hot water for shower and sink

Featured Posts

Hi guys - I'm new to the narrow boat world and am about to start fitting out my own. 

What is the most effective way of heating water for shower etc. on a live aboard? Gas or electric or possibly some combination?

All have pros and cons.

gas - on demand, expensive running costs if used for heating the boat as well so keep to just hot water.

calorifier, think hot water tank like houses used to have - heated via external sources (can be multiple sources) like engine and/or diesel heater but also can be done by immersion heater so good if on shore power.  Diesel heater can be used for heating as well. Cons is that it isn’t instant if you need to heat the water up.  

diesel combi heater, prob good if you have a wide beam as they tend to be 11kw+ and want it for 24/7 boat heating, Provides instant hot water and reliable 24/7 diesel heating.  Expensive tho.

Diesel heaters can range from cheaper, not really meant for 24/7 heating but okay to get the boat warm/hot water from cold too reliable 24/7 heating, so it’s a question in itself on what’s best for you if you want a diesel heater.

Edited by Robbo

Thanks so far guys - 

My boat is a new build and at the moment is just a pile of steel but I expect delivery of a sailaway in September

I am expecting to have to cc sometimes but I hope to be able to put her in marinas from time to time as my work dictates. 

Unless I am working away I will be living on board. 

I must admit that I'm having some difficulty with the layout of the bathroom and galley at the moment as I have only ever been out on hire boats and the setup they use is quite different to my requirements as a single guy.

Just now, Rob Lyall said:

Thanks so far guys - 

My boat is a new build and at the moment is just a pile of steel but I expect delivery of a sailaway in September

I am expecting to have to cc sometimes but I hope to be able to put her in marinas from time to time as my work dictates. 

I must admit that I'm having some difficulty with the layout of the bathroom and galley at the moment as I have only ever been out on hire boats and the setup they use is quite different to my requirements as a single guy.

If you’ve not looked at many boats before, have a wander on apolloduck and visit brokers to get a feel of what layouts will work for you.   May be viable to act like your interested in buying tho if visiting :)   Also suggest to post your layout thoughts here as you’ll get many comments and suggestions both good and bad!

I have a Reflex diesel stove with the plumbing arranged so that I can either heat up just the radiators, or just the calorifier, or both.

In the summer it takes 30 minutes to heat up all the hot water needed for a couple of days; in the winter the radiators quickly heat up the boat in a similar time.

One of the advantages of a Reflex, is that the stainless steel exterior with an air gap doesn't radiate all that much heat;  most of the heat goes to the calorifier or radiators.  

1 hour ago, Rob Lyall said:

quite different to my requirements as a single guy.

Take a long view as to your requirements.  I started fitting out my sailaway 7 years ago and my requirements have changed significantly 4 or 5 times since.  Once fitted out, though possible, changing things is awkward and time-consuming.  I'm just about to dump my calorifier and rely entirely on an instant gas water heater (Morco) as the extra space released is more valuable than the reliability of supply of having 2 sources of water heating.

1 hour ago, Rob Lyall said:

Thanks so far guys - 

My advice would be buy secondhand what you think you will like and live with it a year or two then you will have a better idea of what you realy want.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Especially as the current versions do not allow copper in the plumbing so plastic pipes and stainless steel calorifier.

I'm partial to a little Speedfit.. ;)

Plus you can take it to copper.

Edited by 70liveaboard

For a liveaboard it's a good idea to have as many different options as you can fit/afford. I have a calorifier heated from the engine & immersion with timer (when on shore power) and a gas water heater. I fitted a L port valve between the two hot water sources.

I've seen the compact 3020 fitted to smaller boats. LPG/240v (lpg with 12v side). Great for a few radiators, but limited hot water to the tap, 8ltrs or so. But there is the 'Flow' you can fit prior to the compact, gives continuous hot water. But the two together, will cost, well say goodbye to a few grand. :(

12 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

I'm partial to a little Speedfit.. ;)

Plus you can take it to copper.

But would you risk it with an aluminium  eat exchanger in the Alde. I would be far from sure there was no negative path connecting the Alde to any copper components in the system and if there is one you have the potential for galvanic perforation of the heat exchanger.

9 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

I've seen the compact 3020 fitted to smaller boats. LPG/240v (lpg with 12v side). Great for a few radiators, but limited hot water to the tap, 8ltrs or so. But there is the 'Flow' you can fit prior to the compact, gives continuous hot water. But the two together, will cost, well say goodbye to a few grand. :(

I would suggest that the 240 volt bit (water eating) is somewhat unnecessary as long a syou havs a calorifier because the Alde 's radiator circuit will happily heat the calorifier if suitably plumbed. Of course its different if you don't want a calorifier and are happy to sacrifice the "free" hot water whlst cruising.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But would you risk it with an aluminium  eat exchanger in the Alde. I would be far from sure there was no negative path connecting the Alde to any copper components in the system and if there is one you have the potential for galvanic perforation of the heat exchanger.

To be honest, I can't really see a problem with it, other than the price. ;)

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would suggest that the 240 volt bit (water eating) is somewhat unnecessary as long a syou havs a calorifier because the Alde 's radiator circuit will happily heat the calorifier if suitably plumbed. Of course its different if you don't want a calorifier and are happy to sacrifice the "free" hot water whlst cruising.

240v would be shore hookup if the person has the access to one.

I've never been a fan of calorifier's. I know many like them, but they just don't appeal to me. Its cheap hot water via one yes, but you have to cruise (I'm all for that), or fast idle (not a thing I would do).

Its great yes, cruising you would have a tank full for whatever, but I much prefer other options. Just personal pref really.

Edited by 70liveaboard

12 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

To be honest, I can't really see a problem with it, other than the price. ;)

I have not seen anyone fit an Alde Gas system to their boat, but I have seen more than a few remove Alde systems as they are gas-guzzlers ( one or two gas bottles a week in cold weather was not unusual)

On 'high' setting (which obviously isn't continuous) the 3020 uses almost 500g per hour - at that rate, a £30 (13kg) gas cylinder would last just over 1 day. In practice they seem to last 3 ish days but at £60 per week, its an expensive option.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have not seen anyone fit an Alde Gas system to their boat, but I have seen more than a few remove Alde systems as they are gas-guzzlers ( one or two gas bottles a week in cold weather was not unusual)

On 'high' setting (which obviously isn't continuous) the 3020 uses almost 500g per hour - at that rate, a £30 (13kg) gas cylinder would last just over 1 day. In practice they seem to last 3 ish days but at £60 per week, its an expensive option.

Don’t use gas for heating the boat but only for hot water.  Any gas system will be expensive to heat the boat.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On the other hand, I've seen large numbers fitted, not sure how often people remove them. But on the whole I like the system. I didn't say it was cheap. Consumpsion has lots of variables, so can't really say. I've had a good experience with them though.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Don’t use gas for heating the boat but only for hot water.  Any gas system will be expensive to heat the boat.

Agreed - the problem comes when "I've got an Alde fitted, so as I'm a liveaboard and it gets a bit chilly in the Winter, I'll fit some central heating ……………"

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed - the problem comes when "I've got an Alde fitted, so as I'm a liveaboard and it gets a bit chilly in the Winter, I'll fit some central heating ……………"

That comes with most systems. That's when you buy a stove..

Of course your the expert.. ?

Plus they were the heating of choice in most major hire boat companies. But that was the tall unit. I have that.

Edited by 70liveaboard