Folding cleats

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I've finally succumbed and bought a pair of these (from the Force 4 website). Will make getting on and off the boat quite a bit safer - previously this line went to the T-stud on the bows. I am sure I will be able to think of loads of other uses for them as well. 

I forgot to take a photo of the cleat when it is folded down but you can see the space where it folds into.

20180628_175422.jpg

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Will they be strong enough for a steel narrowboat?  I can see them working for a light yoghurt pot but 20 odd tons of narrowboat?

I think so - they are pretty solidly made.  I know several people who have them and have had no problems.

I wouldn't use them to stop the boat eg if surging forward in a lock, or as the sole mooring point, but they are handy eg if you are moored alongside other boats, or need an extra spring, or want something to  take a turn around eg if your bow line is round a riser cable. 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Will they be strong enough for a steel narrowboat?  I can see them working for a light yoghurt pot but 20 odd tons of narrowboat?

I wondered the same, but then thought that a 7 tonne yoghurt pot moored in an exposed coastal marina with winds and tides affecting it will probably be subjected to much higher forces that a 20 tonne sewer-tube moored on a 'still water' muddy ditch.

My concern would be mounting them in that position would be as a trip-hazard.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wondered the same, but then thought that a 7 tonne yoghurt pot moored in an exposed coastal marina with winds and tides affecting it will probably be subjected to much higher forces that a 20 tonne sewer-tube moored on a 'still water' muddy ditch.

I'll let you know: not fallen in yet (48 years cruising, so I am really tempting fate). Crew are advised to use the sidedeck to the left ie by the bulkhead, so they have something to hold on to. When folded down the cleat is at same height as the lip on the sidedeck.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have some secondary cleats on this boat of heavy brass construction used as described by the OP they are useful. However mine are fitted out of the well deck area nearer the pointy end. They are still very useful and close to hand but not a trip hazard. The problem with  most of these like shown here and mine is the fixings are usualy just threaded bar bolted underneath.

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sorry if I was unclear. In a lock I'd be using my main bow line which is attached to the normal T-stud, and/or a stern line on the stern dolly.

Fairy Nuff. I was just making the general point that in an emergency the tendency is to grab first and think later!

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That would have been my concern, however the owner appears to have thought about that.

Not only is there a conveniently placed mat to arrest the tumble, but it's also very polite.

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

That would have been my concern, however the owner appears to have thought about that.

Not only is there a conveniently placed mat to arrest the tumble, but it's also very polite.

That's my neighbour's mat. Mine would read as followsWELCOME.jpg.7f3fea35a14f956acf00245d2951977a.jpg