What will happen to the Flapper in 2019

Heartland

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Was/is the Flapper any good?  I always thought it looked rather like a 1970s hang over and I've never bothered to venture in, but perhaps I misjudged the place?

The Longboat, as it was originally, was part of a far-sighted development that included the retention of the Cambrian Wharf basin, the restoration of the Kingston Row cottages (one of which was for years BW's Canal Shop) as well as the construction of the adjacent tower blocks. Opened in about 1969 it marked the change from redevelopment filling in or turning its back on canals to instead making the canal a positive feature of the urban scene.

Originally alongside the pub there was a short arm in which was moored a Josher butty with a full length cabin, which could be hired out as a function room - the BCN Society met here occasionally. The boat carried the name Squirrel, the emblem of Ansell's Brewery who then owned the pub. Later the boat was sold and the arm filled in to provide more outdoor seating.

The Longboat became part of David Bruce's pub empire as the Flapper and Firkin and later just the Flapper.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Was/is the Flapper any good?  I always thought it looked rather like a 1970s hang over and I've never bothered to venture in, but perhaps I misjudged the place?

Unique and wonderful but not to every-bodies taste. Its not an eatery though they will supply a pizza. Basic benches and pool tables plus some pinball machines etc. Lovely balcony for looking out over the basin. A huge emphasis on music, especially heavy metal (invented in Birmingham!), Saturday nights are particularly full on. No trouble and a great friendly set of customers, though some do look rather scary. Very nice quiz. Three handpumps with beer in reasonable condition bit its not a real ale Mecca though does turn up a few really nice ones. Not a family place but they let the dog in. For me its in the top ten of canalside pubs.

...............Dave

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

The Longboat, as it was originally, was part of a far-sighted development that included the retention of the Cambrian Wharf basin, the restoration of the Kingston Row cottages (one of which was for years BW's Canal Shop) as well as the construction of the adjacent tower blocks. Opened in about 1969 it marked the change from redevelopment filling in or turning its back on canals to instead making the canal a positive feature of the urban scene.

Originally alongside the pub there was a short arm in which was moored a Josher butty with a full length cabin, which could be hired out as a function room - the BCN Society met here occasionally. The boat carried the name Squirrel, the emblem of Ansell's Brewery who then owned the pub. Later the boat was sold and the arm filled in to provide more outdoor seating.

The Longboat became part of David Bruce's pub empire as the Flapper and Firkin and later just the Flapper.

Pedant alert! The Flapper was not part of the David Bruce chain, he sold out the after opening about a Firkin dozen pubs, this pub was renamed the Flapper and Firkin by a subsequent owner of the 'franchise'.

• 1 year later...

The Flapper is still there and serving beer, but there was a fresh application for development, and the period for objections has closed. There seems to be a determined effort to get rid of the Flapper and this seems like a predatory developer intent at profit at whatever cost. Should it go ahead, this part of the canal will be changed forever, it would appear.

The application:

New images of the latest plans to demolish a canal-side pub in Birmingham city centre and build new apartments have been revealed.

Stratford-upon-Avon Whitehorse Estates is seeking permission to knock down the Flapper and Firkin pub in Kingston Row and create 27 flats. The two/three-storey building was constructed in the 1960s and used to be called The Longboat. If approved a new part three, part four-storey building with four apartments with three bedrooms, 16 with two and seven with one.

At the end of 2017, the applicant revealed plans to construct 66 apartments on the site but the proposal was withdrawn. A document submitted to the council on behalf of the applicant said: "This scheme has developed as a result of discussions with officers in response to the original planning application for this site. "This assessment, and the other reports accompanying this application, show that substantial changes have been made in response to criticisms of the original design. "The proposal is shown to be appropriate in principle, in terms of residential uses in this location, and in detail, in terms of both scale and appearance.

"The car free approach is to be supported, given the location of the development, with convenient access to all facilities, including public transport, with a car club contribution proposed to support residents to choose to be car free.

"The proposed development will provide a positive contribution to the surrounding townscape.

"The loss of the Flapper, though regrettable for patrons, is shown to be acceptable in terms of the range of other facilities available, both in the locality and across the city.

"The proposal will also not give rise to any adverse impacts to surrounding residential properties or the highway network.

"The residential accommodation provided is of a high quality in terms of prospective living conditions for future residents, overall design and accessibility, meeting the local planning authority’s requirements in respect of space and amenity."

The new application was submitted to the council at the end of 2018, but the images have just been published.

Source www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/new-images-published-for-city-centre-flats

Flapper_2.jpg

Of the Flapper was a disused pub or a venue with little customers the application would make sense, but it is a popular venue.

Edited by Heartland

• 1 year later...

In the mid 80's, a long serving tenant in one of the tower block flats would have had the opportunity to buy at about £6k. At the same time, a 1 bed apartment in one of the three blocks down by what is now the Mailbox was £17k. The subsequent rise after the later developments offered exponential profits.

As a regular in the Longboat at the time, I recall the moored butty sinking, fortunately as the arm was silted, it only resulted in a few wet feet. At that time, there was a plethora of 'proper' pubs around there in the back streets off Broad Street, and in the Jewellery Quarter, all well frequented as there were still many local residents, many of whom were employed in the little workshops that still existed in the jewellery trade.

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Where are the boats? Is no one mooring there?

there’s always a few in that corner 

Interesting. The "plans" do show an empty basin and once the block of flats is built the residents complaints and no mooring signs will soon appear. Cambrian Wharf will become another empty, sterile, dead and litter strewn basin. Maybe that process has already started.

Cambrian Wharf always had a lovely lively feel with boaters outside their boats chatting and getting boat jobs done, I expect the good vibes coming from the Flapper were a part of this.

............Dave

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

Interesting. The "plans" do show an empty basin and once the block of flats is built the residents complaints and no mooring signs will soon appear. Cambrian Wharf will become another empty, sterile, dead and litter strewn basin. Maybe that process has already started.

Cambrian Wharf always had a lovely lively feel with boaters outside their boats chatting and getting boat jobs done, I expect the good vibes coming from the Flapper were a part of this.

............Dave

We came past on foot last October. We asked the local CRt rep selling memberships without a voice, why the basin was so empty, and he said" BECAUSE ITS THE CLOSED SEASON".

I challenged him on this, and he had actually been to a CRT volley session where this was given out as a reason for quiet moorings and nobody around the pub.? 

He was a decent chap and accepted our arguments over Winter closures..he had also been forced to manage a major stoppage over 2 weekends when he was supposed to be selling Friends signup as CRT couldnt find a salaried operative to manage the situation.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We came past on foot last October. We asked the local CRt rep selling memberships without a voice, why the basin was so empty, and he said" BECAUSE ITS THE CLOSED SEASON".

I challenged him on this, and he had actually been to a CRT volley session where this was given out as a reason for quiet moorings and nobody around the pub.? 

He was a decent chap and accepted our arguments over Winter closures..he had also been forced to manage a major stoppage over 2 weekends when he was supposed to be selling Friends signup as CRT couldnt find a salaried operative to manage the situation.

Its odd that its empty/mostly empty. I thought that some of the spaces were long term/residential moorings. The others are visitor moorings but desirable because they are some of the very few 14 day moorings in central Brum.

I am originally from Brum and liked to visit twice every year. Its hard work, its a lot of locks in to and out of Brum, but the Flapper was one of the attractions. Now its gone we am much more likely to bypass Brum altogether and go round the Coventry canal on our North to South travels.

.................Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its odd that its empty/mostly empty. I thought that some of the spaces were long term/residential moorings. The others are visitor moorings but desirable because they are some of the very few 14 day moorings in central Brum.

I am originally from Brum and liked to visit twice every year. Its hard work, its a lot of locks in to and out of Brum, but the Flapper was one of the attractions. Now its gone we am much more likely to bypass Brum altogether and go round the Coventry canal on our North to South travels.

.................Dave

I wonder if it just looks a bit grim now. 
Who’d like to moor outside a closed pub with empty pontoons?

I always enjoyed mooring there after coming in from Fazeley. It was busy and it felt safe to wander off and leave your boat. The locals would laff and jeer at boaters who messed it up when winding or mooring. You kind of felt there was always some nosey sod watching the boats. Like real life cctv cameras watching out. Enough to put casual vandals off. 

There are plenty of other boozers so it won’t stop me going back. 

But I’ll miss having a pub at the top of a flight, there should always be a pub at the top ☹️

and the bottom 

and some in between. 

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I think CRT have actively cleared the moorings.

When we came by last year, the volocky said thw basin was empty due to closed season. 

He has only been fed this from CRT.

I do fear that CRT have been a bit ambivalent (two faced) about this proposed development. On one hand they really should be supporting boats and boating, but on the other hand they are themselves slightly dodgy property developers so do have an affinity with other dodgy property developers.

.................Dave

Just arrived at Cambrian wharf, 4 other boats moored here on the pontoons and one bank side just out of shot on the photo above. Birmingham is very quiet not many boats or people tbh but it is raining. My first time here and I’m pleased to be moored in the centre.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Jinna said:

Just arrived at Cambrian wharf, 4 other boats moored here on the pontoons and one bank side just out of shot on the photo above. Birmingham is very quiet not many boats or people tbh but it is raining. My first time here and I’m pleased to be moored in the centre.

Good stuff ?

have you got yourself a BCN map?

if not you can get one from the office where you are, if it’s open. 
only £5ish

there are lots of places you can explore, using Cambrian wharf as a base to return to. 

• Greenie 1

The office is closed, as are the facilities? I’ve just called crt to ask why and the lady on the phone is going to get back to me. There’s 3 locks on the door, one being bw key, which works but the other 2 locks are, err locked ? Talking to a chap moored nearby he says they were open yesterday. Bin store is ok, it’s just the elsan toilets and shower.

3 hours ago, Jinna said:

The office is closed, as are the facilities? I’ve just called crt to ask why and the lady on the phone is going to get back to me. There’s 3 locks on the door, one being bw key, which works but the other 2 locks are, err locked ? Talking to a chap moored nearby he says they were open yesterday. Bin store is ok, it’s just the elsan toilets and shower.

Maybe the local homeless have moved in again, seems to be a recurring issue with those facilities.

On 12/08/2020 at 23:20, Goliath said:

I wonder if it just looks a bit grim now. 
Who’d like to moor outside a closed pub with empty pontoons?

I always enjoyed mooring there after coming in from Fazeley. It was busy and it felt safe to wander off and leave your boat. The locals would laff and jeer at boaters who messed it up when winding or mooring. You kind of felt there was always some nosey sod watching the boats. Like real life cctv cameras watching out. Enough to put casual vandals off. 

There are plenty of other boozers so it won’t stop me going back. 

But I’ll miss having a pub at the top of a flight, there should always be a pub at the top ☹️

and the bottom 

and some in between. 

And pubs at every lock :)

• 10 months later...

News today 30 June 2021 on Midlands BBC:

Fans of pub thanked as it prepares to flap again

Fans of a well-known pub and music venue in Birmingham have been praised as a "massive factor" in it reopening next month.

The FlapperCopyright: The Flapper

The Flapper, on Kingston Row, near the canal, closed in January 2020 and the owner feared it would be bulldozed to make way for flats.

But, after public support and work by the city council, the venue will reopen on 21 July.

Owner Samantha Campbell-Whyte said the future of the Flapper was "touch and go for a while" but it has now undergone a revamp ahead of reopening.

"The voices of all those that protested to Birmingham City Council that The Flapper should not be demolished were immense and a massive factor in saving the building," she added.

Article share tools
  • Happy 1