Gas appliances and BSS

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Har har. Do you still buy petrol in gallons, and if so, UK or US gallons? 

I still work out my MPG (and so does the car computer)

I still drive in mph

The road signs are still in 'miles'

I still drive on the right (correct) side of the road

I still drinks 'pints'

I still weigh myself in St & Lbs

I'll be glad when the rest of the world catches up !!!

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If only, if only, we had gone completely metric in the 1960s.

Ah, but I believe that the world wide metric pipe thread IS BSP under another name. e.g. 1/2" Bsp is the same as G1/2

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I still drive in mph

I still drinks 'pints'

Muricans have some strange ideas tho':

1 (US) fl oz = 30ml

1 (US) pint = 16 (US) fl oz = 480ml

1 (US) ton = 2000 lb

and those are just the ones I know about.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I still drive in mph

I still drinks 'pints'

Do you drive far?

Ah the ton, the Long ton (UK) at 2240lbs, the Metric ton (tonne) at about 2204lbs and the Short ton (US) at 2000lbs.

The short ton is more logical (if that is possible with the imperial system) as it has 100lbs in a hundredweight (cwt) whereas the UK has 112lbs in a hundredweight, with both having 20 cwt to the ton.

12 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If only, if only, we had gone completely metric in the 1960s.

I believe France still uses BSP sizes for threaded connections so not much chance of change for a bit.

If using 10mm compression  fittings, can you use a 3/8" olive in the 10mm fitting, like you can use a 3/4" olive in a 22mm compression joint to connect old 3/4" pipe to 22mm pipe?

I think we need to remember that this thread is about gas appliances / fittings. While it may be possible to get away with chopping and changing between metric and imperial on water, that might not be advisable for gas. 

I'm still not too sure about taking the compression nut and olive out of the 15mm end or this Morco isolator and screwing a 1/2" female BSP fitting onto it. I'll use some gas PTFE tape but I'm hoping that the 1/2 BSP thread on the fitting I've ordered is tapered because I could be wrong, but my understanding was that two parallel threads shouldn't be used to make a gas tight joint? 

Edited by blackrose

Best practice is both male and female either tapered or parallel. Male tapered into female parallel will seal; male parallel into female tapered usually won't, and often results in damaged fittings.

7 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Best practice is both male and female either tapered or parallel. Male tapered into female parallel will seal; male parallel into female tapered usually won't, and often results in damaged fittings.

Ok thanks. Well ASAP supplies don't hang about and I got the fitting today. It does work but they're both straight threads so there's no seal between the threads and I'll be relying on a piece of gas ptfe tape. 

IMG_20180705_183156.jpg

IMG_20180705_182924.jpg

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks Mike. I'll be using the gas PTFE on the yellow reels which is much thicker than the normal stuff. 

And don't forget to wind the tape on in the correct direction. Wind it the same direction as the fitting screws on,''r/h thread?'' . The wrong way and the tape can pukker up and unwind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

And don't forget to wind the tape on in the correct direction. Wind it the same direction as the fitting screws on,''r/h thread?'' . The wrong way and the tape can pukker up and unwind.

Seen that a few times

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Yes thanks. I've done plenty of plumbing. 

My father-in-law refers to BSP as "iron" as in a 3/4 iron fitting or whatever.  Obviously this dates from when iron (or steel) pipe was in common use, but the usage persists even now we are more frequently referring to brass to brass.  I have picked up the habit too.

Is this a regional expression - or is it widespread?

And the use of the word ''Barrel'' for pipe is interesting too. Apparently during Victorian times when the Gas light and Coke Co were laying gas pipework in the streets and into houses and whatnot they used up thousands of old redundant rifle barrels left over from all the wars, sent them to machine shops who machined a female thread on one end and a male thread on the other, so that they'd all screw together to make gas lines. They were made of gunmetal of course. Some are still in use today I believe as they still come across them sometimes when digging to do a repair.   Hence the word ''Barrel'' often used for water and gas pipe.

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

And the use of the word ''Barrel'' for pipe is interesting too. Apparently during Victorian times when the Gas light and Coke Co were laying gas pipework in the streets and into houses and whatnot they used up thousands of old redundant rifle barrels left over from all the wars, sent them to machine shops who machined a female thread on one end and a male thread on the other, so that they'd all screw together to make gas lines. They were made of gunmetal of course. Some are still in use today I believe as they still come across them sometimes when digging to do a repair.   Hence the word ''Barrel'' often used for water and gas pipe.

Looks like just you and me, Bizzard.  I too would use "barrel" for a screw-jointed pipe (i.e iron/steel) but not for copper or plastic.  I had no idea of the history behind the use; there must have been a lot of joints though.

8 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Looks like just you and me, Bizzard.  I too would use "barrel" for a screw-jointed pipe (i.e iron/steel) but not for copper or plastic.  I had no idea of the history behind the use; there must have been a lot of joints though.

Wouldn’t pass today’s BSS requirement for no unnecessary joints?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its only plumbing all this gas malarkey 

No it isn't. 

Flueing and ventilation is 67% of this gas malarky. At least. 

In fact I'd say possibly as much as 80% of the exam questions are on flueing and ventilation rather than the supply pipes. 

• Happy 1