Tardebigge Flight

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

Never met any myself, but I understand there are Volockies assisting on the flight now. Otherwise, it's as Ray said, around 3.5 to 4 hours. The Queen's Head is at the bottom, but there is no pub at the top, which always seems a little left wing. ;)

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Never met any myself, but I understand there are Volockies assisting on the flight now. Otherwise, it's as Ray said, around 3.5 to 4 hours. The Queen's Head is at the bottom, but there is no pub at the top, which always seems a little left wing. ;)

The New Tardebigge pub is about half a mile from the top lock. But it's a chain family pub with a Wacky Warehouse, so not everyone's idea of a canal pub.

Just now, David Mack said:

The New Tardebigge pub is about half a mile from the top lock. But it's a chain family pub with a Wacky Warehouse, so not everyone's idea of a canal pub.

It might only be half a mile there, but you have to consider how far it is on the way back! :D

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It depends how many and where you meet boats coming the other way as well, If you end up waiting for them to do the lock before you can go in it can add the best part of 10 minuets to each locking

So love a minuet

58 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

Going solo - probably another hour or two on top?  so say 4-5hours sounds accurate?

First time going up was five hours exactly from the Queen's Head to the services at Tardebigge. This was entirely single handed, but I set off very early, so all but three locks had drained overnight and were in my favour. Second time, had help from a vlocky, so quicker. Single handed with a lot of other boats around will be quicker.

Jen

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

I recall it taking two half-days with a crew of four and an overnight stop and a meal at the pub half way down.

You'll be including the locks down beyond the Queen's Head, such as the Astwoods, en route to Hanbury Junction which is about half a day further on.

2 hours ago, rawsondsr said:

Well i'll be tackling it in the morning, hopefully there'll be some lockies about!

I've never met any volunteers on that flight, but they're not difficult locks if you don't find any either. Enjoy :)

10 hours ago, Horace42 said:

I recall it taking two half-days with a crew of four and an overnight stop and a meal at the pub half way down.

Didn't there used to be a pub part way down, closer to the top if I remember?  We went there by road to some canal related event donkeys years ago.

Took me about 6 hours due to a gate on lock 51 not shutting, so had to wait for the CRT guys to walk up the flight to me - but otherwise, a nice morning, and a nice flight to do.

I think you were the only other boat i saw too!

22 hours ago, sharpness said:

Didn't there used to be a pub part way down, closer to the top if I remember?  We went there by road to some canal related event donkeys years ago.

The Engine House by Lock 57 has been a pub, restaurant and night club over the years but is now apartments.