What will happen to the Flapper in 2019

Heartland

Featured Posts

Good news indeed.

Cambrian Wharf wouldn't be the same without it.

And hats off to Birmingham City Council who appear to have listened to the popular view and got behind it.

I certainly will be making a trip and likely to be sooner as well as later.,

20 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

The Barge seems to have reopened too despite the crowd funding apparently failing

If you mean the Barge at Honeystreet (K&A) then its been re-open for a couple of years now with new sympathetic owners (no evil pubcos involved). Its largely returned to its former glory but with the rougher edges taken off. Sadly the property developer who tried to destroy it had more success with his other pub at Gt Bedywn.

Another sad loss is the Red Lion at Winsford, top of the Weaver, run as a sort of community focused music venue (and public bar) with nice interesting food and some local beers. It was doing so well that Punch Taverns felt a need to put their spanner in the works. I expect next it will be a failing eatery leading to conversion to a big house after a few years.

Last week had a couple of pints at the "Puzzle Hall" in Sowerby Bridge, just about canalside, and now rescued/rebuilt by the community.

.........................Dave

23 minutes ago, dmr said:

If you mean the Barge at Honeystreet (K&A) then its been re-open for a couple of years now with new sympathetic owners (no evil pubcos involved). Its largely returned to its former glory but with the rougher edges taken off. Sadly the property developer who tried to destroy it had more success with his other pub at Gt Bedywn.

Another sad loss is the Red Lion at Winsford, top of the Weaver, run as a sort of community focused music venue (and public bar) with nice interesting food and some local beers. It was doing so well that Punch Taverns felt a need to put their spanner in the works. I expect next it will be a failing eatery leading to conversion to a big house after a few years.

Last week had a couple of pints at the "Puzzle Hall" in Sowerby Bridge, just about canalside, and now rescued/rebuilt by the community.

I did mean that one, it was refered to earlier in the thread as under similar threat really pleased it is going again. So many iconic pubs disapearing, we went to the Red Lion many years ago when it was an Ind Coope or similar basic pub but good atmosphere all those types of pub disapearing. I was prompted to look up the Anchor at High Offley on the Shroppie, it seems to be closed, I hope that s just because of covid precautions and that it will reopen.

4 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I did mean that one, it was refered to earlier in the thread as under similar threat really pleased it is going again. So many iconic pubs disapearing, we went to the Red Lion many years ago when it was an Ind Coope or similar basic pub but good atmosphere all those types of pub disapearing. I was prompted to look up the Anchor at High Offley on the Shroppie, it seems to be closed, I hope that s just because of covid precautions and that it will reopen.

Olive the very very long term landlady died recently. I have heard that her daughter will take over, but as its all about sitting and chatting in two tiny bars there is probably no point in opening with Covid restrictions.

...............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Did you bump into Dr Bradley??

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Did you bump into Dr Bradley??

He occasionally drags himself away from Sowerby Bridge, I have bumped into him a couple of times elsewhere on the Rochdale. ?

Have had a couple of beers in the Golden Lion Todmorden in the good old days when one went for a few beers in the pub and chatted to people..

..........Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Olive the very very long term landlady died recently. I have heard that her daughter will take over, but as its all about sitting and chatting in two tiny bars there is probably no point in opening with Covid restrictions.

...............Dave

Oh that is sad. I can understand why the pub is shut but there is the campsite business too that should be thriving now - worrying.

10 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

Oh no, really? :(

That is a sad loss. I directed friends up there recently when their Weaver visit wasn't going to go as far as Winsford. Clearly they were too polite to tell me that my  recommendations sucked! 

A publican friend has nothing good to say about Punch Taverns - he does have a few choice words for them though!

11 hours ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

In just nineteen days' time, that should once more be possible.

The current situation with The Five Bells, by the church and the public mooring staithe in Upwell, is unclear. It closed a couple of years ago, was bought and refurbished by the owner of a flourishing local potato merchant's, and reopened about a year ago. But when I've been past recently it hasn't been showing any signs of life. There were rumours that it might be turned into holiday flats. Perhaps someone knows more?

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, Athy said:

In just nineteen days' time, that should once more be possible.

The current situation with The Five Bells, by the church and the public mooring staithe in Upwell, is unclear. It closed a couple of years ago, was bought and refurbished by the owner of a flourishing local potato merchant's, and reopened about a year ago. But when I've been past recently it hasn't been showing any signs of life. There were rumours that it might be turned into holiday flats. Perhaps someone knows more?

I base my own decisions on a desire to stay alive rather than arbitrary political decisions by a dodgy government.

Covid is increasing rapidly and my vaccinations only give me 90 protection.

It will be some time before I sit inside a crowded pub.

On a more positive note, I quite like some aspects of the new system, sitting in an uncrowded pub is quite good, and getting  table service from a beer wench is great, if a little dangerous....its a bit like the German system, when your pint is almost gone a new one magically appears ?

I appreciate the new system is not good for pub finances.

............Dave

47 minutes ago, dmr said:

I base my own decisions on a desire to stay alive rather than arbitrary political decisions by a dodgy government.

Covid is increasing rapidly and my vaccinations only give me 90 protection.

It will be some time before I sit inside a crowded pub.

On a more positive note, I quite like some aspects of the new system, sitting in an uncrowded pub is quite good, and getting  table service from a beer wench is great, if a little dangerous....its a bit like the German system, when your pint is almost gone a new one magically appears ?

I appreciate the new system is not good for pub finances.

............Dave

You must do as you think fit, and there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.

But DMR's point was about Covid Restrictions, which are due to be suspended in about three weeks' time. After that, it's up to individuals; but they will be ALLOWED to sit close together in pubs.