Wood filler recommendations.....photos

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Billy Boy said:

For someone to build a wheel with the equipment and glues they had in the 50s I'd say they had a rough idea of what they were doing. Nearly 70 years old and just a few cracks I'd say fair wear and tear.

Clearly you were not around in the 50's, but they had waterproof wood glue much earlier than that, I still have a tin of Cascamite glue in my workshop which is probably older than me. It is a white powder which when mixed with water, produces a glue which is strong, gap filling, and waterproof, it used to be used extensively in the construction of external joinery such as doors and sash windows. With regard to the wheel itself, it is not constructed in the same manner as a Shipwright would normally construct one, they would use a similar proceedure to a wheelwright but with only one spoke to each feloe, and feloes joined away from the spokes.

As for wheel making equipment, belt driven machinery for the manufacture of wheels was invented in America in the 19th century, they have an operational one at the Ballaratt Heritage museum in Australia,

603211131_shipswheel.jpg.d7230973074bd3e897a8d1002b924a41.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

12 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Clearly you were not around in the 50's, but they had waterproof wood glue much earlier than that, I still have a tin of Cascamite glue in my workshop which is probably older than me. It is a white powder which when mixed with water, produces a glue which is strong, gap filling, and waterproof, it used to be used extensively in the construction of external joinery such as doors and sash windows. With regard to the wheel itself, it is not constructed in the same manner as a Shipwright would normally construct one, they would use a similar proceedure to a wheelwright but with only one spoke to each feloe, and feloes joined away from the spokes.

As for wheel making equipment, belt driven machinery for the manufacture of wheels was invented in America in the 19th century, they have an operational one at the Ballaratt Heritage museum in Australia,

603211131_shipswheel.jpg.d7230973074bd3e897a8d1002b924a41.jpg

Sorry to disagree David but in that picture, looking at the grains, the feloes appear to be jointed into the spokes with a separate wooden ring made up of separate parts with the joints centered in the middle of each feloe & very securely screwed into the feloes & spokes to bind it all together. The grain & joints, & lack of joints in the middle of the feloes is quite clear.

9 hours ago, sharpness said:

Sorry to disagree David but in that picture, looking at the grains, the feloes appear to be jointed into the spokes with a separate wooden ring made up of separate parts with the joints centered in the middle of each feloe & very securely screwed into the feloes & spokes to bind it all together. The grain & joints, & lack of joints in the middle of the feloes is quite clear.

You are absolutely correct, and I thank you for drawing it to my attention. Looking more closely at pictures of wheels actually installed on ships, it would appear that they are normally constructed in that manner, one never ceases to learn. Consequently, I withdraw my earlier observations about the construction of ships wheels, which I had previously believed to be built in the same manner as cart and carriage wheels. If the new forum software allowed it, I would ammend my earlier posts.

9 hours ago, Billy Boy said:

I was born in the 50s David, I was referring to its age 70 years isn't bad with wood and metal shrinking and expanding over that period it's done pretty well. 

I agree, however, the main purpose of my observautions were about the glues and machinery available to construct wheels more than 70 years ago.

Edited by David Schweizer