Aerial views of Suttons Stop

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I don't condone the use of drones, unless in the hands of competent and insured individuals.  As this pilot appears to be.

This video has nothing to do with me, nor do I know the person who made it.  I offer it for interest to those who may have never seen Hawkesbury Jtcn (Suttons Stop).

My other point of interest is that I'm in it. 

I'm not the pleasant looking 60' coming down The Coventry towards the junction. I'm the rather scruffy 34' heading to the lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__5ys60lkkc

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I don't condone the use of drones, unless in the hands of competent and insured individuals.  As this pilot appears to be.

This video has nothing to do with me, nor do I know the person who made it.  I offer it for interest to those who may have never seen Hawkesbury Jtcn (Suttons Stop).

I'm not the pleasant looking 60' coming down The Coventry towards the junction. I'm the rather scruffy 34' heading to the lock.

Out of interest is it possible to make that film and stay within the law?

The pilot just did, not a congested area, morning shoot when pub closed, drone never out of sight of operator. Nicknorman's view of what's right with drones doesn't actually correspond with what's really legal and illegal.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Amazing how it can stay so still in mid air.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The pilot just did, not a congested area, morning shoot when pub closed, drone never out of sight of operator.

You think he stayed 150ft away from buildings or people? That low shot through the bridge would have been about 40ft from the Greyhound and/or the cottages. 

Current code: http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf

New code from 30th July: http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Dronecode_2018-07-30.pdf

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The pilot just did, not a congested area, morning shoot when pub closed, drone never out of sight of operator. Nicknorman's view of what's right with drones doesn't actually correspond with what's really legal and illegal.

From the CAA website.

If your drone is fitted with a camera, there are also a number of additional limitations surrounding where you can fly it, and how close you can fly it to other uninvolved people or objects. In order to be able to fly within these areas, or closer than the minimum distances that are in the regulations, you must obtain prior Permission from the CAA to do so.   

So despite we can see people and the film suggests it drops quite low at times it isn't close to uninvolved people or objects?  150 feet I think if equipped with a camera and 500 feet from built up areas.  I don't know Sutton Stop but it doesn't seem to be 150 feet from people and 500 from buildings.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

Fascinating footage of a junction which we have juncted (?) many times, thanks for posting it.

You can't junct a junction unless you join it and become adjuncted, unless its adjoining the adjacent adjustable jurisdiction. 

Time to adjourn. 

Edited by rusty69
Adjustments

I took some drone footage while out last week. I’m still a beginner user but 50m high isn’t that far when looking at footage, I did however spend ages waiting for clear stretches of canal before using mine. The 150m is for large crowds or large congested areas like city centres, not individual buildings or villages. It is also only a guidance code, the new actual laws only stipulate a max altitude of 120m and not within 1km of an airport boundary which I think is too close anyway. 

I’m trying to be a responsible user but there are those that don’t care. 

Once I the weather changes I’ll spend time indoors editing my footage and post on here. Joe

• Greenie 1

No idea of  the law/s regarding  Drones but the steerer of the boat coming from Bedworth failed his working steerers practical exam he failed to get his boat around the bridge turn in one without using reverse less than full length as well?

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, joe1978 said:

The 150m is for large crowds or large congested areas like city centres, not individual buildings or villages.

That is correct. It’s 50m from individual buildings. Knowing Sutton Stop I’d be happy to bet that he wasn’t >50m from the pub. 

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Has no one invented a hand held zapper of some sort that interferes with the controls?

Yes, there are loads on YouTube and really quite easy to make if you now a little about radio transmitters. I suspect it would touch an area of illegality, but fun to watch them crash I suppose.

On 01/07/2018 at 16:01, X Alan W said:

No idea of  the law/s regarding  Drones but the steerer of the boat coming from Bedworth failed his working steerers practical exam he failed to get his boat around the bridge turn in one without using reverse less than full length as well?

My missus failed when she threw a left to go down in front of the Greyhound when going down to Oxford one time. In fairness she hardly ever drives and it was heavy to steer 70 footer and she NEARLY got it round. Its easy usualy but dont ask me what I did in a piddly 56 footer near on thirty years ago :wacko:

We were there recently and its a shame the drone didn't get a shot of the guy who came out of the stop lock with loads of throttle on and we all assumed was going down the Coventry arm, as he seemed to make no real attempt to turn hard.  In fact he made no attempt to turn at all and rammed the base of the bridge at quite a speed.  The bow left the water and I saw it later with a massive dent in it - no mean feat on a reinforced bow.  God knows what damage was done inside.  He then made a complete horlicks of turning north. There was considerable damage to the stonework as well.  Which all goes to show that one of the best boating pastimes is to safely moor your own boat and then  sit outside a pub with a beer and watch others cock it up!! 

• Happy 1