Cyclists and CRT Code

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's an interesting claim.

Do you mean it use more fuel per mile at 20mph than 50mph? Or do you mean more fuel per hour

The wind resistance rises with the square of the speed so lower speeds usually use a LOT less fuel per unit time than higher speeds, but far less distance is covered. 

Show us yer figures!

I would say Fuel per Mile , my Car's Fuel computer indicates  that.

7 hours ago, jds_1981 said:

Wow, you guys are crazy. Where exactly are these lanes where you are unable to anticipate approaching cyclists well enough so you can't perform a smooth overtake, it's quiet enough that they are the only cause of congestion, but it's still too busy to overtake them so rather than driving along at 40, you're stuck at 20 with your commutes taking 2 hours not 1?

I expect it’s mostly nonsense, just an excuse to have a go.

Oh, regarding long queues of traffic building up, if you do ever cycle busy (or indeed quiet) roads more often than not the first driver behind the cyclist has opportunities to overtake, but doesn’t for quite some time. Whilst appreciating good manners and patience, it can cause more ill feeling towards the two wheelers.

Also don’t forget some roads are very old and were originally made when traffic was quieter and vehicles were smaller. The A51 between Tarporley and Nantwich for example is a horrible road in a car, let alone a bike.

I never said my journey takes twice as long. I have at least half an hour spare going to work so the minute or two delay is no problem. I simply challenge the assertion that if cyclists were in cars I would face more congestion, (they will all be in cars in a month). This is true of Cities no doubt but we don't all live in one. 

• 1 month later...

Certainly more cyclists using the appropriate cycle paths and designated routes helps to take them out of the drivers seat. All that is asked is that behave responsibly. The main complaint in the various submissions on this website and elsewhere, is that there are those that do not behave sensibly or with due consideration for others.

What is required is that more cycle paths are created. Not all canal towpaths are suited to cyclist use. For many years, the use of cycles on towpaths was restricted, or not permitted. Imagine the problems caused should a speeding cyclist meet a horse on a narrow towpath- and I do wonder how the Horse Boats cope these days!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...