Marple Locks shut for another week

MartinClark

Featured Posts

Marple Lock 11 update from CRT, 29th June:
- Marple Locks will remain closed for a further week.
A large number of the stones have moved and are now at 6ft 11in, the minimum required to allow 6’10’’ boats to pass through the lock.
Some stones have not moved back to allow sufficient clearance, so it has been decided that some masonry should be planed to achieve the require width within the lock.
The stoppage will be reassessed at the end of next week.

lock11-01.jpg

To give credit where it's due, CRT told us what they were going to try to do and told us when to expect the next update (today) - which they duly did before close of play today.  We now know what they're going to try next and when to expect the reassessment of the flight's status.  I think that's pretty decent communication and is to be applauded.

Mrs TNC is really looking forward to a quick whizz round the bottom of the Cheshire Ring.

What with the strategically planned Bosley stoppage(s)*, the UPF / top of the Macc is getting like Royston Vasey.

stoppage(s)*

I see the Stoppage notice now has the two sets of dates

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, tinkertaylor said:

Hi all, hire boat fan here, planning to do the Cheshire ring from Anderton Marina and waiting on the Marple lock situation to unfold. Anyway there has been a development that could mean its opening from the 11th........or maybe not

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13158/lock-11-peak-forest-canal-marple

Yep - but it was also going to open on Friday 6th July right up until that evening.  I'm in the area at the moment having hoped to go down today - I'm feeling a bit like the donkey following the carrot on a stick! Still, not a lot of choice as the Bosley locks are also closed Mon, Tue & Wed.  Que sera sera.

1 minute ago, tinkertaylor said:

i have until the 28th of July, after that date its alternative routes for me I'm afraid, got to get my annual canal kicks in a yearly 7 day window......for now

I rather fancy it'll either open on Wednesday evening with the temporary repair being successful enough to reopen the flight until a proper repair in the "stoppage season", or else it'll be declared untenable and the lock will be out until the proper job is complete.  Either way, the decision will be known in good time for your holiday. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I rather fancy it'll either open on Wednesday evening with the temporary repair being successful enough to reopen the flight until a proper repair in the "stoppage season", or else it'll be declared untenable and the lock will be out until the proper job is complete.  Either way, the decision will be known in good time for your holiday. 

Thanks, fingers crossed you get through before the rabble arrive .......

Happy days, the Cheshire ring is open, restricted but still open. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/13158/lock-11-peak-forest-canal-marple

"Further monitoring of Marple Lock 11 has shown no significant further movement of the lock chamber, and it has been deemed safe to operate the lock for boats up to 6’10” wide under assisted passage from the afternoon of Thursday 12th July.  Canal and River Trust Staff will be available to assist boats through the lock on Thursday between 09:00 and 10:00, and subsequently between the hours of 15:00 -16:00 in the afternoon on each day.  Engineers will continue to monitor the lock to identify if any further movement does occur, although we hope that it does not.  It may become necessary to shut the lock again at short notice if further movement does occur, and boaters should take this possibility into account when making plans. 

It is hoped that we will be able to continue navigation (albeit restricted and assisted) throughout the majority of the summer boating season, before the lock will be shut for more permanent repairs in the autumn.  The design of these works is ongoing, and ground investigations may require additional restrictions from time to time, these will be minimised and will be advertised as appropriate."

30 minutes ago, tinkertaylor said:

...from the afternoon of Thursday 12th July.  Canal and River Trust Staff will be available to assist boats through the lock on Thursday between 09:00 and 10:00...

So it opens Thursday afternoon, which appears to include the hours between 0900 and 1000.  I know I've left the Navy, but I thought I still had the 24hr clock down to pat! :blink:

• Haha 1