Staffs and Worcs and Stourbridge headroom

Graham and Jo

Featured Posts

Guys and Gals, I can't seem to find out exactly how much headroom is on these two canals. Dotterel is 6 ft 2.5 ins at the cratch. She did fit through Gosty Hill Tunnel though. Any advice on bits where I might need to take down the cratch appreciated. Taking it down lowers the boat to 5 ft 6.5 inches in the middle and a touch lower on the hand rails.

Cheers Graham

25 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I can't remember any extra low structures on the S&W down to Stourbridge.  Canal planner will give dimensions.

Air draft details in Canalplan are a bit patchy.... but people can add them

20 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

There doesn't seem much on the S&W on canal planner apparently Brettell Lane Bridge is tight on the Stourbridge, canal planner says 6 ft for the canal so I guess it is that one.

Cheers Graham

We now take the chimney off for that one.The first chimney got a little battered...

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

There doesn't seem much on the S&W on canal planner apparently Brettell Lane Bridge is tight on the Stourbridge, canal planner says 6 ft for the canal so I guess it is that one.

Cheers Graham

Whittington Horse bridge, below Kinver, is much the same headroom  as Brettell Lane

You wont have a problem anywhere on the Staffs & Worcs. Our airdraft with the roof boxes is 6'6" and our watering can increases that to 6'11" (that will be the first to hit any low obstruction) and we had no problem at all. Haven't done the Stourbridge yet so cannot comment on clearances for that canal.

Ken

2 hours ago, NB Ellisiana said:

You wont have a problem anywhere on the Staffs & Worcs. Our airdraft with the roof boxes is 6'6" and our watering can increases that to 6'11" (that will be the first to hit any low obstruction) and we had no problem at all. Haven't done the Stourbridge yet so cannot comment on clearances for that canal.

Ken

Did the Stourbridge this year, never even thought about air draught.

2 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

Thanks for all the comments, it sounds as if we should be ok with, perhaps, a little caution at Brettell Lane. Cheers Graham

Try not to worry so much, it's meant to be a relaxing business!