Fridges

Featured Posts

Here we go again, fridge playing up time, think i gota look at getting new fridge: ours a shoreline, by heck, they don't last long. Question if they are suitable for long term livaboards. Running for hours temp on 2,1/2 - 3 motor only turns off if down to 2, then may start up again till i turn it off at source for a while, batteries down to 11.8 this morning. Now main question what other makes do folk have, has anyone got ''inlander' fridge? Or Vitrifrigo by Penguin they claim for their 50 ltr will run off solar panel, very low consumption? Waeco crx50? Im not looking to go down route of 240v and having inverter on. Advice guidance welcome, thanks,?

13 minutes ago, oats said:

Here we go again, fridge playing up time, think i gota look at getting new fridge: ours a shoreline, by heck, they don't last long. Question if they are suitable for long term livaboards. Running for hours temp on 2,1/2 - 3 motor only turns off if down to 2, then may start up again till i turn it off at source for a while, batteries down to 11.8 this morning. Now main question what other makes do folk have, has anyone got ''inlander' fridge? Or Vitrifrigo by Penguin they claim for their 50 ltr will run off solar panel, very low consumption? Waeco crx50? Im not looking to go down route of 240v and having inverter on. Advice guidance welcome, thanks,?

• At first glance it looks to me like a battery problem - unless you can show otherwise.
  • The setting on your thermostat has little meaning - without an actual temperature reading - get a fridge thermometer.
  • In this hot weather fridges can easily ice up - have a look at the evaporator plate - ice is a good insulator and the unit won't cool.
  • If you get a good inverter the standby current can be very low - if that's your objection

I have a Waeco CR80, very happy, under 30Ah per day.

Normal cycle is about 10 minutes 'on', 20 minutes 'off', 10 on, 20 off, so running approximately 1/3 rd of the time during the day. Door is not opened at night and assume the cycle is even more 'off' and less 'on'.

It is extremely voltage sensitive, when I originally wired it in using the wiring for the old fridge, it was running 'full-time' (100%), and the things in the freezer melting, re-wired with heavier cabling and now running at 30% of the time and ice box works perfectly.

56 minutes ago, oats said:

Most 12v fridges use the same compressor make and they are good quality.  If the fridge is playing up then it’s more likely to be a installation problem rather than the reliability of the compressor.  Especially as it sounds like you’ve had issues previously.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

If my experience of Alibaba is anything to go by, you'll be quoted many times that amount when you ask for a quote. With a production capacity of 100k units per month they're clearly not targeting the private buyer. They don't seem to be sure whether it's 12v AC or DC either. 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Rob VP said:

For that price it's probably worth a gamble.  If it's not very good dump it.

100Ah, a 240 one and inverter would use less, thats probably what it is at then price

1 hour ago, oats said:

If your batteries are 11.8 I am surprised its even starting, or has it been modified ?

Make sure it's got plenty of ventilation. It's amazing how much heat comes off them. It could be staying on as it can't get cool enough due to poor ventilation. Pull it out and see if it runs ok. Battery voltage very low!

James

Edited by canals are us?

Thanks for the replies, Not had any problems with it for past 7 months this only started yesterday, fridge was running all evening turned down to 2 got up in night noticed fridge not working thats when saw batteries at 11.8 well vented, holes in floor beneath, batteries new mid last year, being charged by solar, door seals properly. Had this problem with last shoreline fridge, has leak inside cabinet cant be repaired. Think this maybe down to the heat?????? 

9 minutes ago, oats said:

Thanks for the replies, Not had any problems with it for past 7 months this only started yesterday, fridge was running all evening turned down to 2 got up in night noticed fridge not working thats when saw batteries at 11.8 well vented, holes in floor beneath, batteries new mid last year, being charged by solar, door seals properly. Had this problem with last shoreline fridge, has leak inside cabinet cant be repaired. Think this maybe down to the heat?????? 

Holes in the floor is a good start, but if the fridge is 'boxed in' , eth you are not going to get much circulation/ heat exchange between the coil and the surrounding air. I have two computer fans running all the time that the compressor is running - and the coils are cool(ish). So that's one area to look at.

I ask again Is the coil / plate in the fridge  iced up??? If it is then you need to remove the ice and see if that improves matters.

It's hot, the fridge works hard, it's going to take more power - so look at that angle as well....  

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Holes in the floor is a good start, but if the fridge is 'boxed in' , eth you are not going to get much circulation/ heat exchange between the coil and the surrounding air. I have two computer fans running all the time that the compressor is running - and the coils are cool(ish). So that's one area to look at.

I ask again Is the coil / plate in the fridge  iced up??? If it is then you need to remove the ice and see if that improves matters.

It's hot, the fridge works hard, it's going to take more power - so look at that angle as well....  

Hi thanks, a little ice on inner back panal, small freezer box looks ok my good lady is insisting it because of the heat, we out in open, not had any problems with batteries, not had to run engine for past 7 days as batteries all keep up, moved fridge out a bit, no difference.

3 minutes ago, oats said:

Hi thanks, a little ice on inner back panal, small freezer box looks ok my good lady is insisting it because of the heat, we out in open, not had any problems with batteries, not had to run engine for past 7 days as batteries all keep up, moved fridge out a bit, no difference.

Are you sure your batteries are full and not just maintaining the fridge. 11.8 is flat and if you fridge runs constantly you would be hard pushed to use more than 50Ah overnight \if you cover your solar panels what is your resting voltage now.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

At first glance it looks to me like a battery problem

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

To me also. 

33 minutes ago, oats said:

not had any problems with batteries, not had to run engine for past 7 days...

And thus it is confirmed as a battery problem. Well, a (lack of) charging problem to be precise. 

2 hours ago, oats said:

How much solar have you got, and which controller? How do you check that your batteries are fully charged? Are you saying that you havent had to run the engine for 7 days because solar gets them fully charged each day, or because they continue to run stuff.

I dont let my batteries fall below about 12.2V, and tend to find that 500W of solar via an MPPT controller keeps them full without having to run the engine, or genny. I can tell how full they are with a NASA BM2 battery monitor.

It definitely looks like your batteries are not good, (doesnt matter how new they are), and you definitely shouldn't be letting them get down to 11.8V. 

33 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And thus it is confirmed as a battery problem. Well, a (lack of) charging problem to be precise. 

Good point, not thought of that, thought solar was doing its job, ran engine for a short while tonight as it was 8 pm, checked with other boat near me first as it was late, batteries charging at 13, stopped engine rested it for a while, tested batteries 12.5, turned isolator switch off, so fridge etc off. Batteries remain at 12.5 not a lot i know will go for a good run tomorrow and see what happens, thanks for you comments, i hope this may help any other folks as well. Thats what the forum is about eh ?