The Guardian- 10 of the UK’s best waterside pubs

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

Of course all of these pubs will now be awash with sandal wearing pinko liberal wishy washy lefties discussing the environment, Ed Sheeran and exchanging quinoa recipes after this article.

We need a Daily Mail review of the same pubs to be published immediately to redress the balance.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, billS said:

The faggots at the Dog and Doublet were indescribably bad.

Reading the article I am rather as to why it was chosen for

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I like the comments for The Dog and Doublet

I am rather bemused as to why the D & D was chosen for an article about UK’s best waterside pubs when even the article says that the food is average and bad service!

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I like the comments for The Dog and Doublet

This was where we had the worst meal we have ever had the misfortune to buy, one cold December night in 2011.

Mrs S reminds me that we ate there on the way into Brum, and it was awful. The diary she wrote called us gluttons for punishment as we went there on the way back too. In our defence we were ice breaking all day the first time, and consequently knackered and cold,  but the second time just cold and tired.

Edited by Stilllearning
Memory lapse

2 hours ago, carlt said:

Of course all of these pubs will now be awash with sandal wearing pinko liberal wishy washy lefties discussing the environment, Ed Sheeran and exchanging quinoa recipes after this article.

We need a Daily Mail review of the same pubs to be published immediately to redress the balance.

Oi, Apart from the sandals, Sheeran and Quinoa that's me yer talking about. How about the Queen Vic in Albert Square for the other side? Gloomy, backward looking, always complaining and living in the past. (I am told the square is only a stones throw from the Thames.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Use your Brain's Smelly!

Tee-hee.

Also known as "savoury ducks" in the North though I don't know why.

I wonder if that pub was included exactly because it was a throwback to how canalside pubs used to be many years ago, one which remains untarted-up.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tee-hee.

Also known as "savoury ducks" in the North though I don't know why.

I wonder if that pub was included exactly because it was a throwback to how canalside pubs used to be many years ago, one which remains untarted-up.

Wikipedia:

Faggots are also known as "ducks" in the Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Lancashire, often as "Savoury Ducks". The first use of the term in print was in the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser of Saturday 3 June 1843, a news report of a gluttonous man who ate twenty of them.[7]

I hope it wasn't Dr Bob.I know he is partial to Duck

Yes, well my family was from Derbyshire and lived in Yorkshire when I was a boy, and that's when I heard the expression.

They bear little resemblance to mallards etc.; I wonder if they gained the name because they were ducked, or drenched, in gravy.

I grew up a few miles away from the D&D, and my old school mates dad used to own it.

It used to be much better then than it is now. The food, beer, gardens, events and clientele are all less desirable these days.

That said i'd still rank it high on canalside pubs as the food and beer arent bad, and its in a nice location.

Instead of stopping at the D & D last week we went to the establshment above the lock. Better ambience and food though it was a little odd. Iain ordered chicken supreme which was a bit of roasted chicken (no sauce) served with a large Yorkshire pudding potato and veg. Not what we think chicken supreme should be. It was at least cleaner than the D & D was the last time we were in 

Haggis 

3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Reading the article I am rather as to why it was chosen for

I am rather bemused as to why the D & D was chosen for an article about UK’s best waterside pubs when even the article says that the food is average and bad service!

I agree, I just enjoyed the posting

We had a pint and a sandwich at the Dog & Doublet yesterday (Wednesday) lunchtime. It was packed inside and out, so they must be doing something right. The food is average pub grub, the beer very good. 

I agree it’s an odd choice of a nationwide top ten waterside pub, but it’s a great place to be on a sunny afternoon. It would have been even better yesterday if they hadn’t been having their septic tank / drains pumped out!!!

• Haha 1

In the past 18 months I have been to:

Barge Inn Seend (K&A)    eatery but also ok pub

Barge Inn Honeystreet  (K&A) Was unique Now closed, please help it to re-open  https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/savethefamousbargeinnhoneystreet/?

Waterfront Pewsey (K&A)  Unique little place, with good food too

Lock Stock and Barrel (K&A) lovely Fullers ESB at eye watering price

Rowbarge (K&A)  Brunning and Price chain, bit costly, good beer and food, dog friendly

Cape of Good Hope Warwick   very good beer

James Brindley Birmingham   big city place but good if not too busy

Flapper Birmingham, Unique but now closed

Great Western Wolverhampton Unique

Anchor High Offey  Unique

Telfords Warehouse Chester  beer food and music

Hawkers Chester   another Brunning and Price slightly posh beer food and dogs place

Red Lion Winsford a bit out of the way but worth it

Big Lock Middlewich, uninspired beer but great location and good music at the festival

Kings Lock Middlewich   Good beer, good location.

Crooke Hall near Wigan A beer drinkers pub

Wharf Manchester    another Brunning and Price.

All off these are as good or better and more interesting than those in the Guardian article

................Dave

6 hours ago, dmr said:

James Brindley Birmingham   big city place but good if not too busy

Flapper Birmingham, Unique but now closed

................Dave

The James Brindley was closed for a number of years but is now open and called The Canal House. 

The Flapper is very much open and thriving. It was packed on Monday night.  It had a large banner outside announcing that they were not closed and open until at least June 2019. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

The James Brindley was closed for a number of years but is now open and called The Canal House. 

The Flapper is very much open and thriving. It was packed on Monday night.  It had a large banner outside announcing that they were not closed and open until at least June 2019. 

Yes, canal house, it also advertises boat repairs!!!? No real Ale but the IPA is rather nice. Gets very busy and has lots of bouncers. Our dog was their first ever doggie customer.

If you are right about the Flapper then that's excellent news, no mention of this on the "Save the Flapper" website???. I understood that the owner had withdrawn his planning application but also terminated the lease on the pub so I assumed he was planning to leave it empty and decaying for a year or so to wear down the campaign before re-submitting his plans.... quite a common strategy. How is the Prince of Wales??, that was sort of going rapidly downhill last time I was there and some of the locals had moved to the Flapper.

I seriously thought about boating to Brum to attend the last night of the Flapper but decided it would be too depressing. The Flapper is one of my top 5 pubs on the cut.

...............Dave

I haven't read the whole thread, but we spent sometime in the General Foods Social Club whilst in Banbury a day or so ago. Very welcoming. Inexpensive beer and stuff. Food lunchtimes only. Closes for the afternoon opens at 7 pm. The place is clean and well looked after. Always games of dominoes and Crib taking place. Darts as well. They have an Aunt Sally 'range' for those interested. Well worth a visit. Only one major downside. Only pump ale was Gloombar. I was getting used to it it got dragged away.

Would just like to add, we were travelling with another boat and Mike has mobility issues. He moored directly outside the club, opposite Tooleys, and just hobbled into the pleasant garden area.

Edited by Nightwatch