is lying? Did he nick you once when you were being a naughty boy?

Edited by MJG

20 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

The advice given to us by local boaters with regard to Sykehouse lock was do the bridge across the lock first and last.

I think that is what the instructions tell you as Sally had gone up there given no one seemed to be at home initially.  I don’t think it is any different to the A&C ones or the Trent ones  expert you have to swing the manual swing bridge first and your key goes in the swing bridge pedestal not either of the lock ones, which again is obvious when you think about it.

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Why would an ex working GU boat at 71ft 6ins even want to go on the northern network where it can't go anywhere except the large electric commercial locks?

Why not? Come down the Trent, perhaps taking side trips to the Chesterfield, Fossdyke & Witham and the Witham Navigable Drains, to Thorne Lock from both ends (but not through), up the Aire and Calder almost to Wakefield, the Aire to Leeds, then up the Ouse to beyond York. Plenty of boating waters.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's why the bwb cut down a bunch of town class boats to do maintainance up there. Deep enough to be useful and short enough to be easy. 

On the other subject just cos someone buys a boat from a particular builder who happened to set up in Tamworth that doesn't make them a liar or fantasist, and I bet a used Hudson depreciates very slowly if well maintained.

11 minutes ago, Neil T said:

MMnnn - before we descend into too much vitriol, without even the excuse of beer, I am the owner mentioned earlier who bought Jenny Rose off that nice mrsmelly.  

I went though this lock backwards on my maiden voyage from the Aire and Calder to Tamworth via the Trent / Nottingham etc. in what is still my 70ft Hudson. 

I know from practical personal experience therefore that it's doable even when you've only owned your first narrowboat for a couple of days. End of.

But it is tight, and the gates will push hard against your stern, fenders need to be up. 

Probably not doable for shiny boaters more proud of their paintwork than their locking skills.

Hi Neil

Hows the boat? Still looking after you all well I hope?  :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:34, Neil T said:

MMnnn - before we descend into too much vitriol, without even the excuse of beer, I am the owner mentioned earlier who bought Jenny Rose off that nice mrsmelly.  

I went though this lock backwards on my maiden voyage from the Aire and Calder to Tamworth via the Trent / Nottingham etc. in what is still my 70ft Hudson. 

I know from practical personal experience therefore that it's doable even when you've only owned your first narrowboat for a couple of days. End of.

But it is tight, and the gates will push hard against your stern, fenders need to be up. 

Probably not doable for shiny boaters more proud of their paintwork than their locking skills.

Oh nearly forgot to say to PD1964 you don't need to apologise for calling me a liar and if you find it tight getting a 62 foot boat were 70 feet will go Ill pop up and give you boating tuition anytime you wish ?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

Having now done Ripon and back to the midlands, can say that in a 60 ft boat you would need to be very careful about water getting in the boat, we came down the two Ouse locks between Boroughbridge and York with a 57 ft boat, whilst I got a lot water on the counter from the leaking locks, at the worst one they got 18 in of water in the engine bay, so be prepared.

56 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh nearly forgot to say to PD1964 you don't need to apologise for calling me a liar and if you find it tight getting a 62 foot boat were 70 feet will go Ill pop up and give you boating tuition anytime you wish ?

Don't worry Tim he is a k**b to say the least I believe you and my own eyes when I watched a nearly seventy footer going through throne lock's. Tony Dunkly also has done it but according to PD we are all liar's!! I usually can't be bothered to reply to him anymore but thought I would throw in my two penny worth. We are currently on the Trent in a 66 x 16.5 ex Barker tanker scaring gin palaces and narrowboats to death!!

• Greenie 1

On 18/07/2018 at 21:19, peterboat said:

Don't worry Tim he is a k**b to say the least I believe you and my own eyes when I watched a nearly seventy footer going through throne lock's. Tony Dunkly also has done it but according to PD we are all liar's!! I usually can't be bothered to reply to him anymore but thought I would throw in my two penny worth. We are currently on the Trent in a 66 x 16.5 ex Barker tanker scaring gin palaces and narrowboats to death!!

Most people take what you say with a pinch of salt, on here and in the real world, opinionated little man.

• Haha 1

On 19/07/2018 at 22:06, PD1964 said:

Most people take what you say with a pinch of salt, on here and in the real world, opinionated little man.

You should learn when not to reply, as it seems that most comments on this thread disagree with you and your opinions. You cant go around calling people liars, when its clear that you have no idea that what you are posting is wrong.

On 19/07/2018 at 22:06, PD1964 said:

Despite disagreeing with both peterboat and mrsmelly on a multitude of subjects I would never take anything they say with a pinch of salt and could never question their years of boating experience or their honesty. 

Most importantly though... What possible reason would mrsmelly have to lie? 

Though, being on a Hudson, I expect it was the butler actually doing the steering. 

• Greenie 1