Can a 60 foot narrowboat get to Ripon?

Quaysider

Featured Posts

We're about to head up to Ripon while the rivers are low and HAD intended travelling with some friends... wer'e 57' and they 60' - usually, in the guides it says the lock length etc and maximum boat length - for example on the calder and hebble we know we can get them in diagonally (carefully)...  

Has anyone been successful travelling up to Ripon on the same basis?

Yes if you diagonal or wriggle round the gates.

Crick Clegg, th publisher of canal maps based on time shows he did it in his boat which is/was 60ft 6ins.  If it aint on his map he couldn't get his boat there.

We are on our way to Ripon, moored at Naburn lock right now.  Only 50ft though, but the short lock at Thorn was a bit of a shock, being used to ones that are at least 70ft, so I will need to be carefully on the Ripon ones as well.

Cotswoldsman (formerly of this parish) took his 60ft boat to Ripon. He did from memory snap his tiller arm in one of the locks ISTR though, so care is required.

Ripon is worth a visit too. The canal and basin is lovely and the town interesting. It's not far from us and we often pop there in the car.

Edited by MJG

20 hours ago, john6767 said:

We are on our way to Ripon, moored at Naburn lock right now.  Only 50ft though, but the short lock at Thorn was a bit of a shock, being used to ones that are at least 70ft, so I will need to be carefully on the Ripon ones as well.

Why? your only 50ft so you will be fine on all the northern locks.

17 hours ago, Quaysider said:

ah right - thanks Martin ..... note to self, ensure they take the tiller off when in the lock diagonally... Expedition now back on ... whoooohoooo!

You won't get out of the lock if you do. What you will need to do is pay attention when you are in the locks because it's going to be tight - including watching the tiller arm

Richard

On 01/07/2018 at 13:17, john6767 said:

If you mean Thorne lock? It takes 70 foot narrowboats never mind 50 foot.

3 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Why? your only 50ft so you will be fine on all the northern locks.

Yes but it is a real shock even though I was expecting it,  just how short they are when you are used to full length locks.

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you mean Thorne lock? It takes 70 foot narrowboats never mind 50 foot.

Clearly I did a poor job in making my point!

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes but it is a real shock even though I was expecting it,  just how short they are when you are used to full length locks.

Clearly I did a poor job in making my point!

:)What point? Thorne lock takes 70 foot narrowboats so you should have been rattling around on a fifty footer. The locks on the A and C are well over 200 foot long even the shortest. Its a fab run to York and Ripon innitt.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:)What point? Thorne lock takes 70 foot narrowboats so you should have been rattling around on a fifty footer. The locks on the A and C are well over 200 foot long even the shortest. Its a fab run to York and Ripon innitt.

The point is the locks are shorter than you are used to,not that they are too short!  The big ones are not 200ft using the gates that you use though,  but still big.  Was a surprise that Skyehouse lock was manned, seems rather extravagant given how few boats there are in that area, proved by that fact we had to go wake him up from his snooze, nice work is you can get it, although I guess be could have been a volunteer.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The point is the locks are shorter than you are used to,not that they are too short!  The big ones are not 200ft using the gates that you use though,  but still big.  Was a surprise that Skyehouse lock was manned, seems rather extravagant given how few boats there are in that area, proved by that fact we had to go wake him up from his snooze, nice work is you can get it, although I guess be could have been a volunteer.

Sykehouse lock isnt on the A and C. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I still have my doubts that this lock can take a 70ft boat, has anyone been through in a 70ft in the last few years?

Yes, I have twice in my seventy foot Hudson.

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Then where did you go after that, once past the large electric locks?

Leeds. Had a mooring in Lemonroyd for a while. We also went down to Stanley ferry.

Edited by mrsmelly

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Sykehouse lock isnt on the A and C. 

Who said it was ?.  But my surprise was that CRT as paying a guy to sit there all day to lock perhaps half a dozen boats.  I did not even have the radio turned on or m at the back of the boat or else I could have woken him up that way, which I will do next week on the way back!

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I still can't see how you got a 70ft through there, as I'm just over 62ft with fenders ant It's tight.???

Then I am obviously a better boat handler than you arnt I. Coming downhill we came in backwards. A doddle realy.  

Edited by mrsmelly

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Who said it was ?.  But my surprise was that CRT as paying a guy to sit there all day to lock perhaps half a dozen boats.  I did not even have the radio turned on or m at the back of the boat or else I could have woken him up that way, which I will do next week on the way back!

He was a volunteer last time I went through, most of the New Boaters that go through there can't figure out how the lock is done, with the sequence of the swing bridge and the gates, often leading to delays for boats and the farmer that uses the bridge to access his land.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Then I am obviously a better boat handler than you arnt I. Coming downhill we came in backwards. A doddle realy.  

Being a Hudson owner you probably think your better then most anyway,  then again we just have your word for it. Anyone else on here done it in a 70ft boat?

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

He was a volunteer last time I went through, most of the New Boaters that go through there can't figure out how the lock is done, with the sequence of the swing bridge and the gates, often leading to delays for boats and the farmer that uses the bridge to access his land.

Thanks for that. As I said you are in the middle of a boating wilderness, i.e. no boats get there is a lock that is manned, not complaining.  None of the A&C ones were manned though, so perhaps it because of the swing bridge at Skyehouse.

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Being a Hudson owner you probably think your better then most anyway,  then again we just have your word for it. Anyone else on here done it in a 70ft boat?

Thats what I was expecting from you a typical numpty relpy. I no longer own it I sold it to another forum member who also took it through Thorne lock. I also took it up there with another forum member after buying it from yet another forum member. The boats name was Jenny  Rose CRT number 507293. I will remember you called me a liar I dont suffer fools too lightly. When someone gives you genuine true advice I suggest its better manners to respect what they have told you. If you realy want I will get them all to confirm it for you.........oh then again no I wont, just get on disbelieving someone due to some secondhand bought they once owned :banghead:

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 3